VMFA-334 F-4J Phantom II Falcons DaNang 1968 (finished)

My father served in country from 1969-1970 in Saigon as a supply officer-- he did his shooting on Saipan as a grunt in WW2 (Purple Heart) and in Korea commanding a Patton tank. So this build is in loving, respectful and often aggravated memory of Lt. Col. William E. Cross, Jr. USMC (ret). While not a flyer, I'm sure he saw plenty of Mud Movers overhead. And he used to tell me stories about driving through the jungles after an Arc Light raid (you could smell the death, but there was nothing to see). That's the flip side of cool planes: dead people on the ground. The Falcons flew out of Danang in 1968, close enough to when my pop was over there.

I'm working with the Tamiya Navy base kit which has air-to-air ordnance:

1. Quickboost seats (I may opt for the Aires pit if this doesn't pan out)
  2. DMold intakes & burner cans
  3. Eduard interior PE, Brassin resin wheels and masks
  4. Nautilus wooden jig for angling the wings
  5. CAM decals for VMFA-334 Da Nang Air Base 1968
  6. Zoukei-Mura US Aircraft Weapons set (like I said, this one's a Marine Corps Mud Mover)
  7. I have the HobbyDecal panel numbers on order, but who knows if they'll make it in time?

Did I leave anything out?

IMG_34053.JPG

Edited by Bill Cross

...and as for leaving anything out...where's the kitchen sink?? :D

Thanks, Mike, you know me well.

What's that Grateful Dead lyric: "too much of everything is just enough." :punk:

Edited by Bill Cross

Way to go Bill. Another Phantom!!! We're gona need a bigger ramp!

Thanks, Paul. For me, this is THE iconic US aircraft of the war, both for fighter and fighter-bomber missions.

Welcome BIll! Very glad to have you and your F-4 Aboard!  Now the fun begins for you!  I wish you the best on your build and please keep us updated with pics and stories of how its going.  :) It's a great kit and you have some cool aftermarket to dress it up. I'll add your name and project to the Who's Building What list.

All the best,

Paul 

Guest Peterpools

Bill

Looking forward to following your progress ... absolutely going to be first class.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Welcome BIll! Very glad to have you and your F-4 Aboard!  Now the fun begins for you!  I wish you the best on your build and please keep us updated with pics and stories of how its going.  :) It's a great kit and you have some cool aftermarket to dress it up. I'll add your name and project to the Who's Building What list.

Thanks, Paul. I am going on the road for three weeks shortly, so I don't know if I will get very far before next month, but will try!

I'm anxious to see some pics, Bill!

Will do, I hope to go through the instructions tomorrow and highlight where the PE goes.

Alright Bill 1 Another Phantom guy. Can't wait to see how far ahead of me you get !.........Harv :popcorn:

Not likely, Harv, I have to go on the road and likely won't get very far before June, but I wanted to "declare my candidacy" before I left.

Bill curious why you listed the Steal Beach slime lights? They weren't around back then.

Slime lights? We don't need no stinkin' slime lights.

:whistle:

Seriously, I'm a WW2 Axis armor guy, I just play a jet head on TV. I sees an AM goody and I snatches it up. I didn't know about the slime lights being a later add-on, so they will not be used. And I have deleted the slime lights from all but the intro photo, and will be relying on you serious Phantom Phanatics to keep me in line here.

Edited by Bill Cross

• 2 weeks later...