• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:39 AM

Just a little gripe and opportunity to discuss... I just spent 35$USD to have a legal size letter (envelope) mailed to me from Nebraska.... and, I’m in Austria, Europe. I had to mail a legal size letter (envelope) overseas and it only cost me USD equivalent 8$. What is going on in the US? Postal rates seem to be over the top in the land of the free... is this why so many decide to keep transactions within the CONUS?
America used to be known for great service, and reasonable pricing.... now you almost need to drop your shorts and assume the position when you go to the USPS office to mail something!
I can’t believe it... and don’t even get me started with Kanadastan.... mailed a parcel 2.5 months ago to a friend in Ontario and Kanadastan Kustoms let it sit for 2.4 months in storage before opening it to check for illegal substances... 2.4 months.... my friend in Ontario told me that nobody is mailing dope, coke, or heroine anymore... only tiny little packages of crystal meth which the old system of weighing each parcel to determin if it could hold drugs no longer is effective so the Kustoms Officers in Kanadastan now have to backlog everything and scrutinize by hand.... wasn’t Kanadastan also the home of the free?
As time rolls on we pay more and more for services... with no service included.
Our world has become crazy...
Cheers
Alan
  • Jack, Lothar, Granger Davis and 7 others like this

#2 dodgem37

dodgem37

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,360 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:53 AM

'What is going on in the US?'

It's Donald Trump's fault.  The USPS has different rates.  Weight, size, and speed of delivery.  Recently I unfortunately used a Priority Mail DVD-sized box to mail parts to Canada,  I think it was $35 USD.  My mistake.  Your box was bigger but I sent it regular International and was less expensive.

'is this why so many decide to keep transactions within the CONUS?'

Weight determines how much 'paperwork' needs to be filled out.  You remember the tab on your box.  It was small.  The larger sheet is about the size of an A-4 sheet of paper.

Sincerely,

Mark

• alaninaustria, Jack, Thunda and 1 other like this

#3 3Putt

3Putt

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:53 AM

Unfortunately a few weeks ago USPS changed their policies regarding overseas shipments.  We used to be able to send decals and whatnot as Flat/Large Envelope and it was generally reasonable (in the $8 range give or take).  Now everything is considered a parcel regardless and charges have doubled.  Still $35 seems excessive unless it was sent as Priority or Express.

Bob

• alaninaustria, MARU5137, Nanook and 2 others like this

#4 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:31 AM

'What is going on in the US?'

It's Donald Trump's fault.  The USPS has different rates.  Weight, size, and speed of delivery.  Recently I unfortunately used a Priority Mail DVD-sized box to mail parts to Canada,  I think it was $35 USD.  My mistake.  Your box was bigger but I sent it regular International and was less expensive.

'is this why so many decide to keep transactions within the CONUS?'

Weight determines how much 'paperwork' needs to be filled out.  You remember the tab on your box.  It was small.  The larger sheet is about the size of an A-4 sheet of paper.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark, yes, I was surprised that the shipping costs were less on the parcel you sent to me... but, 35$ bucks to mail an international legal size envelope with 10$ worth of decals in it?? That's highway robbery... those kind of shipping charges could kill small businesses... or discourage the shippment of private goods but, then again that might just be the whole point! And an A4 size sheet of paper work... that's also nuts... I can understand the tendency to want to avoid such amounts of ridculous paperwork... 

Anyways, thanks again for the parts - much appreciated!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria, 23 February 2018 - 11:33 AM.

• Alburymodeler, Nanook, Thunda and 1 other like this

#5 mozart

mozart

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:08 PM

Sadly I've just had to cancel my Dragon order of a Kubelwagen and Bf110E2 on Dragon's special deal offer. The estimate for postage to the UK was $45 which I thought a bit steep but linked with the offer quite acceptable, but the actual figure was double that and made a nonsense of the deal as far as non-US customers is concerned. I feel quite miffed about it.
Max
  • Nanook, Thunda and Jeff like this

Max

www.ordinarycrew.co.uk

#6 ScottsGT

ScottsGT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:11 PM

It has gotten ridiculous.  A lot of the blame goes directly to the USPS because of contracts they are giving big breaks to Amazon, Walmart, etc.  Since Trump was mentioned, he also tweeted (imagine that!) about this favoritism towards Amazon and putting a heavy burden on the system and the big breaks they are getting.

