IAF F-16I SUFA UPDATE: 5/17/14: PAINTING AND CAMMO

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE 1/4/14: THE OPENING ROUND

With just a few bits left to add , Old Crow my P-51D build will be finished and in the books. I've been wanting to do the Sufa for quite some time and with the GB for Foreign or Captured Aircraft, what better time! My build plan as always: enhance the kit with After Market products but leave the basic kit as is. While Academy has done a fine job with the Sufa, I planned on upgrading the kit with:

Wolfpacks' resin cockpit set which looks to be very extensive.

Wolfpack;s Sufa Exterior Set

Aires Wheel Bay set

Aires Exhaust Nozzle set

I've never used any Wolfpack products before and am eager to see how they are. On an initial peek, the sets appear very well done.

The key for me is the reference material and in this case, the much sought after book: F-16I Sufa in IAF Service from IsraDecal. I just want to thank Mark (mark31) for allowing me to purchase the book and mailing to me so quickly.

I'm still not sure about purchasing the Eduard sets yet but I'll se as I go.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

The Kit

PCW_4495_zps630388f2.jpg

Nice packaged and well protected

PCW_4499_zps2433a5db.jpg

Gorgeous Cartograph Decals: pickout which scheme to use is not going to be easy!

PCW_4500_zps3c3c099c.jpg

After market Sets

PCW_4496_zps21b5f1b3.jpg

Reference - Thanks again Mark

PCW_4498_zps2310033b.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Nice subject Peter! I'm putting the finishing touches on my F-16D kit and I'm really eager to see how you, Put the Smack Down on this kit! As Daywalker mentioned, The Sufa is powered by the Pratt & Whitney 229 engine. Not meaning to bash the Aires nozzle, But if you choose to use it,  Be awhare that the nozzle is over scale for the resin donut shroud. The nozzle itself, Is intended to fit the Tamiya shroud. I ran into this issue while building my D. Otherwise, The detail is extremely nice.

One other thing to mention, When glueing the wing halves together, Do not glue the rear of the wings "Where the flaps install" this will help you when you decide to attach them at a later stage. Other than that, Its a pretty cool kit to build!!!

Mike

Edited by jmreed76

Guest Peterpools

Sinuhe

Glad you will be along for the journey. I've been reading a studying the photos in the Sufa book, just trying to understand the overall

flavor' and presences of the Sufa. One thing that is very apparent is the aircraft are kept in immaculate condition and preshading to bring out the  panel lines and weathering, don't seem to belong. Still lots to learn as The Sufa is now on the bench

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi Frank

Thanks for the info and warning. I read up on a few builds and each used this exhaust, so I'll need to not assume things in the future.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

MIke

Thanks for the information and adding to Frank's information. Look's like I'll have an extra exhaust for a future project as I want o be as accurate ass possible. Looks like I'll have to pick up the Eduard PE set for the exhaust details.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Frank and Mike

You guys are 100% correct and the Aires nozzles are a no go. I contacted Sprue Brothers and inquired if I can exchange them for the Eduard PE set which has the  parts for the exhaust and a ton of other goodies.

See what happens.

Thanks again

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Don

To be honest, I haven't even decided on the markings or the weapons set yet. Right now, I've buried myself in the Sufa book and learning as much as I can, as quickly as I can. The weapon sets look daunting, with so many to choose from and after building mostly WWII fighters for a while, it's  a bit overwhelming. Any suggestions?

Peter

Academy is really generous with their weapons in the 1/32 kits. Not all the weapons included with the Sufa can be used. I used 2xAIM120, 2x Python-4, 2xGBU-24 and 2x600 Gal. tanks. I took the GBU-24 from the F/A-18C kit. What i wanted to hang were the GBU-39 small diameter bombs that are included with the Sufa, they include two racks but only four bombs. I have another Sufa in the stash that i will build with two racks as soon as i can confirm the GBU-39 is cleared on the Sufa. I know the IDFAF did buy the 39, would really make for a unique loadout. GBU-31(V)3 are rarely seen  on builds as well. You can try Googling the Sufa but i really couldn't find much. HTH

Don