Hasegawa F6F-3/5 Hellcat...

Shaka HI

Guest Peterpools

Shaka

So glad you are feeling better and some nice progress on the Hellcat. I pointed my brother towards Bond a number of years ago and am quite fond of it for my general filling work. I've found it is a bit on the porous side but after a final wet sanding and MIg Primer, I haven't found the need to seal it any further.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Shaka,  I missed the health issues as well, but glad to hear you are doing better.  Whew!  Following along on your build - the 1/32nd Wildcat is of interest, but not sure about this particular kit.  But I'm eagerly following along.

Hang in there!

Chris

I like the progress i'm seeing so far.

One thing i'm not sure if you want to fix, or not, but those round circles on the flap undersides shouldn't be recessed like that; they should be flush. I realize that filling these in will affect the fabric detailing on the flaps, but this too is overdone for a 32nd scale model.

Compared to the Trumpeter F6F kit, the Hasegawa is clearly superior in the shapes department, but given its age its a case of building the lesser of two evils. I still hold out hope that Hasegawa will revisit this subject and issue an all new kit of the legendary but definitely underappreciated Hellcat.

-d-

I was curious about those round circles on the movable control surfaces...because I don't see them in actual picts of this AC. But I'll just leave them be. I'm not happy with the short cuts I took with the kit and will focus more on the painting/weathering of this model. I'll be doing some new techniques!

I've noticed I do better when I feel like I've got nothing to lose and I suppose that's life!

Hey Shaka, sorry to (belatedly) read about yours woes - wishing you a very speedy recovery my good man.

I've had almost nonexistent sense of smell since the age of twelve. I lost it when I had my nose fully rebuilt by a surgeon after losing an argument with a fast moving cricket ball that caved the poor thing in somewhat. I miss smelling roses the most.

Torben

Ouch Torben! You have my sympathies. My sense of taste and smell is returning, but I'm curious about why it's taking so long and if I will ever fully get it back?

Anyway..minor work this evening. I did paint the engine (not quite visible) and did work on the gun openings using the a method learned on these forums (not quite round, so drill and insert plastic tubing/sand when dry)!

n5wtRNW.jpg

Primer tooomorooow, hopefully ! Lot's of seam correction completed!

Since it will be a "-5", I'll try do some filtering as I've done on the P-40! (Along with Oil-dot, Salt chipping and who the heck knows?!?!)

(EDIT: Ordered some brass gun barrels for it as well..I wished I took the time to drop the elavators and ailerons, at least...)

FjMykIe.jpg

Edited by Shaka HI