OK, I'll take the plunge (gulp)....a good excuse to start my CM Avro Anson vacuform. The chances of finding out which Anson(s) Brown flew are slim to zero so mine will probably be one of the ones that my father flew on a regular basis. I've built a couple of the Classic Airframes 1/48th Ansons and I also have an unbuilt one so I can use that as a reference and to scale up areas to our scale. It's a good job there's a long time frame on this GB!

Max

Edited by mozart

Looking forward to this Max!

I've never built a vac kit so I'll be watching for tips and tricks.

Carl

I'm still very much on a learning curve with vacuforms Carl so tips and tricks might be rare.....**** ups and how to correct them might be more common!

Max

I hope so Radders, re-creating the undercart will be a challenge from scratch, or I might just chicken out and do a wheels up flying Anson! I'm especially looking forward to doing the interior using Albion Alloys Connect-o system......that's the theory anyway!! :)

Max

I haven't cut plastic yet, but I have been doing an equally important aspect of all my builds and that is research, particularly important in this build since the "shell" of the aircraft is pretty basic, not even a delineation of aileron position or size etc.  I absolutely love this shot of the NZ Anson, great photography and so  much detail!  Not many people appreciate the rigging wires on the tailplane for example:

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-06%20at%2013.10.

Resin bits provided, the undercarriage will need a major "head-scratching" exercise to find the best way of building it:

DSCN8209_zpsbsklarez.jpg

DSCN8208_zpsik8wa399.jpg

The plans and wings, plus a 1/48th Anson for comparison:

DSCN8206_zpsebblhuxm.jpg

My Dad did this watercolour sketch of one that he flew in Rhodesia, mine will be finished like this:

DSCN8210_zpsfjwsgyvt.jpg

Max
Edited by mozart

Looks nice! Nice sketch! :)

HÃ¥kan

Lovely watercolour sketch Max.

It's nice to hear about the personal connection on this build for you.

Carl

I can remember Dad writing in his diary that he was quite pleased with his painting, looks like an Anson to me and as a colour reference it's invaluable. His brother, my uncle Harry (94 today) sent the watercolour paints and paper out to Rhodesia for him!

Braver man than I, but I must admit I did enjoy building an Airfix Anson when I was knee high to a grasshopper and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes, I did one too Dennis, it was a Series 2 kit if I remember correctly and cost half a crown?

Max

Nothing done yet but I went to Frome yesterday to pick up my Albion Alloys tubing and Connect+o bits for the internal cabin structure plus essential items from Halfords like P38 filler, Halfords filler primer and various grades of sandpaper. I've also got some plans coming today or tomorrow but I need to do some drawings to scale up the CA bits I'm using as a guide.

Edited by mozart

Gathering essential bits ready to make a start fairly soon I hope, plus some decent drawings that I can work with:

DSCN9962_zpskpdzobo8.jpg

DSCN9961_zpshxu0fzke.jpg

DSCN9960_zpscpwtlxoa.jpg

He got so hacked off with flying them that Dad didn't waste much of his precious film on Ansons.  The original of this is about 6cm X 4cm and tinged brown.  I scanned and enlarged it some years ago, I'm intrigued by the possible colour scheme of Anson LA - quite possibly yellow fabric sections and silver metal nose?  Any thoughts chaps?

anson%20resized_zpsu2jpdnrz.jpg

Max
Edited by mozart