Huey Helicopter/ ITS DONE/FINISHED YEEEAAAHHH!!!!

shark64

:lol: :blink: :blink:

This is...... sorry it took my breath away. THIS is modelling!!!! TOP!!!

Could you please say something about the brass parts?

Self made? What material? Thikness of brassplates etc?

I am interested in, because I have to do some detailling and reconstruction on my YF-14A in 32nd scale, and not sure yet what material to use. (Plasticsheet or Brass)

Thanks for the nice words. All the parts you see are handmade. As far as brass goes and what I am using: I use brass sheets in various thickness depending on what I need to make (.001-.003-.004). I do not use anything thicker than 0.010. I also use an assortment of brass rods and tubing also in various thickness. If I have to bend the brass I usually put in under a flame untill it goes bright red and cool it off with water. It anneals the brass...easier to bend. I oredr my brass from K&s in chicago, I am sure that any train shop or RC model shop carry some or a catalogue for it.

detailing with brass is a lot of fun and frustrating as well. your patience will be tested. I do not how much detailing or recontrusting you are planning to do but I would try to work with styrene first then reproduce in brass. You can always work from blueprints and scale up or down. You may have to carve in wood also in order to get the shape. Are you planning to use a soldering gun? If so nothing smaller tham 100 watts.

Keep posted and do not hesitate to write if you have questions, I will try to answer then if I can.

Oliver

Hi Gentlemen,

I finally bought a new camera today with the right lens to take better photos. The other one was 5 years old. I have taken a few photos to try out my new macro lens. So here we go, the first tight photos of the Huey cockpit.

Oliver

huey338.jpg

huey344.jpg

huey343.jpg

huey341.jpg

Hi Barry.

I agree about the challenge of learning. As as the Huey goes, I love that helicopter. It is such an important machine in the History of US Aviation. I do fly helicopters as a hobby but I am yet to fly a Huey.

I ll keep the photos going,

Oliver

How are you accomplishing the riveting on the brass sheet?

Barry

Did you start a separate thread on the Huey with photos of the cockpit area?

More GREAT Work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry

Hi Barry,

I just saw you question about the riveting.

Once my brass plate is done and fits on the helicopter tight, I take the brass plate and turn it over because I want to the rivets to stick out. I draw the lines with a sharpie where the rivets will go. I tape the brass plate to a hard surface (not wood)and use a metal ruler taped a both ends so it doesnt move while I do the riveting. I run the pounce whell only once(make sure you push hard enough). It is time consuming. Youve got to make sure everyything is tape well. There is no room for mistake with the pounce wheel.

Yes I did start a new thread on the cockpit.

Oliver

Hi Oliver, welcome to LSP!

This is a great build of the Huey. Your scratchbuilding skills are definitely first rate... and much of it in brass! It's great to see that you've settled right into the Member Builds forum... ;) I have a feeling you'll fit right in with all of the great builds we have going on here. ;)

I've merged the two topics into a single topic so it's easier to find, and I've also moved it into the Member Builds area as it fits in better here. Now, let's see more of that great work! ;)

-randy

Hi Oliver, welcome to LSP!

This is a great build of the Huey. Your scratchbuilding skills are definitely first rate... and much of it in brass! It's great to see that you've settled right into the Member Builds forum... ;) I have a feeling you'll fit right in with all of the great builds we have going on here. ;)

I've merged the two topics into a single topic so it's easier to find, and I've also moved it into the Member Builds area as it fits in better here. Now, let's see more of that great work! ;)

-randy

Hi Randy.

Thanks for the kind words on my scratchbuilding on the Huey.

I just wrote you an e-mail regarding my Mi-4 Hound. As far as the Huey goes being not really familiar with your site yet and the feedback process it does make sense to be in the member build (I guess). Was it wrong to post it where I have been posting it ? How heavy is the traffic in "members build"?

Oliver

Oliver, Glad to see you made it here! You may remember my Fok. DVII, in 1/28th scale. Hopefully, we'll see you again this year, at the IPMS show, down here. I have one of these Hueys in the queue, so I'll enjoy seeing this come together.

Cheers,Mike

Oliver, Glad to see you made it here! You may remember my Fok. DVII, in 1/28th scale. Hopefully, we'll see you again this year, at the IPMS show, down here. I have one of these Hueys in the queue, so I'll enjoy seeing this come together.

Cheers,Mike

Mike,

I do remember your Fok. DVII very well. I am afraid that I may not be done with the Huey for IPMS San Diego this year. I was hoping to be done for Ohio IPMS. There is so much more to be done on the Huey.

Are you going to Pasadena ValleyCon this year ?

Oliver