1/48 Tamiya Ki-61 Id Hien

Thunnus

Thanks for the step by step processes. I need to start incorporating some of this kind of weathering on my aircraft builds. Fantastic workmanship and progress John.

You're welcome!  Just passing along techniques that I've learned here and elsewhere. 

John

Aces on the weathering, just exquisite: realistic and beautifully done.

Keep 'em comin

Peter 

Thanks Peter!  This was a testbed for using sponges for paint chipping.  I was previously using the hairspray method and colored pencils.  Both of those techniques have pluses and minuses and fall on opposite sides of the spectrum as far as the degree of effect they achieve (hairspray being good for large areas of chipping while pencils excel at the really small areas).  The sponge technique bridges the gap between those two methods quite nicely.  I'm still struggling to achieve realistic chipping on my models and this build has shown that I still have lots to learn.

Beautiful build! I like the paint fading technique a lot...Well explained and photographed!

Thanks!

Alain

Thank you!  Yes, I like the salt technique alot.  I don't use it for chipping but to create random fade wear.  In my eyes, it seems to approximate the calcium deposits left by water drying, which I think any large outdoor object would be prone to.

Really, really nice build!!! Really like the weathering effect you achieved using the salt technique!!!

Subtlety is the key with this technique.  If you use too heavy a hand, you might get results like this...

IMG_1896.jpg

I'm just about done with the Hien.  I almost forgot about these last two parts until I saw them on the sprue. Small rudder actuators.  They were painted and stuck onto the tail.

IMG_2313.jpg

All of the parts have been attached to the model including the sliding canopy and the prop.  I sorta wish that I had posed the canopy shut as I really like the shape of the Hien.  The final step was to attach the triple aerial.  This time I used Uschi's Fine rigging thread.  This elastic stuff is MUCH easier to deal with than stretched sprue.  Little blobs on the aerial are white glue painted black.

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

She's done!  I'll get proper photos of her this weekend with my good camera and some daylight.

Edited by Thunnus

Well done!  Very well done!  I even like the choice of olive green you used.  I was a little skeptical when you first mentioned it but the end result is great.  If a -1Tei is ever released in 1/32 I'm doing Chuichi Ichikawa's aircraft (I tried the Wolfpack -1Tei conversion and wasn't impressed).  You know, the one everyone thinks has a cloverleaf on the fuselage sides?  It's not a cloverleaf but it does describe the aircraft specifically.  It was described by a photographer who actually saw the aircraft as a "chocolate bar brown" color.  In my opinion, the color you used on this aircraft could very well be misinterpreted as that color, especially if the paint was faded or worn.

674RDlf.jpg

Above is the only photo of this aircraft known to exist.

Sorry for going off topic...  The color of your model so much reminded me of this one.

Edited by Juggernut

Absolutely gorgeous work. As an aside, this kicked open the memory drawers in the dusty corridors of the mind. The very first model I ever had was a Kawasaki Ki-61, the old Revell 1/72nd job. My dad built it and we painted it with the old Testors bottle paints. I think that would have been in 1965.

Edited by Sabre F-86

Thanks John

Good to know it's more of habit then Papa Tamiya.

Peter

I have a friend who rescribes every Hasegawa kit he builds, just out of habit. It likes to give their panel lines more depth. He lightly sands after every build and you'd never know he did this.

John,

That's a fine job!  Very impressive.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz!  On to the next one!

Well done!  Very well done!  I even like the choice of olive green you used.  I was a little skeptical when you first mentioned it but the end result is great.  If a -1Tei is ever released in 1/32 I'm doing Chuichi Ichikawa's aircraft (I tried the Wolfpack -1Tei conversion and wasn't impressed).  You know, the one everyone thinks has a cloverleaf on the fuselage sides?  It's not a cloverleaf but it does describe the aircraft specifically.  It was described by a photographer who actually saw the aircraft as a "chocolate bar brown" color.  In my opinion, the color you used on this aircraft could very well be misinterpreted as that color, especially if the paint was faded or worn.

674RDlf.jpg

Above is the only photo of this aircraft known to exist.

Sorry for going off topic...  The color of your model so much reminded me of this one.

Thank you for commenting!  That cloverleaf Hien never looked "right" to me but I've never seen what an alternative interpretation looked like.  Hopefully, you'll get to model it someday.

Beautiful result, John!

Kev

Thanks Kevin!

Absolutely gorgeous work. As an aside, this kicked open the memory drawers in the dusty corridors of the mind. The very first model I ever had was a Kawasaki Ki-61, the old Revell 1/72nd job. My dad built it and we painted it with the old Testors bottle paints. I think that would have been in 1965.

Wow, that's a long way back. I also have very fond memories of plastic models when I was a kid.  It seemed liked all of the department and drug stores had a model section with rack of Testors paints and a rack of Pactra paints.

Stunning... again.

I really like your photos, could you tell me how you achieve them? What set up/lighting do you use?

Matt

Thank you!  I have a good camera but I'm pretty minimalist when it comes to set-ups.  The Hien was shot with a Canon 5D Mark IV and a 24-105 f/4 lens.  All ambient outdoor lighting... no external lights or flash.  My "studio" is the courtyard in front of my house... a sheet of white poster paper (now pretty dirty) layed over an old wooden bench.  Photos shot in RAW and processed in Lightroom.

I have a friend who rescribes every Hasegawa kit he builds, just out of habit. It likes to give their panel lines more depth. He lightly sands after every build and you'd never know he did this.

I like making the panel lines more uniform too.  Some moldings aren't as crisp as the Tamiya Hien and really benefit from having some rescribing.

Absolutely fabulous build, I'm involved with a Tamiya Hien group build this year. I will be using your thread as my build guide.

One note that isn't mentioned in your thread, you don't need to install the engine in the build, Tamiya has included an optional part on the sprues to install to mount the prop. But they don't mention it in the instructions.

If anyone wanted to save the engine for another use this is good to know.

John,

TERRIFIC job and thanks especially for sharing your techniques with us - fantastic work.. That is one very interesting subject that you did a masterful job with.  Will be bookmarking this thread just for the skills technique.

Thanks and what is your next build going to be?   :popcorn:  :m0152:

Chris