He-111P, night raids over the British Isles

Guest Martinnfb

Some great photos there- that second one, the pilot must have been cursing the photographer, either using a flash or powerful spotlight, right into his face just before he takes off on a night mission! So much for night vision?

As a Brit, I have to say, the shape of the 111 always makes me think of the Blitz- very evocative, and 1940/41 they had the night-time skies over the UK pretty much to themselves save for a few Defiants and some hardy day fighter types- wasnt until the end of '41 the Beaufighter started making an impact by hacking them down in droves.

Looking forward to seeing this build and will be following closely.

As an aside- my Father was a schoolboy in County Durham during the war, and told me about a time a 111 came down after it got lost on a Glasgow raid. He and his friends cycled up to the wreckage after school which was being guarded by a local policeman. After a while the cop left and they snuck in, and my Dad came away with a big chunk of the perspex from the nose. He took it home, put a poker in the fire (his Mum was out) and pushed a hole through it. He then proceeded to put his finger in the hole, which contracted, trapping his finger. He then had to wait for his mother to come home and help him round to the fire station where, after much joking, they eventually cut it off!

it looks like a cool project Martin! and big one  :)

Will follow with great interest

jan

Thank You Jan, it is definitely big piece of plastic with many revels-like errors, so it should be fun to make it look presentable :)

Digging it my friend !........Harv :popcorn:

Thank you Harvey, this has been on my shelf for years, so I might as well build it.

Some great photos there- that second one, the pilot must have been cursing the photographer, either using a flash or powerful spotlight, right into his face just before he takes off on a night mission! So much for night vision?

As a Brit, I have to say, the shape of the 111 always makes me think of the Blitz- very evocative, and 1940/41 they had the night-time skies over the UK pretty much to themselves save for a few Defiants and some hardy day fighter types- wasnt until the end of '41 the Beaufighter started making an impact by hacking them down in droves.

Looking forward to seeing this build and will be following closely.

As an aside- my Father was a schoolboy in County Durham during the war, and told me about a time a 111 came down after it got lost on a Glasgow raid. He and his friends cycled up to the wreckage after school which was being guarded by a local policeman. After a while the cop left and they snuck in, and my Dad came away with a big chunk of the perspex from the nose. He took it home, put a poker in the fire (his Mum was out) and pushed a hole through it. He then proceeded to put his finger in the hole, which contracted, trapping his finger. He then had to wait for his mother to come home and help him round to the fire station where, after much joking, they eventually cut it off!

Thank You for stopping by and sharing the story Thunda. Shape of 111 is legendary, menacing, evil looking machine . As I was searching for materials i also bumped into pictures filled with pain and suffering. Unforgettably high price of freedom.

PA-4716150-1024x691.jpgPA-4716018-1024x839.jpgPA-8300706-788x1024.jpgPA-8316171-1-1024x804.jpg

Thank You Gaz.

I had a couple of hours today, so I dig into the cockpit area, scribed the line to separate the doors, added the hingers with mounts. Added the bracket for fire extinguisher and IR nightlight above the door.

I also decided to open the bombardier's area, so I made the frame with sliders, new bracket for altimeter and speedo with the backing and the actual bodies of those instruments, possibly somebody will look there.

There is incredible amount of essential stuff still missing, for example Lotfernrohr 7 bombsight, bunch of framework and plumbing .

HcDnHM2.jpg

You're taking on an impressive amount of work detailing the backside of the IP and all of the stuff listed in your last post.  Obviously it will look much better than what comes in the box.  But you would think that RoG (heavy emphasis on the "G")...  would have done all of that stuff for such a large scale kit.  I mean...it ain't 1/72 where everything disappears behind canopy framing.

I don't have the room...  but knowing that a few minutes down the road, Revell 111H6 and 88a4 (or 5, not sure) in 1/32 is a heavy temptation to fight off.

Gaz

Thank You Gas they are pretty aren't they :).

He he William, I am just playing around trying to figure out how to approach this, last night I filled the engines and fuselage, and after some rescribing I shall start riveting odyssey :). Talking about pictures, I am having hell of a time to find some shots of radio compartment for La-7, unreal.

At this moment I am gearing up for the bombsight, perhaps even tonight after I put my daughter to bed? Should be good. :)

U2-Lotfe.jpgimg178.jpg702.jpg

Edited by Martinnfb

All those resin pieces from HGW seat set are ok, but I decided to use only the pilot's one, since Revell's offering can be adjusted with rotary tool in order to mimic the fabric effect. 

Here is the progress from last night

iTFnLkg.jpgdG2WelT.jpg