XF5U-1 Flying Pancake FINISHED

ericg

Some more progress, and quite a busy day was had on this model. It was quite hot in Brisbane today so I spent my day of home reserve, alternating between swimming in the pool and working on this beast.

I finished all 8 propeller blades using the technique as above. It really does look very convincing and I am happy that I went down this path of using the decals. Just have to coat them with a clear coat and apply the yellow tips.

62E2802D-06DF-4D44-89BF-19D8E2D9E9C9_zps

I felt that a solution needed to be had for the attachment of the props to the spinners. Planet Model will have you using very short resin stubs that are glued into both parts which I reckon would have been a weak point. I substituted the resin parts for aluminium tube which was then further drilled into both parts. should make it alot stronger and also to run more true. Truth be told, I actually lost one of the two trees of 4 stubs and I couldn't be bothered casting another one! Here is the kit stubs (missing one of the stubs)

B1207E51-6EDF-4FD0-A3A5-84073C09940E_zps

I used my lathe to index each prop attachment, and as the props are going to be the biggest focal point, they need to be dead on. By just touching the cutting bit to each stub, I was able to get all 4 blades running accurately. Once the blades are ready to be glued into place I will do the same thing but line up each prop tip with the cutting bit.

A6B6F994-C077-41CA-A111-884A4939D459_zps

DB223069-8A79-4980-A244-AAE0100AE75D_zps

Tempting me to hit the `go' button.

21E7FFA7-9A7C-4AE0-B06A-ABC754D30698_zps

Here is the spinner with a couple of passes of Gunze Midnight Blue applied. I am quite pleased with how glossy this is coming straight from the airbrush.

CF64DC3F-F723-4FD4-B615-65BDD02C803B_zps

Onto the front office, and this is pretty sparse as is. I do think that a model should have seatbelts, I know that if I was tasked to fly this thing back then I would sure as hell make sure that I was strapped into it. Whilst I was online ordering the Uschi woodgrain decals, I ordered some RB productions seatbelts. These are rather complicated and require a bit of devotion to assemble, but they have my vote for one of the nicest pieces of aftermarket there is. Once together they look and act like the real thing and I cant wait to glue them in place. I have only done the lap belts at this stage and they are only test fitted.

I used my hold and fold to help hold down each join whilst the glue dried. The instructions called for the use of UHU glue, which I sent the Mrs to the shops to get me. She come back with some purple stuff which was not what I asked for, I was in the process of sending her back to get the right stuff but this stuff dries clear and I am glad that it was the stuff that I used. Being purple when it was applied it is easier to work out where the glue is (or isn't). 

46C17BFB-80BC-4C85-B28B-5BFE7EBBED07_zps

D9E80296-06BF-4E8F-A718-B4D12AAA89A9_zps

Here are the belts test fitted but not glued to the kit seat. Once done I think I will give the whole seat assembly a coat of future and then use a wash to pick out the detail. I am planning on opening the canopy on this model which may involve quite a bit of extra work as the canopy is vac-formed and there is no provision to do so in the kit. 

BCD46BC2-C4E9-4BDE-B0FF-6223C29B8E66_zps

62AC275B-ED4E-4226-AAB3-CEFBBF1EB786_zps

Here is the cockpit with a mix of black and white flory Promodeller wash to bring out the detail. I painted the seatbelts with a coat of Future so that the wash was a bit easier to remove. 

B0ECF47D-9C88-40C0-AF62-D97C3662F5AC_zps

Installed into the Body.

8762D761-4E95-4CAB-A075-BE91ABCEDEC7_zps

Here is the Instrument panel that I modified, as discussed earlier, the kit has no provision for detailing the instruments and the Instrument holes were far too small. I wanted to use Airscale decals to bring it up to scratch so a new IP face was made from plastic card with appropriately sized holes to fit the decal instruments. I used the post war jets set which is sort of appropriate for this model. Punching each out with a Waldron punch set has the dials fitting the panel exactly and really made an improvement to the detail of the kit.

