de Havilland 82a Tiger Moth (Revell)

mozart

This makes interesting reading, bit of a shunt between two Tiger Moths one of them being my subject G-AJHS.  Both were experienced pilots, one an airline pilot, the other an instructor but this made my eyes pop:

jlEE0v.jpg

I'm missing something here, Max...So there's lot's of experience, but a huge discrepancy/magnitude of experience. But one's significantly older. So what's the point? Globs of experience in my experience is not necessarily a good thing...at least that's my experience!

I'm missing something here, Max...So there's lot's of experience, but a huge discrepancy/magnitude of experience. But one's significantly older. So what's the point? Globs of experience in my experience is not necessarily a good thing...at least that's my experience!

Globs of crass stupidity I'd say Shaka! It could so easily have been a fatal accident instead of just damage to fabric and wood!

I've been doing more work on the Tiffy but while waiting for paint to fully cure I've completed the bits comprising the empennage:

q6NK1e.jpg

Next I'll be moving on to this area:

0EA0qd.jpg

The little dio that I'm planning will have the baggage cover open ready for the couple going off for the weekend to stow their luggage, but there's also a small correction to be made to the kit on the aft edge of the rear cockpit:

4LnBSh.jpg

where towards the top of the diagonal edge there should be a right-angled corner, visible in the shot above of the Moth under restoration.  There's another small but important mod. in that area too but I'll explain that when I come onto it.

I've also changed my mind about which Tiger Moth I'm going to finish it as, it's now this one:

9EXTSK.jpg

operated by Scottish Aviation then latterly 12 EFTS.  Full history:

G-ADVZ DH.82A Tiger Moth 3443 G-ADVZ BB796 G-ADVZ LN-BDL Scottish College of Aviation Ltd/Prestwick 09.12.35 6425 Impressed 12.10.40 restored 28.5.54 Sold Norway 9.54

Max 

Edited by mozart

It's an orange fuselage Brian with silver wings with the registration letters in orange, though I might take a few liberties and, for instance foil the nose section - that was one of the points that attracted me to G-AJHS. The detraction from AJHS was the ugly anti-spin strakes, they completely spoil the Tiger's beautiful lines and were only fitted originally in the 1930s when they experimented with fitting bomb racks!!!

It's an orange fuselage Brian with silver wings with the registration letters in orange - that was one of the points that attracted me to G-AJHS. The detraction from AJHS was the ugly anti-spin strakes, they completely spoil the Tiger's beautiful lines and were only fitted originally in the 1930s when they experimented with fitting bomb racks!!!

Neat!

though I might take a few liberties and, for instance foil the nose section

You know thats what I'd do

Edited by Out2gtcha

• 4 weeks later...

At last a bit of bench time!  Working on the cockpit of the Tiger Moth and the baggage compartment.  I cut out the baggage cover (which doesn't extend to the fuselage centre line as shown on the kit), I'll be showing this in the open position, a couple of options here.  This afternoon I added the rear bulkhead and base of the baggage compartment then cut out the slots behind the crew positions.  The Sutton harnesses are attached via an athwartship wire running just behind these slots:

4TQ1rm.jpg

JqX7K2.jpg