Jim Barry

Prop #2 went really well. I hit this iteration with better wood (Basswood over balsa). Better sanding (Dremel drum over hand sand). And a better template to begin with. Sort of an Ecsheresque thing. I had to stop at times just to clear my head where I was on the thing. Drum Sanding is great for speed but you can mess things up in a hurry, too! 

728534_zpsclyzqn6m.jpg

728533_zpsnbb1uprg.jpg

Martin, Thanks. I'm back to it!

Broke the project into sub projects on an excel spreadsheet  to see where I am. I made 27 tasks, for instance "instrument panel" or "misc detailing".

I've been logging my work in these tasks and have my project at 53 hours in the last 3 weeks. That's a very high rate of work for me but this is really fun and I find nearly all my free time down on the bench. The project estimate task by task adds up to 233 hours. So I'm about a quarter of the way there. I'll certainly slow down (I gotta think) so this would look like I'll be done by summer. That feels right having said to myself when starting out that I wanted this LSP to take about as much time as my 5 little scratch builds.

The fuselage is coming along and I've now sanded the nose to shape. The fog is clearing. I see the face of the Fury!

Edited by Jim Barry

I've been logging my work in these tasks and have my project at 53 hours in the last 3 weeks. That's a very high rate of work for me but this is really fun and I find nearly all my free time down on the bench. The project estimate task by task adds up to 233 hours. So I'm about a quarter of the way there. I'll certainly slow down (I gotta think) so this would look like I'll be done by summer. That feels right having said to myself when starting out that I wanted this LSP to take about as much time as my 5 little scratch builds.

Just to let you know it took me aprox 1 year to complete the front end of my B17G Jim!....don't want to put you off or anything! ;) ....normal for this sort of work!

Yes. This is the word and it's clear by the date stamps on the WIP pages that this is normal. I accept it and embrace it. Just not sure my first effort at this scale  is going to  have the heavy investment a project backed with experience would entail.  Let's see though. I'm quite open minded.

Yes. This is the word and it's clear by the date stamps on the WIP pages that this is normal. I accept it and embrace it. Just not sure my first effort at this scale  is going to  have the heavy investment a project backed with experience would entail.  Let's see though. I'm quite open minded.

I start a project and post here on WIP ....and to be honest Jim ...I wonder if I can actually do some of the stages....I think that's part of the fun of scratch building...keep plodding on...never give up!...you will be surprised at what you can do! .....and I'm sure you know this!

Yes! My analogy is climbing a mountain. Impossible at a glance, but rather doable ...one well planned step at time.

I have that "wonder if I can do this" moment  this morning about the ring gun sight. It's that little ring in the middle. Damn!

Yes! My analogy is climbing a mountain. Impossible at a glance, but rather doable ...one well planned step at time.

I have that "wonder if I can do this" moment  this morning about the ring gun sight. It's that little ring in the middle. Damn!

Ha ha!.....you mean this one?..........

overalldetail003_zps1oyj40sy.jpg

If this is what your talking about then I hope you have a lot of patients!....took me a while but managed to super glue tiny pieces of wire together to get the ring sight shape......ah...the joys of scratch building! :wacko:

Barney, Good idea! Thanks for sharing it.

I made a pass at the gun sight last night with a strip of styrene I wrapped around a brush handle and then built the inside parts with wire. It's just passing.

Things I'll do in iteration #2

• Should have cut wires a little shorter.
  • Hard to make a perfect enough circle with strip so I'll just use a tube of styrene and cut a sliver. 
  • Less super glue. 
  • A little more quality control on the inner circle.

I was a little frustrated last night and wondered if I could find something in the kits to steal from and did find a 1/48 Bf109 cockpit wheel thing to be very close. Certainly a lot easier and a clever idea, but doubt I'll give in so easily. I do like the look of scratch even when it has some small imperfections. 

IMG_6933_zps9jqdbd9j.jpg

Edited by Jim Barry