Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E/F Tiger II / Special Interest Group (SIG) !

SharkOwl

So one of the great mysteries for me after finishing my F-5E, is why this kit has the AIM-9B and AIM-9L but no AIM-9J. The vast majority of F-5Es were sold abroad with the AIM-9J and the aggressor birds carried the AIM-9L during and after ACEVAL/AIMVAL. If we have the adversary birds as decal options, why no ACMI pod (guess what's going to happen to my AIM-9s)? Having AIM-7s as an option made me wonder what research source was used for this kit? Yes, the (lack of) intake trunks was another mystery, but painting the inside of the fuselage black minimized that potential eyesore. Backdating the kit to an early F-5E turned out to be straightforward, especially with all of the good information in this thread, so thank you all!

kh_32018_58.jpg

6 hours ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Intake FOD covers/intake trunks welcome! The same for a set of nozzle shroud covers.
Kitty Hawk failed at properly replicating the double-wall nozzle structure - interior corrugated liner/outer nozzle shroud.

(apologies for the poor quality pics - quick & dirty cell phone shots)

OTkBj5z.jpg

LNxQTyr.jpg

loy0Qgy.jpg

the best way is to make the inner layer from scratch...I done it with alum. foil by my F-5A...

f5ms_8.jpg

f5a_conversion-cover-lg.jpg

Edited by Menelaos

Nice F-5A, Menelaos! 

Deep down my gut feeling tells me using the plastic parts from sprue F might be a better option. Maybe tonight I will slap them together to find out.

The outer nozzle shroud, kit parts F16+F17, comes with delicately recessed surface details. One thing is for sure, some of that detail will be lost after sanding. No dealbreaker for me since I'm planning to use Archer 3D Surface Details resin rivets (printed on decal film) to replicate the characteristic raised rivet lines on my F-5E builds. 

I've got yet to find out which of their set comes closest in terms of rivet size and rivet spacing.

0tBj87H.jpg

Edited by Ivan Ivanovich

From left to right:

Kit plastic parts (accurately replicating the double-wall structure), kit resin nozzle shroud minus casting block, kit resin nozzle shroud with thinned trailing edge.

Zdkpvpf.jpg

AcRP7K5.jpg

Contrary to my inital plan (see my previous post), I'm now sort of inclined to take the middle way, only thinning the shroud trailing edges.

What do you think? Close enough? Nevermind? Lazy bugger?

Feedback welcome!

Plan B:

OzXwEVH.jpg

Ivan Ivanovich contemplating...left hand fumbling for the dang toilet paper...followed by loud NSFW Russian cursing:

tJQKB2b.jpg

Edited by Ivan Ivanovich

• 2 weeks later...

Some details of the F-5F Tiger II Twin seater on the Kitty Hawk Group's facebook page.

Two resin pilots + One resin acces ladder ( ! ). (not 2 acces ladders....1).

Markings for US Navy, Iran, Thailand, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore & Switzerland.

B)

SharkOwl

Reference : https://www.facebook.com/groups/369828906819827/?fref=nf

Edited by SharkOwl

11 minutes ago, SharkOwl said:

Some details of the F-5F Tiger II Twin seater on the Kitty Hawk Group's facebook page.

Two resin pilots + One resin acces ladder ( ! ).

Markings for US Navy, Iran, Thailand, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore & Switzerland.

B)

SharkOwl

Reference : https://www.facebook.com/groups/369828906819827/?fref=nf

Thanks for posting that.

Now about were this seamless intake trunks.............

AM guys?

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Thanks for posting that.

Now about were this seamless intake trunks.............

AM guys?

Note that there is only one resin access ladder and not two, for a Twin Seater and that this resin acces ladder was not available for the previous single seater F-5E.

As the end consumer, I find it a little bit ''c****y'' marketing approach.

The final result ?

I continue to massively invest on the 1/48 scale F-5E/F-5F/RF-5E Tiger II family from AFV Club. 

And aftermarket decals sheets for 1/48 F-5E/F Tiger II is also massive, something that 1/32 decals

sheets market will never achieve !  

:huh:

SharkOwl

Edited by SharkOwl

I think I've gotten rid of every single 1/48th scale kit I have in my stash. The only remnants of that scale are in my display cabinet. Ill definitely need to wait for some intakes before investing in this kit. 

Other than the blatant intake issue, the KHM F-5 seems like a decent kit.