Dieselpunk BF 109

spacewolf

So cool to see this shape up Vaughan. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Troy

Thanks Troy. It is a privilege to be able to be a part of this forum with such amazing and talented men and women.

Ok.. update time !!  :frantic:  Work, life and a bit of a headcold have conspired to slow me down but I'm still scratchin' away. That's why we are called scratch builders ya know ?... scratchin' away at plastic till we get what we want... at least. we hope !!  :whistle: 

With the mid section sorted out it was time to think about a cockpit.... no clue as to layout or anything.. first thing was to grab an old Revell pilot from the parts box and see how he looks..

wGUUSkJ.jpg

ya, think this is gonna work !

3LIjEoT.jpg

I was finishing up the intake tubes so with the fuse sides nice and strong I was no longer concerned about the fuselage breaking.

For4WU2.jpg

Good old dremel tool and a cutting disc made short, if messy work of the opening.

UZzv0K7.jpg

Of course, now I had to build a new floor ! Two bits of sheet and a couple of angled stringers. As you can see if you look close I fudged it and had to add a strip to get it right.

pmp1j65.jpg

TvwhT2w.jpg

With the floor made I cast about for a seat... angled supports, seat pan and edging from scrap bit in the parts box. Seat back from thin sheet edged with stretched sprue... think it came out pretty good.

eTpJnDY.jpg

It was mentioned how clean my work was so I thought I'd comment on that for a second. I like to use scrap, strip and melted plastic to fill as I build. It takes a bit longer but often I can move to something else while a part or area dries. Case in point, the damage from the cutting tool...looks pretty ratty and would be a mess to putty..not to mention getting parts to fit would be a problem.

wQGkwOF.jpg

With a bit of strip and glue/ plastic the edges can be rebuilt and sanded to a nice square edge allowing for much more accurate fitting and less problems with finish work.

Kaysx7K.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

I had wanted from the start to have a wood instrument panel for the ship.. thinking old cars and boats style. I got a sheet of 1/16 mahogany at the model shop, I cut out a bit of 1/16 plastic to fit and superglued the mahogany to it. Two coats of gloss clear acrylic were painted on and sanded smooth. The Instrument decals were from an old Hasagawa 109 E. They laid down well and were coated with future. Once that was dry I brushed on a coat of acrylic semi gloss to cut down the sheen a bit. A bit of stretched sprue with a drop of super glue on the end made the added detail. It came out looking almost as good as I'd hoped.

JRPdUbe.jpg

U5m6cse.jpg

Side walls are being built, lots of teeny, tiny bits...

zH3wmjg.jpg

yYr7aXQ.jpg

So that's where we are at the moment. It may be a bit before I'm back with a new update as I'm off on a short trip for two weeks but I'll do mu best to keep bring you new installments.

Thanks for all the comments, they really help the build !!

TTFN

• 2 weeks later...

Simply awesome seeing these installments Vaughn. The seat,sidewalls and instrument panel all look fantastic. Just love how this is shaping up. One of a kind and superb efforts,

Troy

Thanks Troy ! I'm loving how it's coming out being I have no plan at all other than just trying to make it look like a lat 30's/  WW II cockpit.