A Tale of Two Falcons

Uncarina

You're making great progress there Tom!

I spent the better part of the morning going through that RPF thread you linked to. So much info there it's overwhelming.

Hopefully once I've got some of the kits on my bench cleared, I'll start on one of the Falcons in my stash. Maybe the 1/144 Bandai to go with the Fine Molds one I finished previously.

Carl

Carl,

That would be great! I'm curious how the FM differs from the Bandai counterpart in 1/144 scale; I believe FM used the 32†filming model for reference in this scale as well. Here's a link I found today to a PG build by one of the kit designers: http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/jp/special/millenniumfalcon_building_guide.html

Cheers, Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Final construction update. This kit has over 600 pieces, and the fit is absolutely amazing: all of the pieces except the photoetch is a press fit.  It has also been fun seeing all of the miniature prototype kit parts included all over the build. One of my last two pieces were WWII aircraft tail wheel struts! Next up: painting and weathering.

Happy New Year,  Tom

WJDnQUf.jpg

nImZ7HQ.jpg

3SPrVn8.jpg

eCQQeSY.jpg

P5tHtY6.jpg

n6S0Y9E.jpg

John,

Thank you! No intimidation for the build warranted: the instructions are good enough to rival Zoukei-Mura's, and made easier by a stellar fit, but for the painting... my general approach at this point is to complete the black base, then the base coat, then lots of masking. One advantage of the press-fit is that I can remove some parts temporarily to aid masking.

Cheers, Tom

Carl,

Thanks! I appreciate your encouragement. As for this scheme, maybe after the Empire seizes the Falcon in episode XX...

I'm hoping for a smooth foundation after polishing so the base color goes on well, then maybe I should get more tape for masking all of the panels!

Cheers, Tom