F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

So this is how you become broke ?, just kidding she looks fantastic Brian, no nonsense and very functional.  I like the armour and your little green toolbox :)

Cheers

M.

Thanks my friend!  Its actually a recycled .50 cal ammo box that I welded together and then bolted a custom quick release mount to my spare tire carrier that I carry 50ft tow strap, D rings, gloves, emergency flares, tie straps, emergency blanket small universal Swiss army style tool and some other trinkets.   The same spare tire carrier also carries (along with the obvious spare tire)  x2 2 gal packs of gas, a high lift jack, shovel and axe combo (other side, you can just see the shovel head and axe handle sticking up

20170506_193119-XL.jpg

Pretty sick fabrications, I am officially envious :) , could you please post some picture from your trip, it would be nice to see this beauty in action . :punk:

Have a safe trip Brian.

M.

Thanks Martin!

To give you an idea, here is a short min or so quick vid my brother took of us going up a small obstacle from last years 2017 Easter Jeep Safari 51 (click on the picture and it should take you to the vid):

Finns%20%26%20Things-X2.jpg

We will be hitting similar stuff this year, but different trails. Ill definitely be taking pics and vid, as I will have a brand new Nikon D3400 with my this year! 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

HI Brian

Just finished catching up on the Tigercat. Amazing, simply amazing how you tamed the Tigercat. I only wish I had a tenth of your abilities and patience to tackle the Big Cat but I know I don't.

Gorgeous work, simply gorgeous.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn:

Peter

Haha thanks gents!  Yes, the F7F is NOT forgotten by any means, Im just having to focus on the Jeep to get it ready for the Safari event....................

Just don't scratch the Jeep!

Too late!  Its got many little scratches and one dent (caused by me being stupid in the garage!) so its already far from in perfect shape.  You should see the underside! The skid plates have done their job from many MANY miles of hard core 4-wheeling.

To the F7F............

I have been looking all over hell and back to find clear toothbrushes to make the clear wing  tip lights from, and have struck out completely. I was about to start a search on line for some, but have since found an even better solution. Depending on what I get upon final measurements of the thickness/profile of the wingtip after modification, it will either be this:

https://plastruct.com/shop/strip-and-rod/92063-asr-8/

or this:

https://plastruct.com/shop/strip-and-rod/92064-asr-12/

Im not fully sure Ill need 3/8" yet, but Im hoping that 1/4" is enough, but wont know for sure until I get the full measurements after I modify the wingtips to get rid of the funky flat area the HpH has put in for some unknown reason. 

My plan at this point is to dig out my CM vac F7F and probably take the measurements and maybe even the impression of the wingtips from there so that each side is even and symmetrical. Im hoping I can take a casting off of the CM wingtips as they look much more like the 1:1 than the HpH tips do.

Cheers,

Check out TAP plastics. If you have a store nearby, they may have a "junk pile" or odds and ends of acrylic they ended up with when making boxes, signs or whatever for someone else. Usually very inexpensive... maybe even free samples?

Great to see what you have done to "scratchbuild" this kit. It is a beautiful plane and you have done amazing things to correct the model.

Tnarg

Just looked at your jeep photos... are you in the LRDG? OK, not bristling with ordinance, but most of the survival stuff is there. I always liked the photos of that group, but didn't really want to get stuck in the sand like they appeared to have done, nor have Rommel's guys after me.

Have fun in Utah. I grew up there and love the colors, just don't love the snow.

Tnarg

• 1 month later...

Thanks gents! Sorry about no update on this one yet, but my initial intention with this was to actually try to finish something (my other ongoing SOD build of the lcaerodesign Extra 330 SC)  then return to the F7F refreshed. That plan didn't exactly work out like I had intended.................I put a big ol dent in the Extra 330s cowl right in the top near center that was already only a few microns thick, and filling that dent has proven to be hairpullingly hard.     AAMOF, If this next round of filling and priming doesnt work, I may end up putting the little Extra on the SOD indefinitely.

Now back to the T-Cat...............

Many thanks for the offer on the clear rod Pharty! Had it been a month or so ago, I may have actually taken you up on that. However, I actually found that Plastruct makes not only round clear rod, but they also make square clear acrylic rod:

https://plastruct.com/product-category/strip-and-rod/acrylic-rod/page/2/

I actually have some of the clear square stuff on order, and once that is hear I will have to do a mid build bench clean to even see where I left off on the T-Cat.    :lol:       I also have to put some thought into how I want to re-do the F7F wing tips with HpHs strange angled front section to the tip.

Not to fear, this build WILL go on, and will not be put on the SOD.   However knowing the nature of very large and very complex resin builds, a good break like the one Im on now are needed for sure.