0FC0B721-523E-4E2D-B57D-C4EB00334301_zps

detail Up!

EDF12766-BC88-43CD-A10A-766A150EAE76_zps

I just need to simulate the clear faces of the instruments and do a few more things then it will be ready to fit to the kit.

So I thought I would do a few little thing to this kit to make it a bit more detailed without going overboard.

Most pics of the machine show it with the rear stabilizer trim tab in the down position.

I removed it with my JLC razor saw. (one of these: http://www.umm-usa.com/catalog/tools_JLCsaw002.html)

ABC5B7BB-1948-4C5B-BA9A-7179EE2AE25A_zps

Sanded an angle into the face of the tab and then repositioned it.

95533DE8-76A2-44AA-B7FF-922EC2AE7191_zps

Here is the before and after. I also added the actuating rods and brackets to each side.

ADD253AE-CD9D-4F2D-9057-953AFB4AEEB6_zps

Here is a pic of the finished Nav light. This feature is scribed in the kit and it is fairly prominent on the real thing. I removed the resin with the JLC razor saw and then glued a chunk of clear resin from an old casting block in its place and then shaped it with the dremel and polished it using the same. The light is just a hole that I drilled and then filled with red paint.

237DBB16-5718-40A3-B4C3-E4663EBCDAF1_zps

The kit is missing the trim tabs on the rudders, I guess that it would have been easier to leave them off during the casting process. I made these up with plastic card.

24B70279-436A-44C2-AD56-5EF123683CB0_zps

Todays efforts. Really pops the back end of the kit with these simple additions.

02455300-30DE-4F9C-AB1C-18D4871278D8_zps

The kit canopy is supposed to be glued in the closed position. I reckon this was too easy, and I like my canopies to be open, so this mod just had to be done. I have no idea how I am going to do the rear sliding canopy! I filled the behind of the canopy with blue-tak to allow me to cut the join easier and to stop it from flexing.

DB96564C-FCFE-42CE-8171-A239C82EE5DF_zps

I taped the front in place to allow some square section rod to be glued in place.

6D72BABC-B88E-4995-9FA3-739EADC2E184_zps

Here is the windshield ready for installation. I added a frame from plastic card. I also rubbed back the entire canopy and polished it `just because'.

884CB6FA-6D5A-482C-BDF3-92D95AD8EE52_zps

Guest Peterpools

Eric

Terrific progress on the Pancake and I am always picking up new tips and techniques from your builds.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks gents.

Some more progress, and the model has been primed. I initially primed the model with Gunze Sangyo Mr Resin Primer, thinned with Mr Thinner and sprayed through my airbrush. Once this was rubbed back, I then fixed a few of the major flaws and then used Tamiya Fine surface primer to re-prime the airframe. This gives an Ultra smooth and easily workable surface. From there I examine the surface of the model under strong light and mark with a lead pencil every small (or large) imperfection. Once the whole model is done in this way, it is a simple matter to go back and fix these things in an orderly fashion and this also keeps this part of the build on track.

Here is the props fitted just for fun. You will notice that I have not included the Hamilton Logos on one side, as in the reference pictures that I have, they are not fitted for some reason. Part of me wants to fit them and the other part wants to stick as closely to the original as possible.

14263F7F-5BE3-42D4-8F2D-7EC3CC048CDE_zps

You can sort of see some of the marks that I have made on the numerous fixes that need to be done.

4CEA24FF-F8DF-49F2-A987-075223FAEC4A_zps

One thing that was worrying me a bit about the kit was the landing gear. It is very simple and is quite weakly mounted in the kit. I set about beefing up the mounting points inside the wheel bays such that I would have more confidence in it when it was placed on the table or in the cabinet.

3D30D6C8-9CEC-407D-9FF8-D87F28AFECF4_zps

I also added a brake line from copper wire and will work on this some more soon.