Why do you do LSP?

wile1411

Thought I'd ask the question...

My main reason is because I suck at the smaller scales and figure I've got a better chance of something turning out decently at the 1:32 scale. But this is from someone who is still getting reaquainted with the hobby after a 25yr break.

Making a totally wild guess at potential responses, I figure people who most know what they're doing, possibly enjoy the detail the scale brings, or maybe you just like the size of the finished piece when you display it somewhere around the house.

Edited by wile1411

Lol, Clunkmeister! I still cant see half the parts in 1/32- particularly when wrestling with Eduards PE or that well known torture, threading the seat-belt buckle! :doh: :BANGHEAD2: :blowup:

I dont know what it is, but aircraft models just seem to look 'right' in 1/32- not just because they are big, because I prefer it over 1/24, but they just look the ideal size for a model.

I got more interested in LSP's because of the better quality kits that started coming out. I always liked them as dad built 1/32 models back when he built, but I was never really happy with the level of detail in the older stuff that was around when I was a teenager and plus I didn't have the skills then to build them the way I wanted.

It seems to me that the most innovative engineering from producers goes into 1/32, just look at the HKM Mossie and the Tammy releases.

In  addition I like the visual amd physical impact of a 1/32 scale model, so much better than 1/48 or smaller.

I do like 1/24 but the choice of kits is limited and then there is the additional storage/display space.  1/32 just seems a better balance overall.

</Humour begin> Because LSP is modeling , everything else is playing with toys...</humour end>

Like most of the answers your going to get ,in my case its partly my inability to see/manipulate/work with anything smaller than 32nd , and partly becuse 32nd kist are just so dammed cool when finished...  

Have I missed anything ?

ColinR

At the risk of being branded a heretic I believe 1/48 scale offers the best choice, quality and accuracy - but takes just as long as 1/32 scale kits to make, are fiddly and are almost as expensive as larger scales.

Moreover, 1/48 lack the heft and satisfaction of LSP nor do they offer scale guns, antennae, and other small attention to detail which can really lift a model in the bigger scales.

There is a great deal to choose from in 1/32 these days just within traditional IM styrene - hundreds and hundreds of kits compared to maybe thirty at any one time not that long ago - and a staggering array of aftermarket.

Tony

I like the size and weight of the finished models. I too prefer the impact a big LSP makes on the contest tables as well. TBH, its nothing to do with eyesight for me personally, as Ive got very decent close in vision (Cant say the same for the far away stuff!).

I also agree 32nd is for me, the perfect balance between size, and the ability to add nice detail. The level of acceptable detail you can put on a 48th scale model or especially a 72nd scale one, is MUCH lower than LSPs; meaning, if you really want a decent looking model, and you choose 32nd, you really do have to step up the detail most times. What makes NO difference or cant be seen in 48th or 72nd, or is acceptable detail in those scales is not really acceptable in 32nd scale.   You can just plain see more things, and add more stuff. 

Guest Smitty44

I can remember all to well the first day I walked into Brookhurst Hobbies and laid my eye upon the first big Tomcat Tamiya produced. That immediately became the goal for me, to someday be good enough to build and display big impressive kits like that.

P4280011.jpg

Edited by Smitty44

Ditto to all of the above. It also might sound a bit backward, but the smaller selection in 1/32 means fewer kits on my bucket list, which means a smaller stash for me. I usually build exclusively 1/32 props, and with a few notable exceptions, almost every aircraft I want is now available in 1/32, and in better quality than ever before. Keeps me in check.