HK Early B-17G?

Uncarina

That's the one I'm working on at the mo - shades of Airfix box art memories :)

Iain

Exactly!

I had that kit as a child and would definitely buy it in 1/32 - I am not adventurous enough to scratch it.

When researching markings for my E / F kit, I was also struck at how many options I though ‘ooh that's cool', only to find it was not possible because of astrodome window present etc.

Basically Sod's Law, and not really a criticism of HK btw

Exactly!

I had that kit as a child and would definitely buy it in 1/32 - I am not adventurous enough to scratch it.

When researching markings for my E / F kit, I was also struck at how many options I though ‘ooh that's cool', only to find it was not possible because of astrodome window present etc.

Basically Sod's Law, and not really a criticism of HK btw

Pssstt.... The astrodome and the fairing on top of the fuselage nose are included in the E/F kit if that's what you're referring to.  Just sayin..... :coolio:

Edited by Juggernut

I've ordered David Parker's B-17G Big Bird Modelling Guide, and was delighted to see he chose Little Miss Mischief as his subject. From the pics I've seen he went with the pumpkin tail turret, though the only photo I've seen of her after her repair had the earlier turret:

Qdv1lzr.jpg

http://fineartofdecals.com/goodies/b-17g-little-miss-mischief/

Hopefully he has some info about this!

Cheers, Tom

Pssstt.... The astrodome and the fairing on top of the fuselage nose are included in the E/F kit if that's what you're referring to. Just sayin..... :coolio:

My kit is in storage so I can't check

Are you sure parts are in there for a ‘late F' with the astrodome?

All the kit options show no astrodome

Or do you just mean the nose parts from the G are included, which doesn't really help unless you want to do a lot of scratch building

[edit]: i know see what you mean having seen pics in a review, so thank you for your help!

:)

Edited by nmayhew

I've ordered David Parker's B-17G Big Bird Modelling Guide, and was delighted to see he chose Little Miss Mischief as his subject. From the pics I've seen he went with the pumpkin tail turret, though the only photo I've seen of her after her repair had the earlier turret:

Qdv1lzr.jpg

http://fineartofdecals.com/goodies/b-17g-little-miss-mischief/

Hopefully he has some info about this!

Cheers, Tom

Little Miss Mischief had the Cheyenne turret added at a later date so depending on when you wished to depict her, you'd be correct using either tail turret.

David Parker's Fort is a beauty, but beware of using his internal colours as a guide as unfortunately he fell into the same trap as many do when building B-17s and painted the interior US Interior Green. Such a colour was never used in B-17 production, as all internal surfaces were left in natural aluminium. The exception was the exposed metal areas on the flightdeck which were painted Dark Dull Green.

I've been researching the Fortress for many years and have plenty of info should you want it when the time comes to start your project, including a beauty of a picture with Little Miss Mischief and her later tail turret.

Tom

Tom,

Thank you! I will definitely heed your advice about the interior colors, and any other insights you might have. I've also read over as much of the previous relevant posts on this forum as I can. It is great news that I would not have to modify HK's Cheyenne turret. Now I just have to get the kit!

Cheers, Tom

Edited by Uncarina

Little Miss Mischief had the Cheyenne turret added at a later date so depending on when you wished to depict her, you'd be correct using either tail turret.

Hey Tom, where'd you source the information for this conclusion?  I haven't been able to find any photos of her with a pumpkin tail turret. 

The idea has been floated to them, and the response was positive.  Has there been any indication of if/when it will happen?  No.

They mentioned this when I talked to them before.  Who knows when.  Seems a lot of people want the early G including myself.

Hey Tom, where'd you source the information for this conclusion? I haven't been able to find any photos of her with a pumpkin tail turret.

Give me a day or two (rather busy at work at the moment) and I'll dig the pictures out and share them here for you.

Tom

Guest Maxim

I've been holding off buying the B-17 also as I really want to do an early B-17G but without kit bashing 2 very expensive kits.I always wanted to build Chow-hound.

B-17G_42-31367_Chow_Hound_of_91st_Bomb_G

Guest Maxim

Yes mate I have. Chow-hound was the oldest serving B-17 went she went down in France in 1944 so I read. She had her third crew on board and had completed 49 missions by memory. She still carried the national Insignia under the wing outlined in red.

Edited by Maxim

Hey Tom, where'd you source the information for this conclusion?  I haven't been able to find any photos of her with a pumpkin tail turret. 

As promised, pictorial evidence of Little Miss Mischief with the Cheyenne turret...

Here's the 401st's Bomb Squadron 'Anxious Angel' returning from an operation and just about to pass over Dover's famous white cliffs on the south coast. Below her rear fuselage you'll see a flight of B-17s, and one of them, coded DF-F is Little Miss Mischief with her shiny Cheyenne tail turret in full view:

41137421494_21e384b7de_z.jpg

And zoomed in - sorry the quality isn't great but again the later turret is clearly visible:

26986413957_5bee435d08_z.jpg

The difference is clear when you compare DF-D above it which has the earlier 'stinger' tail gun installation.

All the best,

Tom