Not another Mustang!

As much as I hate the Trumpeter 'B/C', I'm inspired by yours.  You've managed to turn a sow's ear into a work of art.  A real beauty indeed.  I'm in aw. (jaw dropping) And it's not even finished yet!  Take this as an advanced compliment on the finished product.  Love the B/C.  That's why I'm here looking.  Very easy looking I might add.

Hi Guys,

Another day at the coal face!

This morning I ran some Mig Blue Dirt panel line wash into the hatch gaps and trim tab lines.  I thought Black would be too stark for a new aircraft, which is why I also didn't do any washes of rivets or normal panel lines, relying on normal shadows and the differences between the metallic colours of the panels to do that for me.  I'm a believer in "Less is More", in real life you won't see individual rivets at 32 feet away, which is having your nose practically on the model wing tip in scale!

This afternoon it was assemble the undercarriage and tyres and hang them under the wing, after having forgotten to paint the inside  door faces! So that put me back a while.  Plus I added the radiator door and ram, the flaps, ailerons, guns and gun/ammo bay covers.  I sprayed the prop tips yellow, something else I'd totally forgotten and they will get decals tomorrow.  Then its assemble the prop blades to the spinner, aerials and Pitot tube, odds'n'sods.  final bits to go on will be the wingtip nav lights in their new positions.

Here's a bit of undercart:

29052692808_acbbaeb3dd_c.jpgNearly there by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Crappy photo of the radiator outlet and the tailwheel.  Doors still not fitted!

29052692838_295598c121_c.jpgNearly there by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Port wing looking like Joseph's Technicolor Dream Coat in umpteen shades of metal:

42023913225_77cbc4aee8_c.jpgNearly there by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

I can see the finish line!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

Well, its 99.999% done!  One small mishap yesterday that I'd spotted after I'd taken the photos and just before I went to the local model meeting, one of the nav lights fell off and it's gone into the maw of the carpet monster.  So a tiny bit more work to do today.

I didn't do much in the way of washes or weathering.  This is meant to represent a C on a test flight at the Dallas plant, so I've put a Ammo Blue Grey PLW in service hatches and engine panel lines but nowhere else, relying on the shadows in the panel joints and rivets to show.  Black would be far to high a contrast.  At one foot away from the model you're a scale 32 feet away and you aren't going to see rivets or panel lines unless the aircraft is about to be scrapped! What I didn't want was the "Painted Lady" effect so prominent in the Spanish school of modelling, where every single rivet, divot, lump and bump is highlighted, shaded or generally messed about with. Worked on real aircraft long enough to know it's rubbish, thank you very much.  Good for magazine and book articles and selling shed loads of paint, but realistic? In a pig's ear!

Taking the photos, all I did was cleared a space in the spray area, so nothing fancy.  I'll do some proper stuff for the RFI section some time this week, also put up the Revell Mustang D. their 262 and four Hasegawa Fw-190D models that I've finished in the last year. 

And here you can see the stbd upper nav light in place!

42225172144_1bbaac2b9a_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

42225171964_74b8ca8104_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

42225166484_b982040d6e_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

28070254437_3c13c4c5ed_c.jpgEndGame by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

29066541428_5629556198_c.jpgEndGame by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

41128699600_7267c8d7da_c.jpgEndGame by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Hope it's acceptable.  

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Edited by Bruce_Crosby