1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

Hi folks :)

The postman has just dropped the PE off, so time to take a lookat what we have...

..rear fuselage floor - this is where the fuselage fuel tank sits...

WIP156_zpsbdddtojp.jpg

..and it's rigid layer..

WIP163_zpst5rn62vh.jpg

the top layer of the IP, and the IP surround layers..

WIP155_zpsupr8bumh.jpg

..the middle layer of the IP - this carries just the bezels..

WIP157_zpsdausk7xm.jpg

..one of the fuselage frames and inside it a number of cockpit switch panels - you can see the layers - a solid back layer onto which a detailed relief layer is added. From these designs the decals for all the labeling is scaled so I know they will fit..

WIP158_zpsnzstuyiz.jpg

..same again with another frame..

WIP159_zpsexhnhtyb.jpg

..a bunch of fuselage station formers - these need a strip adding to them so they look like a pressing...

WIP160_zpscmvatcbj.jpg

WIP161_zps0nfnd3ew.jpg

..you can see part of the sub-floor here for the main fuselage - the real aircraft has multiple floor panels - this panel is to mount all those sub-panels to, and inside it some more formers - I think this is the spare lamp bulb hatch..

WIP162_zpsxzpxnj4x.jpg

..some of the individual floor panels - these will be laminated with micro plywood as the real ones were wood construction, but with a metal backing like this I can be sure I get the shape right and all the fixings & screws...

WIP164_zpslimlpptg.jpg

..the throttle quadrant and levers..

WIP166_zpsmya7c8bj.jpg

..and the rudder pedals with their embossed logo & text..

WIP165_zps0zft2sla.jpg

Good show, Peter.  Did you trace or free-hand?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark - pretty much all of the PE was traced in Coreldraw from manufaturers drawings so they should be bang on for dimensions / proportions. Each of those drawings is dimensioned in inches so I just convert the inches to mm and scale to 1/18 :)

So, with all the first tranche of parts done, I can start to make things now and start to get the internal fuselage structure built out..

TTFN

Peter

Edited by airscale

Nice results.

WIP158_zpsnzstuyiz.jpg

The fuel selector has engraved copy.  How is that going to relate with the decals?

WIP159_zpsexhnhtyb.jpg

Not to sound like a hound dog, but the opening is off-center.  I don't know if that matters or not.

WIP166_zpsmya7c8bj.jpg

69 all the time.  Heh, heh.

WIP165_zps0zft2sla.jpg

That symbol and copy is nice.  No anti-skid tracks?

Good show, Peter.

Sincerely,

Mark

Nice results.

The fuel selector has engraved copy.  How is that going to relate with the decals?

That symbol and copy is nice.  No anti-skid tracks?

Good show, Peter.

Sincerely,

Mark

thanks for stopping by Mark - there is a blank fuel selector seen below it, so I will either use that and the decal, or the etched one will be sprayed black and hopefully I can scrape off the etched relief to leave the bare metal below (like the real one) and not use the decal - so a couple of options in play :)

..not sure what you mean by anti skid tracks - the pics I have of the rudder pedals just seem to show them in painted metal so I will have to look a little deeper...

I couldn't resist making a quick start on a PE part, so started with a floor panel - this was stuck to some 0.4mm ply I have had since I was a kid, I have no idea where I got it, but it's perfect for this application..

WIP167_zpsfanrmplx.jpg

..I drilled out the holes from the back onto a hard sheet of perspex after covering it in tape to stop the surface splintering and put little lengths of lead wire through the holes...

..note also I haven't cut the final shape until all this was finished so I have a larger, more stable part to work with rather than lots of little edges and cut-outs.....

WIP168_zpsjuuksdve.jpg

..the underneath is a mess of CA holding them all..

WIP169_zpsnqroqrsb.jpg

..then all the stubs are sanded flush..

WIP170_zpsvcyprbzl.jpg

..and on the bottom too...

WIP171_zpse9ndjnwn.jpg

..and then it's cut to shape from the back, using the PE part as a guide..

WIP172_zpsyxhx8opa.jpg

WIP173_zps16wgkvhv.jpg

..I will likely varnish it or something so I can wear off the black paint later for scuff marks..

WIP174_zpsgxtldaoa.jpg

...will repeat for the other wooden panels..

TTFN

Peter

Help needed folks...

does anyone have any detail on the external labelling on a P51?

I can see there are many dotted around the airframe, and have asked Aircorps if they have anything showing what they are, but in the meantime is there a P51 resource somewhere that shows them for a 'C'?

WIP175_zpstcsrwomi.jpg

TIA

Peter

Great job, Peter!

I think I'm jealous, or something like that...

:doh:

Peter, how small is the smallest hole in the PE?

Or, how small hole one can get?

I guess it's in the instructions you had put the link for before...

Don't stop, please!

Thanks.

Juraj

Help needed folks...

I can see there are many dotted around the airframe, and have asked Aircorps if they have anything showing what they are, but in the meantime is there a P51 resource somewhere that shows them for a 'C'?

WIP175_zpstcsrwomi.jpg

TIA

Peter

Peter, you need document 102-00010 on Aircops library for full P-51B/C markings and labels. Just type the number in the "Search" frame.

Help needed folks...

WIP175_zpstcsrwomi.jpg

TIA

Peter

Peter...

I think you have a ways to go before you are ready for external stencils, eh?

LOL

Peter, you need document 102-00010 on Aircops library for full P-51B/C markings and labels. Just type the number in the "Search" frame.

Unbelievable! thank you so much, that is EXACTLY what I was after :)

Peter...

I think you have a ways to go before you are ready for external stencils, eh?

LOL

ah yes, but I am doing the decal artwork so I need to get all of it gathered together now so i can get them printed with an airscale stock order that is getting overdue :)

Peter