P-51D 'Nooky-Booky IV'

ruzlkampf

Aaaaaah well, I can fail any number of times.....only need to get it right once, eh?! heh heh. Different view;

post-4413-1262364173.jpg

Hmmmm, that's too far away, a bit closer. Yep, still doesn't look quite right. sigh.

post-4413-1262364224.jpg

Drat and confuscate this discerningly difficult contour. These views don't look tooo bad, but it's back to the elves for whipping and re-whittling. Going out to the desert for an evening of 'getting outta town' for awhile now that the holiday hub-bub has subsided, so I'll blabber at ya'll when I get back. Happy New Year everyone! :thumbsup: later, Russ

post-4413-1262364446.jpg

post-4413-1262364465.jpg

Alright, I've done a bit more contouring on my cowling....got some aluminum stubs for exhausts, made some changes in the cockpit, and got my tail-feathers filled in. Guess I'll start with a cockpit update. Made the radio area look a little 'busier looking' (scale looking, I dunno? :speak_cool: ), and added the head armor and K-14 gunsight from a Dragon kit.

post-4413-1262469489.jpg

Lemmee step back a bit and include the new nose contours and exhaust stubs. Hmmmmm, it's getting closer to what I have envisioned. ^_^

post-4413-1262469623.jpg

Time to start gluing things together and getting a primer coat on this in preparation for a NMF. Not sure how I'm going to do that yet, guess I'll just wing it? :speak_cool: Found out it's MUCH easier to get those nose contours zeroed in with the cowling in place. Makes it a lot easier to judge the lines. More pics as things progress! Later, Russ

post-4413-1262470353.jpg

Hi Russ

The cowling things really turn out of the right shape!

but an other point should be to be careful with the wing dihedral as the Hasegawa is a bit less than it must be...

Raphael

Hi Russ,

Who let that mad man back into the house? :goodjob: (Happy New Year to you :D). As usual, very much a 'Rusville' production going on here, and who knows where it will all end up? (It will be an interesting journey though :thumbsup:). I am guessing that this is the Hasegawa kit you are recrafting? (I like the detail extras, especially the pilot figure). I shall stay tuned and hurl abuse/encouragement/advice as required ;) .

Cheers

Derek

Gaaaaaahhhh! Galdurnit Raphael, that is one thing I didn't want to hear! :wacko: Stopped my little dog 'n pony show in mid-twirl dude. ;) I dunno though, I really can't see where the dihedral is off on this kit.....and I've been squinting at it with my tongue outta the side of my mouth pretty closely. Hmmmmm, I included some pics at the end of this thread so I can incite a riot over what everybody thinks. I can hack this into a bit more upsweep on those wings, but it's sooooo close to what I think it should be........dunno. Hmmm, have to ponder on this for a spell. :P

Bahahahahaha! Happy New Year to you also Derek! :mental: You go right ahead and blast away buddy, I've got the hide of a rhino.....a brain the size of a pea,....the placidity of Buddha, and I'll be chattering away like the village idiot so you'll probably think I'm ignoring you anyway?! :P :m0152:

Where wuz I, and what was the question? Yes, the P-51....so I was just getting ready to spray this with a primer coat after getting all the seams on the wings and scribing some engine panel lines. I've been robbing a Dragon kit for parts, as it will become an air racer in the future and won't need what I'm swapping. Using the pylons, shackles, and 110gal. tanks (after I removed most of the raised detail on em) in lieu of the Hasegawa parts. Kit parts were shaped smoother, but I liked the Dragon tanks fuel filler detail. Here's the wings ready to go together,....if I don't have to do more work for the dihedral. Also, the fabric on the elevators has been filled.

post-4413-1262551215.jpg

What I'm going to use for a cockpit. Not much, but the pilot obscures most of what's visible anyway. Honed the cowling down a bit more, and it's about where it's going to be. Should be easier to discern the lines after primer. Filled the fabric on the rudder cuz it was a bit overdone.

post-4413-1262551543.jpg

Oh yeah....., that cowling is looking much better now. More of a profile view. I can't hang with this kit canopy, and I want a clear rear-view mirror blister on top....so looks like this will end up a master for a new vacuformed version. Lotsa fun, whoohoo!

post-4413-1262551885.jpg