Mk V'c' Spitfire converted from Tamiya IX'c'?

Anthony in NZ

Here is a bit of inspiration for those looking to convert Tamiya to an earlier Mk Spitfire

Just wish I could find his WIP photos...

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=983

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

Here is a bit of inspiration for those looking to convert Tamiya to an earlier Mk Spitfire

Just wish I could find his WIP photos...

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=983

Cheers

Anthony

Certainly food for thought...   :coolio:

http://www.forum.modelarstwo.org.pl/viewtopic.php?t=43730&start=15

Edited by Kagemusha

• 1 month later...

Ok, another question (no I am not going to turn this into a build thread) if you see here on the Tamiya wing the inboard gun access cover panel has all the chutes fitted for the inboard cannon, however on some VC's there was only ever one cannon fitted with not even an outboard stub, apparently this added to the confusion as to where the IXB came from in the early days of IX production from what I can figure out?? So was this a std panel that would have chutes for both?

Anyway when converting Tamiya's IX wing to a V wing, would these outboard ones be blank when modelling a VC with only an inboard cannon fitted? I see on AR501's wing it is blank...would this be normal? I know it is a very ambiguous question. Would it help if I told you which VC I am planning?

Does this help....

AR501wing_zpsg6k5rxae.jpg

DSC_0002%202_zpsqabcozrm.jpg

I am sure Edgar would have known, I have checked his notes (unless I missed it) and the question hasn't come up before I think.

Cheers guys

Anthony

• 1 year later...

There was a conversion of the Tamiya Spitfire IX to an earlier Mark - a Mk I I think, by a Japanese modeller - that I thought I'd bookmarked, but can no longer find.

Does anyone recognise the article I mean, or even better have the link to it?

For a 1/32nd scale Spitfire MK. Vc conversion I believe I would start with a RoG Spitfire MK.IX and a Hasegawa Spitfire MK. V. The Hasegawa kit would be primarily used to supply the nose section. To improve the economics of the build I would  source at least the Hasegawa kit second hand. 

RD.

For a 1/32nd scale Spitfire MK. Vc conversion I believe I would start with a RoG Spitfire MK.IX and a Hasegawa Spitfire MK. V. The Hasegawa kit would be primarily used to supply the nose section. To improve the economics of the build I would  source at least the Hasegawa kit second hand. 

RD.

Unfortunately while passable, the Hasegawa nose is too slab-sided, lacking the proper horseshoe cross-section in favour of an inverted 'U; interpretation.

I don't have one to check against, but the recently issued Revell MkII is probably a better likeness, or the '60s vintage Mk I.

The latter has been reissued within the past few years as a Seafire Ib and can be found for buttons (I think I got 3 for £10 a few years ago).

Unfortunately while passable, the Hasegawa nose is too slab-sided, lacking the proper horseshoe cross-section in favour of an inverted 'U; interpretation.

I don't have one to check against, but the recently issued Revell MkII is probably a better likeness, or the '60s vintage Mk I.

The latter has been reissued within the past few years as a Seafire Ib and can be found for buttons (I think I got 3 for £10 a few years ago).

Thanks for pointing out the alternatives. Using the RoG Spitfire MK. II is likely the best way to go for a Vc conversion.