Tamiya Spitfire Mk.XVIe, First Spitfire build for me.

Hello all!! happy New Years!!  I'd like to join the GB with the Tamiya Spitfire Mk.XVIe. In all my 40 years of model building i've never built a Spitfire. Never really did anything British though i have some in the stash. I like the looks of the late mark Spitfires, especially the bubble canopy versions. One that i would really like to see is the Mk.22/24 versions. My builds never have open panels, i think this one will be an exception, i also plan on using aftermarket in this build. I'll be going to the not so local hobby shop tomorrow and see what they have, might have to do online ordering as well.

IMG_4563_zpsuwajbj27.jpg

Don

I have to say, these Tamiya superkits are intimidating when you open the box. Last few builds have been pretty simple kits, i have to start building the Tamiya  kits if i want to start clearing the stash and have something different in the display case. Should be a fun GB and great way to pass the winter months. Thanks for the welcome!!

Don

Hello all!! happy New Years!! ..

Hi Don, and happy New Year to you too.

... In all my 40 years of model building i've never built a Spitfire...

Welcome to the wonderful world of RJ Mitchell's finest.

Looking forward to seeing this, I have a particular soft spot for the low-back versions.

Looking forward to seeing this, I have a particular soft spot for the low-back versions.

Me too! They just look a lot sleeker and faster, sports model like. Visited the LHS today and came away with some aftermarket. I'm particularly happy with the Kagero book as it includes decals for Canadian birds, also Polish and French birds.

IMG_4564_zpsd3jxb9zb.jpg

IMG_4565_zpsdeeatbmt.jpg

IMG_4566_zpsvfswclyt.jpg

Couldn't find a seat there, will have to go online. All pics i've seen show padding on the seat.... HOW COULD TAMIYA MISS THAT!!

Don

Hi Don, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this kit.

Interesting that the Tamiya seat looks different. Do you have any images of the kit part please?

Also, any chance of a peek at the Kagero profiles for the other schemes if you get a chance please?

Cheers

The kit has no padding or other details.

IMG_4567_zpshlittjkn.jpg

profile pics

IMG_4569_zpswbqpcszf.jpg

IMG_4570_zpso6b3xlc0.jpg

IMG_4571_zpsyphvam4n.jpg

IMG_4572_zpsyxinwaew.jpg

More

IMG_4573_zpskdbqadmv.jpg

IMG_4574_zpswlk0k07c.jpg

IMG_4575_zpskcqhe9t4.jpg

IMG_4576_zpspfzvltsp.jpg

One progress pic

IMG_4577_zps4sm665q8.jpg

Gotta start somewhere. Seriously, will do something this weekend. i still have some stuff coming, want to make sure when i start i can finish any subassembly without waiting for something. I should be able to start on the wing tomorrow.

Don

Hey, progress is progress right? ^_^

Thanks for taking the time to post the seat and profile images Don, very informative.

I've just bought one of these off E-Bay and I'm waiting for it to arrive so I've been searching for a suitable subject.

There are a number of cool looking airframes in the Kagero list so I may have to track a copy of the book down.

Much appreciated and I look forward to even more progress before long. :innocent:

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

I like the Canadian schemes, especially the one for 443 SQ. Hornet emblem on nose, spiral on the spinner, who can resist!! Don't think i ever saw a spiral on any Allied scheme.

IMG_4571_zpsyphvam4n.jpg

Made some real progress, worked on the wings yesterday. Glued in all the covers, bulges and gear bay parts. Good and bad results, good fit but made i think a mistake. I added the bulges to clear the gear/wheels, problem is they are for a late bird. The Kagero profile pics for this bird show the bulges in place, i have a bad feeling they're wrong. Pics i can find of the era show just the bulges to clear the cannon. Removing these is out of the question, i glued them really well...darn. I need to pay attention to the instructions better. I also need to make a decision on bombs and drop tank, more features but they take away from the sleek appearance.

IMG_4578_zpsq8cbc6vw.jpg

Don

That's a great choice Don. It certainly caught my eye when you posted the profiles but they all look good.

Sorry to read about the wing bulge issue. How thick is the plastic? (probably not very knowing Tamiya's reputation for fidelity).

Any chance of sanding them flat?

Hope you get around the problem so that you can continue with your chosen scheme. (If it were me I think I'd take the coward's way out and just press on with the bulges in place. I mean, who's gonna know, right?)

Cheers.

Hope you get around the problem so that you can continue with your chosen scheme. (If it were me I think I'd take the coward's way out and just press on with the bulges in place. I mean, who's gonna know, right?)

Cheers.

Sanding isn't an option, trust me they are glued really well and i don't have confidence i'll be able to restore lost detail. Coward's way out is the way i'll go on the build. (note to self, BE CAREFUL, DUMMY!!!)

Don