• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#136 Lothar

Lothar

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:23 PM

@ Clunkmeister: it took me 20 mins. of my life to figure out what "dinkweeds" are :coolio:

Lothar

• Rick Griewski, Out2gtcha, Vandy 1 VX 4 and 1 other like this

#137 ScottsGT

ScottsGT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:32 PM

I have been lurking on this thread, and I am chuckling at all the comments, good , all of them, and most thought provoking, BUT I remember many years ago when Monogram came out with the '1/48' scale B-17 AND Liberator, they were the Biggest things ever, and when Tamiya came out with the 1/48 Lancaster, I had to have 3 of those, big bad boys, NOW back then, who ever thought we would have a 1/32 scale Mosquito, B 25 , B 17, Liberator and Lancaster?? Surly NOT me............... this is a great time to be a scale model guy....incredible things happening in this turbulent world eh boys??  I for one, like that part, the rest, ...... the turbulent part, well not so much... LOL

And I bet they're still sitting in your stash. :whistle:

#138 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:37 PM

@ Clunkmeister: it took me 20 mins. of my life to figure out what "dinkweeds" are :coolio:

Lothar

:rofl:

Ooooh, Unforgivable. Comes from my years living in the Boston area. :)

Like slang local dialect German. I'd be lost like a blind man in a room full of volleyballs.

Edited by Clunkmeister, 13 March 2018 - 07:04 PM.

• Lothar likes this
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker

#139 acresearcher

acresearcher

• LSP_Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:31 PM

Good day, all!

I've been following this discussion of the upcoming 1/32 B-24's with a great deal of glee and interest. I thought perhaps I should share some information here in anticipation of the kits' releases.

First, thank you to those who spoke so kindly of my book, "Consolidated Mess, Vol. I".  While I've found additional materials to go into a future reprint, the book remains true to its original purpose of providing a one-volume detailed overview of the nose-turreted B-24's in USAAF service. I am still working on Volume II on the Glassnoses, as well as gathering materials for Vol. III. \

In regard to the old Revell PB4Y-1 kit and its artwork, this aircraft's paint scheme remains a mystery. However, in some discussions with Navy color expert Dana Bell he believes it may be "Deck Blue". The Navy determined that their rather light bluegray made the aircraft on carrier decks stand out too much. They ordered that a new, darker blue be used but was still called bluegray. You can see this color change beginning in later 1941, and I have a color shot of the tail of a PBM that is in a much darker blue but NOT the sea blue later adopted. The underside is still clearly light gray, so I believe this is one of the "smoking guns" of color identification. Dana is planning a book a Navy colors that will go into a lot of detail on the many changes in that took place in aircraft camouflage. He does not have a date for its completion, however. In the meantime, however, Dana is expecting his monograph on OD and Neutral Gray to be published sometime in the next 4-6 weeks. It is chock full of wonderful color photos with lots of info on OD and various camouflage patterns. 

Ginter's book on the PB4Y-1/1P is a very nicely-illustrated book on these versions of the B-24. There is one error on Page 5 that needs to be addressed, however. Ginter states that the "droop snoot" ASW aircraft were produced with the Oklahoma nose. This is incorrect. They were provided with the Middleton Air Depot nose which had the side lower nose windows at an angle. The OKCD's aircraft had similar windows but they were horizontal in nature. All this is covered in Vol. I of "Mess". 

Earlier in this thread someone stated that the B-24 could fly higher, faster, longer range, etc. This is only partially correct. In the ETO the B-24 could never reach the same altitude as the B-17s, and used a lot of fuel maintaining the altitudes it could reach. This is due to two interrelated factors. The wing was designed for a MUCH MUCH MUCH lighter aircraft than that which went into combat. So the wing design and the literally tons of additional weight added to the B-24 to make it combat-worthy made it very sluggish at high altitudes. In theaters where high altitude formation flying was was not an issue - CBI, all the Pacific theaters, the Aleutians and ASW work, this did not matter much. Thus the B-24's ability to carry more weight farther truly came into play.  In the Pacific especially this enabled them to use additional fuel tanks for extended range in one of the bomb bays and carry a fairly standard load (2000lbs and maybe more) in the other. It is also important to know that in the Pacific a great number of raids were flown by single aircraft, or 5-10 at most on a "big raid". It wasn't until the B-29s were able to hit Japan from Guam, Tinian, etc. that large raids started to take place on a regular basis.  The size and concentration of targets on the Japanese mainland made these practical, but just hitting an island here and there did not warrant such raids.

If there are any questions that I might answer please feel free to post them here and I'll periodically check in and see about answering them.

Respectfully submitted,

Alan Griffith, author

"Consolidated Mess, Vol. I"

• alaninaustria, Kagemusha, Tony T and 10 others like this

#140 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 41,172 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:35 PM

Welcome aboard, Alan!

:post1:

Kev

• Martinnfb likes this

#141 Guest_Smitty44_*

Guest_Smitty44_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:39 PM

Yes,welcome for sure!

• Martinnfb and Out2gtcha like this

#142 Mark P

Mark P

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:52 PM

Yes, welcome indeed. Your book, Consolidated Mess, is among my prized references. My compliments on your efforts and I really look forward to additional volumes.

Mark Proulx
  • Martinnfb likes this

#143 LSP_Typhoonattack

LSP_Typhoonattack

• LSP Moderator
  • 26,864 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:03 PM

references ready!

NeNeEHe.jpg

I don't have all of these, but I do have several, as well as quite a few others. I never seem to grow weary of the big ol' B-24.

• Martinnfb likes this

Kevin

I was going to procrastinate tonight, but decided to wait.

In Progress:

#144 Juggernut

Juggernut

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:19 PM

Hello Alan,

I NEED a copy of Consolidated Mess!  I missed out on the first printing but won't sacrifice two arms and a leg to get a copy so I eagerly await another release.  Oh, and welcome to our community :post1:

• Martinnfb likes this

"You can always tell a pilot.... But you can't tell him much." Pat Malara Sr. (1925 - 1997) USAAC CBI, Owner/Founder, Riverside School of Aeronautics

#145 Mark P

Mark P

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:26 PM

Yes...that book commands some serious cash now.

Mark Proulx
  • Martinnfb likes this

#146 nmayhew

nmayhew

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:40 PM

Yes...that book commands some serious cash now.

Mark Proulx

really?

i bought it from Amazon UK - but it was a US seller shipping from USA - for £21.50 on the 9th of February.

Did i get the last one or something??

• Martinnfb and LSP_Typhoonattack like this

#147 Guest_Smitty44_*

Guest_Smitty44_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:43 PM

Must have been someone who had no clue, though this is outrageous.

https://www.amazon.c...L70_&dpSrc=srch

Edited by Smitty44, 13 March 2018 - 08:44 PM.

• Martinnfb likes this

#148 mmaben

mmaben

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:13 PM

Good day, all!

:hi:

• Martinnfb likes this

I just like airplanes

Mike                        Smirnoffcat    RomanianG-2

#149 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:01 PM

Here is a buyer of the future glass nose volume!

• Martinnfb likes this

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#150 vince14

vince14

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:11 PM

Must have been someone who had no clue, though this is outrageous.

https://www.amazon.c...L70_&dpSrc=srch

Got to love Amazon's crazy pricing algorithms...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users