New Decals - F-4J Phantom in Vietnam (VF-143 Pukin' Dogs)

ziggyfoos

Next 1/32 AOA sheet (32-016) release is a little different as it covers one specific F-4J Phantom (BuNo 155887) as she appeared during three Vietnam cruises while with the same squadron (VF-143 Pukin' Dogs, callsign "Taproom") and also same modex each time (102). Not a MiG killer, just one example of the many, many other Phantoms that took part in the war daily. The Pukin' Dogs Vietnam F-4B's have been covered in decal form before (again, because of MiG kills), their later wartime F-4Js have been neglected until now. Sheet covers the Vietnam/WESTPAC cruises: USS Constellation 1969-70, USS Enterprise 1971-72, and USS Enterprise 1972-73. Among others, thankfully received help from 102's own plane captain Tom Chergi from the 72-73 cruise.

For the 1972-73 cruise, this aircraft also bore the name of 143's XO, CDR Harley Hall, who sadly become the last Navy combat loss on 27 January 1973 flying Taproom 113 (the day the Paris Peace Accords were signed) and last American to be listed as POW. While his RIO was later released, there is still controversy and contradictions surrounding the ultimate fate of CDR Hall. If anyone saw the 1975 documentary "Threshold - The Blue Angel Experience", this was filmed during CDR Hall's time when he was the Blue Angels flight leader and as such is featured in it.

Back to the sheet: Unlike vast majority of AOA releases, only minimal stenciling/common markings are included, such as the different ejection seat warning triangles used for each cruise, static port stencils, national insignias, and two styles of jet intake warnings and RESCUE markings. F-4's were liberally covered with stencils and is too large of a project to be covered for this release. A full F-4 stencil and panel number decal sheet may be a future release from AOA (not currently planned as of today).

The sheet also includes fuel tank and FOD cover squadron identifiers.

Now in stock.

Printed by Cartograf.

Price $22 (free shipping in the US)

www.AOAdecals.com

(Click image for larger view)

COVER-32016.jpg

32016a.jpg

32016b.jpg

32016.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos

awesome! cant wait to see the profiles!!

MM

In the meantime, here's pretty much what they look like from some Wikimedia images:

69-70 Connie scheme (looks pretty similar to their previous Connie 68 cruise with the B's other than the color change to red):

632px-F-4J_Phantoms_on_USS_Constellation

And the 72-73 scheme (this is the F-4J CDR Hall was flying that was lost), the 71-72 scheme was similar except in red with black radomes and some other minor differences:

640px-F-4J_VF-143_launching_from_USS_Ent

Edited by ziggyfoos

Great sheet. Do this more often. Make a sheet dedicated to a special ac.

It didn't start that way intentionally. I began by wanting to ideally cover specifically 102 from the 72-73 cruise (or backup was 113, but I thought 102 more appropriate), and for the other two cruises I was going to do any of their aircraft. But once I had photos of 102 in the earlier cruises I went that route of doing only the same airframe. As it turns out, it actually worked for the best considering the massive size of F-4 markings. I thought the A-6 markings were large, the F-4 markings are even bigger. I originally wanted to keep this sheet small, but that didn't happen. Adding two different airframes would've required a third sheet for all the other big BuNos, modexs, and maybe NAVY too since others I saw had a wide "A" form at the top. Luckily most of those didn't change much from what I could tell for 102. As it is, the color sheet is a full 8.5"x11" sheet and the black/greys sheet is only slightly smaller.

I knew I was holding on to one last F-4J kit for a reason.. and here it is!

If the quality is on a par with your other work.. this will be a real treat - I'm working through a Trump A-4F  which will be the VA-155 option from your USN A-4 set .. they really are superb sheets.. and I'm looking forward to this J sheet .. 

ColinR

If the quality is on a par with your other work.. this will be a real treat - I'm working through a Trump A-4F  which will be the VA-155 option from your USN A-4 set .. they really are superb sheets.. and I'm looking forward to this J sheet ..

There will be a part 4 (of 4) with a few other A-4F options as well (only Vietnam again).

There will be a part 4 (of 4) with a few other A-4F options as well (only Vietnam again). 

Ok so I'm buying more A-4's ah well - bring them on ! .. Now where did I leave my F-4 kit.. got to be in the loft somewhere!