Out2gtcha

If the only solution is to remove the cowl, do that then put it away, one significant hurdle out of the way when you do get back to it.

I actually did think about that Andy..........................but the last few days of going back and back and back over this again and again have really done me in. I just dont have it in me.  It just has so much work in it at this point, and I was so close being so deep in the painting stage, that this disaster has really knocked the wind out of my sails on this one. 

Im just worn out on it, as it was so SO close, only to have to go back  and cut apart the build. Uhhhh. I cant really even look at this stupid thing atm.   lol - Sounds overly dramatic, but Im just so done with fighting a kit and a certain problem, only to turn around and have the very next big battle on my hand, for pretty much zero reward.

What I really am in the mood for is a good modelling "win". Id love to actually finish something. I thought that may be the Extra since I was so close to the finish line, but now I really just want to dig out an IM plastic kit that doesnt need a whole lot of extras and finish it.

I have the US NATs in PHX coming up in early August, so was thinking about something small I could take with me to PHX along with my Ohka, but nothing has come to mind yet. Will probably think on that a bit more before starting something. I may just say screw it, and let the Ohka suffice thing  for PHX builds.  Or, if I can find something that fits the criteria of easy to build, right category, and small enough I may attempt to build something else for the NATs, but it will more likely just be something I pick that I can finish. 

I will wait patiently Brian. I know that one day you will rejuvenate your excitement and regain your strength, motivation will return so as the drive to finish it. I will wait .

Cheers

Martin

I'm sorry to hear about the setback on this build, Brian!  I can totally feel your frustration as it can be a difficult situation trying to address a structural issue with putty.  Hope you find the right project to get back in the fun frame of mind. 

sorry to witness your struggle & I feel your pain Brian :(

I may be in the minority, but I just say walk away..... don't look back, just walk away..

I decided long ago that I need to be at one with a model, if $hit happens I am much happier just moving on, no regrets, I will have learned / enjoyed something about my time with it, but it's over..

find something new - your time is precious, your enjoyment is paramount..and the only sense of guilt you should have is that it took you this long to realise :)

Peter

Thanks guys!

find something new - your time is precious, your enjoyment is paramount..

THIS. SO much this. I feel like the limited time I get at the bench, I dont want to spend feeling negative about a build. Actually the build was going fairly swimmingly until "the dent" happened.   To tell you the truth Peter I think that is exactly what Im going to do; not look back.

Now thats not to say Im saying Ill never touch it again, but it will be a good long while, as I really need to build up the mojo, and get back in the swing of modeling, so I can feel some enjoyment out of my beloved hobby once again. 

That's a shame, Brian. If it were me, I'd consider drilling a hole somewhere handy, and filling the offending area with resin. That way, you don't have to remove the cowl, but will have some reinforcement in the problem area for any continued work on it.

Kev

That's a shame, Brian. If it were me, I'd consider drilling a hole somewhere handy, and filling the offending area with resin. That way, you don't have to remove the cowl, but will have some reinforcement in the problem area for any continued work on it.

Kev

Huh........

That's one thing I hadn't thought about. That may actually work. I've checked and I don't really have any room to reach the area from the cheak cowl opening, so that may be the only way. I even have a bunch of small plastic injectors I could probably try.

Guest Maxim

Hi Brian, sorry to read of the problems with the cowl. I had the same thought. Any chance you could drill a hole in the underside of the airframe of the front cowl and pour liquid resin or epoxy in there?At least the hole will be underneath and can be patched unless it's as thin as the top.

Thanks guys, all good ideas actually, as I think injecting resin may be the only hope for this build, for as tired of it as I am, I feel like if I DO put it down now I might not ever pick it back up.

I also just so happen to have some two part clear acrylic resin for water use that may help hide any indication of the resin being seen from the cowl opening

Hi Brian   

Have you thought of getting a new cowl and vacuum form a new cowl form the replacement. Then slip the Vacuumed form one over the kit as it is now. Then just repaint.

Just an idea. :hmmm:

Sorry to hear all this frustration, when it was almost done.

Danny

I am sure Setal will send you a replacement cowl if you ask him. It would be a pity to abandon it when you got so close to the finishing line. 

Haha, this is a fact 100%   This is actually cowl #2 from Setal. The first one was ultra thin on the top from the factory, and got punched through right out of the gate, and had to get a replacement.  lcaerodesign has been wonderful in their customer service so far, with only some mild difficulty getting in touch with them, but that has been resolved.    :D   

That would be option #2 behind injecting the resin, as it would take chopping the cowl off which is what Ive been dreading. But yes, that would be another option to chop the current cowl off and get a replacement from Setal if the resin injection does not work.