Piper PA-20 Pacer

RacerDave

I've crunched the numbers and I believe this one fits the GB. Admins feel free to move it if not.

I'm starting with the 1957 release Monogram Tri-Pacer and eventually I'd like to end up with a reasonable representation of my friend's 1:1 PA-20 Pacer. He generously flew me up to the aviation mecca, Oshkosh, two weeks ago and I want to build this to thank him.

Monogram didnt provide a scale but measuring the wingspan and doing the math its right about 1:33rd scale ...I hope thats close enough for you guys? I've just started cleaning up the parts and dry fitting, so far I'm fairly impressed with the fit of this 55yr old kit. Scratch built things to do include converting from nose dragger to tail dragger, fabricating wheel pants, and other misc details. This will be a fairly quick build. I'm not going hog wild on the details, I just need it to look the part ...and I'm using this to get in some painting practice before I tackle the MC72, but my friend doesnt need to know that! :whistle:

His plane:

101_1370.jpg

The kit: (with future projects lurking in the back!)

101_2002.jpg

...and just for giggles!

101_2004.jpg

Edited by RacerDave

Excellent - have this kit in the stash - looking forward to seeing this come together! :)

GA stuff soooo under-represented in scale form unfortunately...

And as to Oshkosh - I'm *veeeeeery* jealous! Maybe one day I'll get over there.

Iain

I think everyone needs to visit Oshkosh at least once! The only problem is it becomes an annual trip, I've been going consistantly for the last 18yrs!

Lots of progress so far, just not too much is photogenic. So far this has been a very straight forward kit and I am still impressed with the detailing and fit (for the most part) of this kit for its age. I've glued the doors shut and started filling the gigantic gaps, prepped most of the parts, and started assembling small units, engine, wings, etc. Painting starts tomorrow!

101_2007.jpg

Just a quick update. Instrument panel is progressing nicely. No real problems yet but the lower cowling is going to be a chore. I see lots of superglue filler in my near future!

101_2009.jpg

101_2013.jpg

...and one more for fun! I quite like this little plane, I might have to get one for myself too!

101_2016.jpg

Edited by RacerDave

...I also like the box.wonderful art work, and did not realize nor knew that Zoukei Mura were making some inspiring kits all those years back.

Learn something new every day dont you? lol

I've got the cowling mostly sorted out today, just need to build a new carb intake. The landing gear legs needed revising, nothing too troublesome. and I've finished the instrument panel, just a couple drops of future on the lenses and It will be ready to go! The rest of the interior is also ready to drop in, just need to finish up the windows in the morning.

Thanks for watching guys, I really appreciate your support!

101_2017.jpg

101_2020.jpg

101_2022.jpg

101_2025.jpg

Edited by RacerDave

Just a quick one before I run off to another airshow! I managed to get the interior finished and the fuselage sealed up. I'll stick the windscreen on before I leave so that it can harden up without me fussing with it. I'm not very happy with my glue job on the side windows, I'll have to pay closer attention and do a better job next time. Another difference can be seen, Tri-pacers have straight edge five sided rear windows, Pacers have rounded windows. Also it seems most later models have a different style side window with hinges. The one I am replicating has two sliding panels on each side, I've made them both open. With the high wing you will not be able to see much of the interior, perhaps that is a good thing as I've left the detailing quite bland. The only things I've done inside are fill in the backs of the front seats so they arent dished, reshaped and scratch made most of the instrument panel, reshaped and replaced all of the side windows. Now its on to the exterior conversion and detailing, let the fun begin!

101_2042.jpg

101_2044.jpg

101_2051.jpg

101_2053.jpg

101_2055.jpg

I need a little tech support on this one guys. I made up a blob of Apoxie putty then sanded it down into something resembling the wheel pants that I need. That actually worked a lot better than expected. The problem is that I'm not sure how to proceed from here. I can either cast the part in resin then hog out the bottom to fit the tire or I can try smash molding some sheet plastic over it. I've never done that before, would I need to seal the Apoxie with anything? Couple dozen coats of future?

101_2073.jpg

101_2074.jpg

Guest Peterpools

WOW. A Piper Pacer. Sure brings back the memories. I learned to fly and soled at Zahns Airport, Amityville NY in 1965 in a J3 Cub. I eventually bought one of Amityville Flying Services Piper Colts PA22-108 N5544Z and flew her for many happy hours. The Piper progression went from the Pacer, to the Tri Pacer and then Colt; the two seat version with a108HP Lycoming Engine. One sweet airplane. Of course, the Colt had no flaps and you always carried power to prevent 'dropping like a rock'.

Enjoying the build and some mighty fine work.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Dave

Just one small item that needs to be added, as it it is prominent feature of the entire line: the cross brace frame in front of the windshield. After a while, you forget they are there but unconsciously are always looking around them.

Peter