California Highway Patrol P-51D Pursuit plane- finished

BloorwestSiR

white, black and gold stripey spinner!

I gave it some thought and decided I wanted to keep it simple. So I did a white spinner, black props and gold prop tips.

IMG_20150627_000938.jpg

Then for the FLIR, I used these stickers for the reflective backing. They're pre-cut into various diameter circles.

IMG_20150627_233118.jpg

Not a great pic, but here they are in the FLIR turret

IMG_20150627_233535.jpg

The main gear is on now and just drying. Then, it's repairing/installing the tail wheel, prop, and gear doors. And that should be about it.

Carl

Love it!

One of the coolest builds going at the moment - great stuff! :popcorn:

Jim

Thanks guys!

I think I mentioned earlier in the build that I had snapped off the tail wheel. I tried to find a suitable piece of brass rod but all I had was thin walled aluminium. I found a paper clip in our mail and used that to pin the tail gear back in place. With that dealt with, I was ready to move forward with the final assembly.

I installed the F-16 IP screen to use for the FLIR under the coaming. 

IMG_20150629_212447.jpg

I also re-installed the ejection seat and the control stick. The windscreen was attached using CA in the corners.

I then attached the MLG tires. These are the Grey Matter ones which have a flat spot moulded into them. These were carefully CA'ed in place as the gear legs seem to be a bit wobbly. Hopefully they hold up to the task. 

IMG_20150629_212509.jpg

IMG_20150629_212929.jpg

I used regular Tamiya cement to attach the prop spinner to the cowl. There's no engine so I didn't have anything to attach a shaft to. So no playing with this one. 

And that was about it. So here's the first pic of the plan on her own legs. 

IMG_20150629_213620.jpg

IMG_20150629_213640.jpg

IMG_20150629_213654.jpg

I just need to paint the tail wheel and it's all done. 

This has been a really fun build. It was great turning a kit that would have otherwise probably stayed in the stash into a fun project. Now to clear the bench a bit and start something new. Once I paint the tail wheel and take some better pics of course.

Carl