Revel P-51D Lou IV: Blue and Green

CANicoll

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Teriffic progress on your ‘Stang and some very impressive work! Very much appreviated the review and photos of the three flaps, as the resin set looks to be the clear winner in detail and shape. Nice work on the drop tanks and just love your custom part holder! After building four Tamiya Mustangs and two with invasion stripes, I know the work involved in doing the fuselage stripes. My last build was an -5 version without the fillet and the invasion stripes boardered the strars and bars with a space in between: what a job for sure.

Looking real good

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

All good info for starting my Revell build. Im still awaiting Tamiya sending me my two replacement windscreens, but that's about it. The DD stripe thickness info will certainly come in handy as my bird will be an early -5 w/invasion stripes as well. 

Mostly survived the masking for the invasion stripes, just a little overspray to deal with.

RlIt8R.jpg

7iZmRN.jpg

TQ0ZQy.jpg

All in all, better than I expected.  Lots of light coats of Vallejo black, finally filling in with heavier coats, probably helped to minimize the paint seepage (just a little) and over spray.

The yellow nose, after several coats, I decided to put down and let dry before going at it again with another few coats.

aLb5G5.jpg

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Ok, put down another couple coats of yellow and think I have the various shadows put to rest.  NOT as smooth as I would like but will do some light wet sanding after this completely dries - Tamiya X-8 Lemon Yellow.  Had a bit of over spray on the fuselage that I touched up with some Vallejo Aluminum Metal Color.

2bVpXY.jpg

dcftSi.jpg

AblCOr.jpg

Next step is to attach the front windscreen to test fit, mask and paint that and the Tamiya canopy that have been dipped in Future and drying for quite a while.  Also separate the landing gear doors into their various pieces and get to work on the landing gear.  Eduard resin wheels and tires have arrived, but for my Tamiya Mustang.  Tempted to repurpose them for the Revell build (but will see if there are Revell-specific resin wheels available - there probably are I just need to go look.

While this dried I worked on my Bradley in WWII German camo, here.

Sadly, looks like I will be using the Eduard resin exhausts with the kit shrouds.  I have a thought as to how to apply them since the fuselage is closed up and the exhaust backings are already installed.  We will see if it works or what I end up doing...

Chris

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Nice work on the nose - yellow looks perfect.

Why so sad in using the Eduard exhausts?

keep 'em comin

Peter

Chris

Nice work on the nose - yellow looks perfect.

Why so sad in using the Eduard exhausts?

keep 'em comin

Peter

Peter,

Thanks!!  Kept checking the photos and the light for the nose and the yellow.  Will use the black blank carb panels as well - the black is hard to see if they are opened or not, but every other aircraft in the pictures had the blank plates so I kind of figured LouIV did as well.

The MM exhausts have a very nice 'fat' profile to them, while the Eduard seem to be pinched in the 'waist'.  But I have a feeling with the Shrouds it will not really matter as only the end of the exhausts is visible with the shrouds.  Might have to find an unshrouded bird to build to use those exhausts.

Oh well!  Off to see my friends play a gig so I'm done for the evening.  More tomorrow.  Love 3 day weekends.

Take care!

Chris

A few updates since I was able to do some work this morning:

Masking the wings - bottom wing to fix some aluminum paint on the outer sections and to mask off the center section to spray dull Aluminum.

5xYv8E.jpg

After the painting.  Lower wing showing off the invasion strips and a nice comparison of the center section to the aluminum wings.  Wing tips not painted yet.

phmWS7.jpg

Upper wing, trying out the Vallejo 'dark green' which does not quite seem 'dark green' enough...

1b9Bgt.jpg

xeLALf.jpg

I figure the outer wings will have faded paint being older but the inner wing paint (the blue) will be much fresher.  Still need to look at the color and see if I think it needs to be a bit darker. I've left the wing masked as I'm thinking to go a darker shade tomorrow.  I try not to make hasty decisions when I'm painting as it never turns out well...

Also tried my hand on some of the tail camo.  Likely to re-edge that with the aluminum then on to the blue.  Here after several over spray's the green looks a lot better:

VBJ6s9.jpg

Also noticed two 'whammies' along the way.  No clue how I got a finger print in the yellow, but also must have put the fuselage down onto the paper towel I was using to catch some of the over spray.  So have a few more things to work on. Blast!!

DOz5r8.jpg

9HfFCQ.jpg

And now the moment of truth - working on the blue:

So the color in the middle is the stock Vallejo Mediterranean Dk Blue.  That just looked too light to me, when I compare to the pictures from Dana.  

ZhZJxi.jpg

The finish on the top of the wing was a little too messy for a good comparison, so flipped the wing over. I darkened it with about 15% Vallejo black.  It takes several coats to get the darker shade, but I like how the color is turning out.

rCRcCB.jpg

On to the Windscreen (and the Eduard masks!!) and the landing gear...

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Sometimes the carpet monster could have left a fingerprint hoping to shake a few parts looks as he might be hungry. Glad you found it now, with time to do the fix.

It's hard to say how close the blues actually are without being able to see them next to each other.

Keep 'em comon

Peter

So didn't brave the blue today mostly as I wanted to fix the tail and come to resolution on the green that was used and get that taken care of.

So did fix the tail, over spray of silver...

mXcpLl.jpg

Also test fitted the windscreen after a bit of black paint on the inside - used the sun screen cover as a paint guide...

THwNTp.jpg

Fit and Clarity is better than I expected when you are up close.  Not up to Tamiya standards, as has been noted and I didn't go through the effort that Quarg did (really nice job he did replacing the center glass!) but the fit is better than I expected.  Also been fitting the fuselage to the top wing - the fuselage is maybe 1mm too wide to fit perfectly so I've been working to get that addressed.  Getting better, but not perfect yet.

Also worked with 'Dark Green' to see if I could find something closer to what is in the pictures in the National Archives that Dana found.  I'm having two main issues:  Sometimes I look at the pictures and all I see is blue on LouIV's fuselage - rudder and all, and other times I see some green patches.  Regardless, for the wing I've added dark green to the outer panels:

5PzJNG.jpg

And the previous color for comparison:

xeLALf.jpg

I should have taken the picture against the same background but you probably see how much darker this green is.  Actually used Vallejo Black Green RLM 70.  Not a heavy coat, but enough to get the job done.

Other side:

ppjhA3.jpg

And before repainting:

1b9Bgt.jpg

That's it for now.  Taking the evening off to watch the Stanley Cup and the Warriors game.  Hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday weekend!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Nice progress and I know how you feel trying to get just the right color.

Enjoy the games there is always tomorrow

Keep 'em comin

Peter