Bush Avenger

Dukie99

Yep, love this plane! I have one in the stash to do as an RNZAF Target tug.

Brian from Resin 2 Detail is upscaling his R2600 for us to use in the Avenger! Here is a link to his site.

He posted on the Vendors forum, and agreed to print the 2600 in 32nd!

http://resin2detail.com/?product=132-fast-fix-pilot-and-co-pilot-seat-double-pack-for-hk-kit

Yep, love this plane! I have one in the stash to do as an RNZAF Target tug.

Brian from Resin 2 Detail is upscaling his R2600 for us to use in the Avenger! Here is a link to his site.

He posted on the Vendors forum, and agreed to print the 2600 in 32nd!

http://resin2detail.com/?product=132-fast-fix-pilot-and-co-pilot-seat-double-pack-for-hk-kit

Thank you Anthony for the reference. Too late for this build, but I will keep an eye for the R2600 in 1/32 when it comes out.

Guest Clunkmeister

Hey David,

I'm curious because I've never looked closely at mine, but with this kit, does the Avionix cockpit really add that much?  I honestly don't know, but I've heard that the kit pit is pretty decent on this kit.

and, just so you know, martin is quickly becoming THE reference guru on LSP.  I'm not ashamed to say I've come to rely on him, and his research and reference pictures have pulled my backside out of the fire and kept me from making a goofy mistake on several different occasions.  He da man!

Hi David,

I'm a big fan of the Avenger, and i think this is a very cool project. Haven't bought the Trumpeter kit yet but seriously considered it.

Looking at those close ups of ol' George sitting in the cockpit, i think i now understand why Trumpeter chose to go with recessed rivets.

For what its worth, i've seen three of these finished and they really dominate a contest table when built up with the wings spread. About the only negative thing i ever hear about the kit is, the parts count is so high. Definitely an example of Trumpeter firing on all cylinders.

I'd love to dive into one, once i get my F4U-2 project finished.

Watching with close interest,

david

Hi David,

I had the same thought as you regarding the recessed rivets, Trumpeter actually molded positive rivets on few parts of the fuselage, here

Fuse_zpsc9ndt5kq.jpg which

and here:

fuse2_zpsgs7qzfeu.jpga

These actually matches some of my reference pics, so that was well done by Trumpeter. On the other hand, all rivets on the wings are recessed where there are a lot of positive rivets. That being said, I will not change that part of the kit and will not go the route of adding HGW rivets decals, I like to keep my sanity and as you mentioned there are already a lot of parts to this kit. Instructions have 59 steps and there are some many internal details that you can only close the fuselage when you reach step 31.

David

You are most welcome David, I am glad that you are ready and loaded with references .  I posted the pictures and short statement in order to avoid misunderstanding that Trumpeter created by declaring Dash-3 with Bush machine . I hope you don't mind.

I am very excited about your build, good luck I will stick around.

Cheers

Martin

PS: those Signifier wheels are diamond pattern or the  block ones ?

Hey Martin,

I was very glad you posted your pictures and explanation. I was not aware that the TBM-3 included decals for President Bush aircraft. I had purchased the TBF1-C a few years ago after doing some preliminary researches where I concluded that when President Bush was shot down he was flying a TBF1-C. I have no idea if President Bush ever flew a TBM-3 later in the war. One of the pictures you provided shows "Barbara III" painted on aircraft (his then girlfriend and future first lady). Do you know if this picture was taken prior to President Bush being shot down or after. The profile I included in my first post shows only "Barbara" painted in white, where I think the decal in the TBM3 is "Barbara III" in yellow like in your picture, which would indicate that it is his third plane bearing that name. Besides being shot down over Chichi Jima, President Bush also had to ditch his airplane once, so I am thinking that the "Barbara III" would have appeared after that ditching and being shot down over Chichi Jima. President Bush flew combat for just 5 months prior to being shot down over Chichi Jima, so I would be surprised if he was already on his third aircraft when he was shot down. I have not found any full picture of the profile I posted in my first post. It would be awesome if you could help with that riddle, "Barbara III" in yellow (in which case I could be able to use Trumpeter decal) or "Barbara" in white (in which case I will have to try to print my own decal)?

To answer your question on the Signifier wheel, this is the block pattern. I have pictures of TBM-3 and TBF1-C with diamond pattern, but no pictures of TBF-1C with the block pattern, not sure if the block pattern is correct for President Bush aircraft. Thanks for your help.

David

Hey David,

I'm curious because I've never looked closely at mine, but with this kit, does the Avionix cockpit really add that much?  I honestly don't know, but I've heard that the kit pit is pretty decent on this kit.

and, just so you know, martin is quickly becoming THE reference guru on LSP.  I'm not ashamed to say I've come to rely on him, and his research and reference pictures have pulled my backside out of the fire and kept me from making a goofy mistake on several different occasions.  He da man!

Hey Ernie,

The Avionix cockpit is in my view a worthy improvement on the kit's cockpit, which is not bad in the first place with all major components being represented. The Avionix cockpit provides moulded wires, positive rivets and molded on seatbelts, so you could argue that with some solder wire, rivet decals and some RB or HGW seatbelts you could achieve pretty much the same results. I have to say the side consoles are very nicely molded and I would have been hard pressed to achieve that level of details on my own. Here are some pictures of where I stand on the cockpit. This is still a work in progress, I hope you will like it:

Cockpit1_zpsclosgqqc.jpg

Cockpit2_zps9kxs2fyj.jpg

Cockpit3_zpsk5qjmywg.jpg

Cockpit4_zpsy3ajtykb.jpg

This last one is Eduard Photoetch over the kit part.

More avionix pit pictures:

sidewall1_zpsuwguuhwd.jpg

electronic_zpsgmfg45cs.jpg

cockpit5_zpsnjx5y1zh.jpg

David

Hello David ,

I have to check my references, but just out of the bet, Bush flew Barbara II when he was shot down over Chichijima , the ( X3 stands for Torpedo Squadron 51).  There was also name "Ginny" write under the turret a name of of gunners GF. Well I just woke up, so give me some time to sniff around and get some more info.

Cheers

M.