Out2gtcha

• 1 month later...

Nicey!, Brian You are the model making machine ! The casting looks pretty crisp and well detailed. Good luck with this little hot-rod.
Cheers
Martin
from

Right up your alley Marim!!!! Harv

• 1 month later...

Ok, its been more than two months since Ive even SAT at the bench, let alone put something together model wise. The consummate different areas of work, and all around effort it was taking on the Me-163 dio in combination with putting parts on the ride for a Jeep related vacation next April, I just kinda inadvertently lost my modeling mojo. 

With phase 1 of two on the Jeep completed (phase two not starting till Spring) and the weather hinting at turning colder, Im slowly getting the urge back. The dio work is still a bit much for me at the moment, as there are a lot of figures and Im not in the mode atm.

Soooooooooooooo, since I had this gem on the small part of the bench anyway, I thought Id get back to this one. I have not packed up the Me-163 dio yet, but IF............big IF a certain kitty appears in a couple months, I may just go ahead and clear the big part of the bench for it! Hopefully id have at least gotten close to finishing this one up.

After a thorough full bench cleaning, I found this, and will see if I can start by at either finishing this up, or getting the smoothing of the internal fuselage framing out of the way

DSC05226.jpg

The engine mount will need some more fine brass work, and some caster feat, but I think I will need some more material first. Lets see how much progress I can actually make!

Well, with a couple swipes of the sanding stick, and a coupe nips of the sprue nippers and and few passes with a razor saw, and I actually got some decent dry fitting in. I took more of the "steppieness" out of the 3D printed frame, took the flash out of the IP, and cut the seat off of its pour block.

The instructions call for cutting the frame to fit/interlock with a small groove in the resin fuse halves, otherwise the frame will never fit. I took the 1-2mm off of the frame right ahead of where the IP is supposed to mount, and as soon as I did, the whole internal frame fit in there and was held in place, right as rain:

2016-11-01%2020.28.53.jpg

2016-11-01%2020.28.58.jpg

2016-11-01%2020.29.06.jpg

Once I did that, the fuselage halves fit together over the 3D printed frame really nicely:

2016-11-01%2020.24.59.jpg

I then slid the IP in for a test fit, and it aligns perfectly as well with no issues. It will however have to be added before the fuse is closed:

2016-11-01%2020.25.20.jpg

With the seat off its pour block, I dry fit that too. It fit like all the rest, perfetly:

2016-11-01%2021.08.08.jpg

2016-11-01%2021.08.25.jpg

2016-11-01%2021.08.32.jpg

Here's and interesting size comparison VS a 1/32nd Zero. The Extra 300SC is just a tiny thing:

2016-11-01%2021.16.02.jpg

Back to work tomorrow after a long weekend, but now that I have the workshop clean and have made a wee start, Im hoping getting back this NEXT time wont nearly be as hard.

Cheers, 

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Great to see you are back at the bench the old boilers are under way with the juices starting to flow. Nice work on the dry fitting stage and the interior now fits perfectly.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks guys! Always nice to pick something up again after a long absence.    

Peter,

Ive been eyeing the larger side of my bench with the Me-163 dio on it, and am STILL trying not to picture a big ol twin kitty on it!  Im hopefully trying to knock this one out, and with proper timing, might be finishing up and ready to clear the larger side for an F7F