Ilyushin Il-2 Sturmovik, North Caucasus Front, Feb 1943

Wow - brilliant work! I missed this one entirely - I need to check back into this site more often. I have this very aeroplane done in 1/72 scale (the Academy kit, with the fuselage appropriately changed to the wooden one, as I see you did here, along with adding the flutter balances near the tip - good catch!). As you might guess from my avatar, the Il-2 is one of my all-time favourite aeroplanes and you did a splendid job on it. I built one in the summer camouflage a few years back (with a fully-detailed engine - ask me how much fun that was), but someday I'll no doubt do the ski-equipped version in the winter scheme.

Best Regards,

Jason

Jason- Thanks so much for checking in on my build.  As you may have noticed, I referenced your work a great deal and I very much appreciate the work that you have done to demystify this great aircraft.  

Kai

Outstanding Work Kai !!  :thumbsup:

I really like it when folks put their models next to the real life pictures. It looks Fantastic!!   :clap2:

Teresa  :D

Thanks Teresa!  I used so many pics for reference that I felt somewhat compelled to share them...  I think I will do the same with all my builds that I post here whenever possible.  y'know, make it a thang :)

Kai

Emperoakai....

This is wow in my eyes....that weathering is so nice and well done...

This is the best looking IL2 ive ever seen...

The build, the scratch builded deatils, the teqhniques...alt very high standars...

You get very high numbers feom me on this one, this is art...

Also a question, have you got any thoughts of doing a diorama for this one a nice base to stand on with wet muddy with snow on top that melted a bit ...

Thanks Mal!  This was my first post ever, and you were one of the first to follow along with it, which I appreciate alot.  

I used to do dioramas, but simply ran out of room, so haven't done one for quite a long time.  I did think about doing one for the Sturmovik though.  The main hang up at the time was finding a decent Russian pilot figure to go along with it (I like the pic with the pilot standing next to the propeller).  I see that Aero Bonus came out with one though, so I might revisit this in the future...

Kai

With all here. Great build. Love the weathering.

It have been mentioned earlier but what does the slogan say on the side of the aircraft?

Dave.

Hi Dave-

Thanks for the kind words!  The slogan translates to "Death to the Fascist Occupiers!"  

Kai

Kai..... what's the story behind those black and white old real photos...

curious to know. Thank you.

:thumbsup:

Hi Maru-

While researching for this project, I came across and ended up with 100's of images from the internet on the Sturmovik (and a stack of books as well).  With alot of guidance from the work that Jason Moore (Learstang) has done, I was able to understand them and put them all into perspective.  Some came with snippets of a story, unfortunately most others didn't.  I'll try to fill in what I can to the best of my recollection though.

IMG_0014_500_zpsfa4076d4.jpg

I don't have a specific back story on this one, but it is a fairly prolific photo.  This one was significant for me in that it detailed the winter camouflage, and quite a few other subtle details such as the gun camera port on the landing gear nacelle, the rocket launcher rails and in the background of what appears to be one of countless improvised fields that Sturmoviks flew from.

IMG_0010_zps6c06c306.jpg

This is also a fairly prolific photo and the only one I could find that is confirmed to be of Col Zoob (I believe he is on the right).  There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information out there on Zoob in English, however I did come across a Russian website that had good info.  Zoob was a popular leader that lead from the front and took care of his people.

IMG_0012_500_zps48a47036.jpg

This photo is part of a series that were taken during a presentation ceremony.  A number of Sturmoviks (single and 2 seaters) were presented to a unit, hence the stenciled slogan that appears on each of the aircraft.  

19_500_zps582d65f8.jpg

There were probably as many photos of Sturmoviks taken by the Germans as were taken by the Russians, and in this case, a captured Sturmovik is surrounded by curious German soldiers.  No doubt the caption provides more insight, though unfortunately I am not versed in Russian.  

As the single seater depicted in this project was relatively early in the war, the images here reflect that as well and all are most likely taken 1941- early 1943.

I've spent hours examining these and many others, and could provide some additional commentary should there be any particular interest. :)

Kai

PS: Oh, and of course, I don't own any of the images and are all used under fair use terms.....

Nicely done, great work,

If you need brief translation of latest photo, there is, shortly, an deflectors IL-2 , landed south of Harkov (Charkow) and surrended to Hungarian units , summer 1941.

Rear fuselage have mounted additional stringers outside the fuselage skin, as a field modification to improve fuselage strenght.

Red stars on fuselage are outlined with thin black line.

RGDS

Edited by AEROPOXY

• 2 months later...

Kai, glad to know I was of help to you on this project! I just popped in again on this site after a hiatus, and saw the kind words you have for my work on the Il-2. Thank you! I just wish there were more VVS (Red Air Force) subjects in large scale. There's a rumour that's been floating around for awhile that Tamiya may upscale their fine arrow to 1/32nd scale, but it's just a very unsubstantiated rumour. The Hobby Boss kit has its limitations (metal rear fuselage, for one), as I'm sure you well know, but you can definitely get a beautiful Il-2 out of it, as you have shown, and it is accurate in the dimensions and general shape. Still, a 1/32nd Tamiya Il-2 would definitely get my money! Za Rodinu!

Best Regards,

Jason

• 7 months later...

Project summary (much belated)

Project%20Summary%20-%20Il-2%20Sturmovik

Hobby Boss Il-2 Sturmovik:

• good kit overall
  • part edges are thick
  • missing panel lines at wing root
  • rear fuselage has rivets (should be plywood)
  • shell ejection ports need to be drilled out under wing
  • missing aileron mass balances
  • poor fit at landing gear fairings on wings
  • rubber tires
  • armaments need work
Montex mask: masks slightly oversized for panes, slogan not tall enough, fin "2" too tall
Eduard interior details: 85% used, good set
Eduard exterior set: 75% used, works for early Il-2; missing trim tab linkages for ailerons
Eduard flap set: Alot of work, but looks awesome
Eduard armament set: used 30%, has only enough RS-82 rocket fins for 4 rockets (had to use second set for difference)
Quickboost exhausts: Look good but missing weld seams

Thanks

Kai

Nice project summary! Again, brilliant build of the Shturmovik, Kai! I see that you used some of the primer colours - ALG-1 (Yellow Green), and ALG-5 (Italian Olive Green and SAC Bomber Green). I have to admit that I'm lazy and usually just paint everything medium grey (A-14 Steel Grey) that isn't finished in a camouflage colour. One of these days, though, I'll use all the different primers (or even bare metal) on one Il-2 model.

Best Regards,

Jason

You're very welcome, Kai! Not a bad idea on the primers. Although the Soviets' exterior camouflage was (almost) always painted using the same colours (remember that all the aircraft and paints came from the same big concern - the USSR Inc.), Il-2 wrecks show that there was some variability on the interior colours (I'm including the flaps here also). Sometimes, for example with the interior of the flaps and the landing gear doors, the underside blue colour (AMT-7 Blue) was even used. I hope you do another Shturmovik (remember that 'h' there)!

Best Regards,

Jason