Kitty Hawk T-28C "Warbird"

Eraucubsfan

Gents-

After my wife decided I needed to get back in to building (or dorking as she likes to call it), we went to Hobby Town.  After picking up the Kitty Hawk T-28C, she insisted I buy it.  I have been out of the hobby for more than a year.  We downsized apartments and I got rid of most of my supplies.  Our apartment does  have computer nook, which she has allowed me to set up a new "workshop".  However, I can't airbrush, so most things will be hand painted.  

I decided to do this as a restored Warbird T-28, so I'm not striving for 100% authenticity, this works cause the decals are for Warbirds.

Just a few pics to get started.  Here is the cockpit mostly assembled.  I did use the decals for the instrument panels. They look great, but I wish they would have left them with a clear background, allowing us to match the grey a lot closer.  The seat belts are the kit parts but I used bandage tape for the fabric.  It works pretty well. Sorry for the quality of the pics, they are taken with my phone.  

VrG3y7xh.jpg

You'll notice that the front seat has no belts, I am planning on placing a pilot in there.

RBGthgmh.jpg?1

Good luck on this project! I'm At the decaling stage now and it has been a grind, but despite my inadequacies, is looking good.

Since my goal is a decent representation of the plane I flew for my initial carrier qualification, I having to make my own decals (tiger mouth/eye) and conjure up the correct numbers/letters.

Good luck on this project! I'm At the decaling stage now and it has been a grind, but despite my inadequacies, is looking good.

Since my goal is a decent representation of the plane I flew for my initial carrier qualification, I having to make my own decals (tiger mouth/eye) and conjure up the correct numbers/letters.

Thanks man, I wish they had better decals for it, including the ones your talking about. 

Cool ! we like pilots  :popcorn:

I think it adds a sense of real life to the kit, plus keeps me from having to do belts LOL

Looking good so far!

Welcome.

I have several build threads up on these with more than a few tips if you're in the slightest bit interested. The kit builds nice. Any issues, feel free to drop me a line.

Ernie

Thanks Ernie, I have read through your build threads and I hope mine turns out half as good as yours.  I appreciate you posting them and I have taken copious notes  :thumbsup:

sharp looking cockpit. Small co2 tank doesn't take that much room to airbrush with and its really quiet, that might be your answer to start airbrushing again.

oliver

Thanks Oliver, your MH-60 is unbelievable, I wish I could paint like that, especially the pilots.  Unfortunately it's not just size and volume, the main concern is ventilation and being in close proximity to the wife.  

• 3 weeks later...

A few updates, progress is slow.  As for the scheme, I'm thinking the all yellow one. 

Then engine looks good once it's painted and assembled. 

z8FQOxIl.jpg

Finished up the accessory section.  Added some wiring and hoses to make it look "busier" 

JBrdSMXl.jpg

RVH6T7Xl.jpg

1EgwRVil.jpg

thanks for looking 

Go Cubs!

That engine set up looks grand!  Nice job.   As to just a couple of the minor niggles this kit has two of them are in this area, both fairly minor IMHO.............

- The prop shaft is substantially too long. A small cut piece of brass/aluminum/plastic tubing takes care of that.

- The gear reduction housing on the front of the engine and the governor that hangs down does impede ones ability to mask and paint the inner lip of the cowl. It hangs down right above the inner lip of the cowl, and can really get in the way in the paint stage. I see you have attached it, but I did as well in my build, but found it broke off the engine housing fairly easily.

For those who have built this kit, how did you paint the black exhaust "panels" on the sides? Is there a template for masking etc?

IIRC I thought the KHM kit came with the decal panels.

I'll check my kit unless someone else can confirm