21st Century Folgore

LSP_Kevin

Kevin,

Looking good my friend.What camouflage scheme are you planning to use? If it's not too late you might wnt to change the seatbelt arrangement.

Thanks Gregory. To be honest I nearly didn't put seat belts in at all. I just want to bang this one together as near to OOB as I can, and quick! Thanks for the heads up on the seat belts though. If I ever build the PCM kit, I'll be putting much more effort into it. I decided that it was only the landing gear and wheels I couldn't live with!

As for the camo scheme, at this stage I'm considering the smoke ring job, but may chicken out come paint time.

Kev

Thanks fellas. This build is never going to live up to Greg's magnificent Macchis, but it's not really meant to. So, in the spirit of getting it done, here's the latest update. Firstly, the firewall extension is done:

post-3071-1252582702.jpg

Except for the gun sight, that's the cockpit more-or-less finished. I've since been working on the landing gear, and modified the forks to something closer to reality:

post-3071-1252582716.jpg

And yes, I did manage to get the two of them different! :) One day I'll actually learn to measure stuff, and use things like plans and drawings, before getting out the sharp things...

The next task is to reduce the size of the holes in the middle of the wheels, so that I can use brass pins as axles. Here's a progress shot:

post-3071-1252582731.jpg

I'm using plastic tube for this, with an ID able to take the brass tube for an axle, and an OD that will neatly fill the existing hole. In truth, the tube's OD is slightly too large, so I've had to sand it down a bit and hope that it stays mostly round. The landing gear on this kit has to be assembled and inserted before assembling and attaching the wings, which presents a bit of a painting conundrum. Still mulling that one over.

Thanks for looking!

Kev

Kevin,

Your more than kind words on my Macchi Projects are much appreciated.Glad you're going to give the smoke rings a go,but if that doesn't work out for you try Camouflage scheme C2B or D2 for you Macchi (see the camo chart at Stormo).I'll most likely use C2B for my vac Macchi soon I hope.

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

GOTTA LOVE THOSE MACCHI'S

Thanks fellas. Haven't had much bench time of late, but I managed to get the new wheels and axles sorted out:

post-3071-1252750428.jpg

Once I get some brake lines in place I can start painting them up. Looks like I'll need to fit them before assembling the wings, so I guess I'll have to paint, install and then mask them.

Kev

The wheels look much better than the kit, Kev. I think I'll scrounge up a pair for my 205, perhaps the Revell Corsair wheels are the right size since I have Lonestar's replacements. I might try cutting out and swapping hubs if references prove the kit hubs accurate.

Thanks guys. Here's a shot of the final product:

post-3071-1252921970.jpg

I decided against added brake lines, as when I checked my references, it turns out that I would have had to re-engineer the main gear covers (and probably the legs themselves) in order to depict them in even a remotely accurate way. So, given that I'm in AMS avoidance mode with this one, I ploughed on without them. As it is, there's a ruddy great alignment pin poking out of the compression piston! :angry:

A few more progress shots:

post-3071-1252921991.jpg

post-3071-1252922041.jpg

post-3071-1252922027.jpg

More soon!

Kev

I must say that the plastic on these kits looks awful! No problems working with it?

Well, I wouldn't say problems per se, but it's definitely weird stuff. I've heard some say that it's ABS (it's definitely not straight polystyrene), but it has a strange, slightly rubbery feel to it that reminds me of the old polythene figure sets from Airfix. It can be glued with a hot liquid cement, but you need to use a lot and leave it a long time. I'm using Tamiya Extra Thin, and I have to say it's only marginally effective. I'm resorting to CA for most of the components now. The plastic itself is also highly translucent. It'll be interesting to see how it takes to sanding when the time comes!

I'd be interesting in hearing from anyone who has one of the later kits, where they purportedly did away with the screw lugs and plugs. I'm wondering if the plastic changed too?

Kev

Thanks Kev!

I've looked at my Macchi C.205 and the plastic looks like a normal grey plastic!
Don't know if it works that way though! smile.gif
This one still have screws and plugs (in grey plastic)!
I think I'll try one of the kits soon!

Cheers,

Håkan