Thor vs. The Trojan...tackling the Kitty Hawk T-28

bdthoresen

John, thanks again so much for your help on the spare decals. You, sir, are a life saver!

Well, that is the problem Peter....the Luscombe went through over 600 known production changes during the years of 1939 to 1950. Couple that with an airframe that has an extremely complex set of shapes, and it is not an easy kit to pattern. But I will visit it a little closer to time, when i can pick up the pattern making again.

More to follow this weekend- Thanks All!

THOR    :ninja:

Firstly, well this is looking extremely interesting. Great work on a very cool subject and even one of my drum teachers, Peter Luscombe, gets a mention. ;)

2nd, I'll certainly be following this one. 

:goodjob:  :goodjob:  :goodjob:  :goodjob:  :goodjob:

Edited by mpk

One other thing I'll mention, Thor, is to make sure the gearbox is well and truly on the engine in it's correct spot. The ring behind it has a tendency to spring up and make the gearbox stand proud. It's not really apparent until you try to put the cowl on and find the mags and accessories are hitting the cowl lip....

Make sure you squish it down to avoid making up new words like I did.

Id might also suggest leaving that same gearbox off until AFTER you glue the multi part cowl on. It's just much, MUCH easier to mask off the engine area when your ready for exterior paint

Firstly, well this is looking extremely interesting. Great work on a very cool subject and even one of my drum teachers, Peter Luscombe, gets a mention. ;)

2nd, I'll certainly be following this one. 

:goodjob:  :goodjob:  :goodjob:  :goodjob:  :goodjob:

Thanks Dale- Appreciate the support, mate!

One other thing I'll mention, Thor, is to make sure the gearbox is well and truly on the engine in it's correct spot.  The ring behind it has a tendency to spring up and make the gearbox stand proud. It's not really apparent until you try to put the cowl on and find the mags and accessories are hitting the cowl lip....

Make sure you squish it down to avoid making up new words like I did.

Howdy Clunk- I ran into this when I was actually building the engine, I noticed that the pushrod and ignition harness rings were a bit tight on the crankcase, causing them to not want to sit where they were supposed to. I ended up sanding out the inner diameter of the rings to get them to sit properly, and clamping them in place while they dried. Seemed to work a bit better-

Id might also suggest leaving that same gearbox off until AFTER you glue the multi part cowl on. It's just much, MUCH easier to mask off the engine area when your ready for exterior paint

Hey Bri- I noticed that on multiple builds here that is could cause a headache in that regard. SO I have not glued it yet, it was only sitting on there for pictures. Thanks for dropping in.....

I am currently working on the throttles, mixtures, prop levers, flap switches, and canopy levers at the moment. I also am working on my own harnesses as well. Am hoping to get all this stuff painted up today so I can get the cockpit finished up. After that, need to dry brush the exhausts a bit, and add a bit of weathering to it all before I close up the fuselage halves. I need to get this thing moving, so I can concentrate on finishing up the CH-53E as well.

Thanks all for looking in!

THOR    :ninja:

Edited by bdthoresen