[Complete] 1/144 USS Chevalier (DD-451)

ChuckD

Hi, guys.  For Christmas last year, I bought myself the Revell of Germany 1/144 USS Fletcher kit, platinum edition.  The platinum edition comes with 3 huge sheets of photo etch and a ton of turned brass parts.  I also added the Eduard PE railing set too.  After 6 months of more or less constant work, she is finished.  And, while not perfect, I'm very happy with how she turned out - especially for my first attempt at a ship. 

The imgur album has some additional info and comments, though all the photos are posted below.

XqMeVXV.jpg

QPHRfos.jpg

bdZ9RsA.jpg

Ntf2j9i.jpg

IP6157z.jpg

CRg4cYR.jpg

oOACDCq.jpg

3e8ZCyi.jpg

iBIVbVw.jpg

VOPZRDJ.jpg

Edited by Gewehr 43

Very nice job indeed. I wasn't even aware of the platinum edition until recently, but I do have the plain version sitting in the stash. I've always considered the Fletcher class to be the most aesthetically pleasing destroyer class of all time.

Did you make the blast bags for the main guns yourself, or were they provided in the platinum edition?

If by blast bags, you mean the canvas around the gun barrels (sorry, my naval terminology isn't all that great), then I sculpted them from ApoxieSculpt. It was fairly painless and only took a few hours. I've since heard that you can achieve better results by building up white glue, but I haven't looked into that method much yet.

If by blast bags, you mean the canvas around the gun barrels (sorry, my naval terminology isn't all that great), then I sculpted them from ApoxieSculpt. It was fairly painless and only took a few hours. I've since heard that you can achieve better results by building up white glue, but I haven't looked into that method much yet.

Yep, blast bags or bloomers are what they're generally referred to as. Yours look good. Once I resume work on my 1:32 16" gun turret, I'll be sculpting the bloomers myself too.

Thanks guys. It was a hell of a slog for a while. I felt like I was endlessly building for months and months and months. Then, after amassing a huge pile of painted subassemblies, *poof* a ship materialized.

In contrast - and as something of a palette cleanser - I just ripped thru the entire build of Tamiya's BT-7 tank in ~5 hours.  :)