Why they are giving Amazon a break is beyond me, especially since their ultimate goal is to do away with USPS delivery and going with drones.

• Jack, Big Texan, MARU5137 and 2 others like this

#7 Guest_Smitty44_*

Guest_Smitty44_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:15 PM

Dunno,but USPS has been struggling for years. Actually it's because we want all the decals for ourselves! MIne Mine Mine!

• Rick Griewski likes this

#8 Thunda

Thunda

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:29 PM

Its stopped me buying kits from the US altogether. Used to buy at least 1 or 2 a month via fleabay or suppliers I got to know- now the extortinate rates just make it out of the question to deal with US suppliers. A real shame. I know many of the members here put 'CONUS only' on their sales for this very reason, as they assume (rightly) that it prices their goods out of the UK/Europe market. Im aware that some members still think its 'more hassle' to deal outside the US, but that isnt true- just more expensive for the buyer.

Surely these rates help no-one, particularly USPS, as they must have seen a big drop off in sales....

• Jeff likes this

#9 LSP_Mike

LSP_Mike

LSP Staff

• LSP Moderator
  • 8,995 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:26 PM

Collusion....

• johncrow and Jeff like this

in progress:

1/32 Hase Me-109G2/R6
1/35 Su-85/ winter- attach to base
1/32 DH-9a USMC- Delivered to Flying Leathernecks Museum, MCAS Miramar
1/32 Mig-3:winter paint and weathering: in progress and base
Yacht America need some parts.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place...
Yes, I built models when I was a kid too.... no they're not toys....

#10 Rick K

Rick K

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:41 PM

USPS Priority International vs USPS Priority International Express there is quite a difference in pricing.  Both are trackable. 

Of course USPS First Class is less expensive and trackable if postage is generated via USPS website.

#11 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:52 PM

Well, I guess the moral of the story is “ don’t forget the jar of vaseline” if you’re using USPS international service...
Cheers
Alan
  • Rick Griewski, Martinnfb, Nanook and 2 others like this

#12 seiran01

seiran01

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:25 PM

$35 is indeed excessive for an envelope, even if it was rigid with a few ounces of cardboard. I've been doing lot of European shipping this week and it's still working out to $23-$25 airmail for a single wingnut wings kit, but I am noticing a larger jump each time the weight hits the next full pound.  It's still better than ups/fedex once they hit you with import broker fees and all that crap

#13 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:31 PM

What's the alternative folks?  UPS?  FedEx?  DHL?  Have you priced them?  I'm not happy about it either, but the USPS is constantly running on the edge of insolvency (thanks to Congress - mostly one particular party in Congress who shall not be named of course, since somebody might get offended).  It's not like the USPS is paying its CEO hundreds of millions in stock options and bonuses.  USPS rates are still among the lowest in the world, whether we like it (or whether we choose to believe that fact) or not.

• Rick Griewski, Big Texan, Martinnfb and 2 others like this

"It's all part of the show..."

#14 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,811 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:47 PM

The post office in the USA has been and is operating with a tremendous deficit and is losing money every year.

So we citizens are being overcharged to make up the differences. We are retreating into a "Buy American" policy of economic isolation. If the Post Office were still a government agency there would be no problem, for losses would be ignored and the government would simply pay it and go on to fund other 'important' things, like making a wall to surround the entire country :rofl: . 

• Martinnfb and Thunda like this
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#15 Dave Williams

Dave Williams

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:07 PM

The post office in the USA has been and is operating with a tremendous deficit and is losing money every year.
So we citizens are being overcharged to make up the differences. We are retreating into a "Buy American" policy of economic isolation. If the Post Office were still a government agency there would be no problem, for losses would be ignored and the government would simply pay it and go on to fund other 'important' things, like making a wall to surround the entire country :rofl: .

No political commentary there. Nope, not at all.

Not sure why people feel compelled to mention the President’s name or talk about the “wall”, neither of which have any relevance to the discussion of USPS post rates. Hopefully warning point are being handed out.

Edited by Dave Williams, 23 February 2018 - 05:12 PM.

• Granger Davis, LSP_Typhoonattack, Jeff and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users