Finished !!! 1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest Mk.V

Tolga ULGUR

Here is my new starting.

This is 1/32 Special Hobby Hawker Tempest Mk.Vb . This will be finished as Hawker Tempest Mk.V SN222/JF-E "Le Grand Charles", No.3 squadron, Fassberg,late April / early May 1945.

Barracudacst Tempest Mk.V nose correction set and Yahu instrument panel will be used in this built.

01.JPG

02.JPG

05.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

06.jpg

Edited by Tolga ULGUR

Here is the company s explanation about Barracudacast correction set:

"The problem with the kit nose is that the spinner baseplate diameter is too big by about 2 inches. This throws out the taper of the forward cowling. The radiator opening is also too big. This causes problems with the shape of the radiator housing. The spinner also has some shape issues, which we have fixed with an all new spinner. The kit prop blades have also been replaced by a more accurate set. The new nose is cast in one piece for ease of installation, and the fine riveted surface detail has been replicated (no easy task!). Our reference came from the highly respected Arthur Bentley Tempest drawings, as well as measurements from original Hawker drawings of the Tempest V nose and spinner. Set also includes a prop alignment jig and full color, illustrated instructions. A real improvement to the accuracy of an otherwise great kit"

32334%20Tempest%20V%20nose%20web%20image

Following this with interest, as I have the same kit in my stash.

How much of an improvement is the Barracudacast nose correction vs kit parts?

Tolga : did you get the updated update on the Tempest nose or did you buy the corrected nose recently?  Not trying to be funny, I have this kit as well and ordered the Barracuda corrected nose last year and was sent the package you showed above.  Almost immediately, maybe a week later, I received a small white box with a NEW corrected nose - with a note from Roy saying they had found problems with the initial casting and sent out the replacement.  GREAT customer service - as expected from Barracuda but never taken for granted.

If you bought the update recently you probably have the NEW updated nose.  Just checking tho...

Chris

Exactly Chris.

Same history like yours. Company sent replacement set later.

Thanks for the warning

Tolga : did you get the updated update on the Tempest nose or did you buy the corrected nose recently?  Not trying to be funny, I have this kit as well and ordered the Barracuda corrected nose last year and was sent the package you showed above.  Almost immediately, maybe a week later, I received a small white box with a NEW corrected nose - with a note from Roy saying they had found problems with the initial casting and sent out the replacement.  GREAT customer service - as expected from Barracuda but never taken for granted.

If you bought the update recently you probably have the NEW updated nose.  Just checking tho...

Chris

I don't know what the original problem was with the nose, but below is what mine looked like in an order I received from Ultracast earlier this year. I contacted Roy and attached a photo. A replacement was sent along with an order I placed. The replacement nose had the exact same issue as the 1st. I didn't want anything more to do with it after that.

nTj85n.jpg

TBC:  what is the problem you still had with the Barracuda nose and how does it compare to the Ultracast?  THX  Chris

I thought that the issue with the nose would be evident in the photo I posted, but I guess if you've never seen one before then maybe not. In the picture I posted you're looking at the resin nose upside down and the casting block in front of the radiator intake has already been removed revealing the problem area where the prop hub and backing plate mounts. You can see that it clearly comes to a point behind its casting block. This is the first Barracuda nose I received in an order from Ultracast. I took a photo of this one and sent it to Roy with an explanation. He sent me another (just the nose and not the whole set) along with a small order I placed. The replacement he sent me had the exact same issue. Ultracast does not make a resin replacement nose for this kit-they sell the Barracuda Studios product line.

There clearly is/was a problem with these as I got two of them! I have no problem with Roy or his product line. I have lots of his stuff and it's absolutely top notch and this is the only time I have ever had a problem with any of his products.

• 2 weeks later...