1:32 Hobbycraft Sea Fury

TaffyMan

Hi Guy – Looking forward to this. Seems to be quite a few doing the Sea Fury. I did a short list of what I would like to build and the Trump Mig 3 was out of stock! Trump English Lightning was more expensive and the Sea Fury was on offer. So that was the one for me.

I have read that it is quite a basic kit – This I can confirm!!!! :hmmm: But hay hopefully it will turn out all right.

So the obligatory box picture.

001-CubanSeaFury.jpg

Some of the bits to add and try to spruce her up a bit I have bought the Xtradecals as back up to the scheme I will try to do.

002-CubanSeaFury.jpg

Whilst looking around the tinterweb for research came across this profile (All rights ect just using for example), seems that this layout is very dubious but I do like it

003-CubanSeaFury.jpg

To confirm my thoughts about the authenticity I noticed that the roundels seem to be upside down – doing some research seemed to confirm this!

So have started to pull the artwork together in Illustrator. I have just drawn these up at the moment and they aren’t to scale. Also toying with the idea of trying to get these cut so that I can paint them on, but I will do the decals for a back up

The artwork so far.

004-CubanSeaFury.jpg

That’s it for know need to finish my desert scene first to clean the decks.

Looking forward to joining in on my second Group Build. Any comments or tips always welcome

Till later Happy Modelling.

Taff :D

Great scheme Taff. I am really impressed with the number of Furies in this GB, and the spray job for yours should look spectacular.

:goodjob:

D.

Edited by Derek B

Hey Taff - good choice :thumbsup:

great to see some airscale decals there too!

will be keeping a keen eye on this one...

Peter

Hi Peter Thanks for looking in Yep I have used some of your bits before on my Russian Spit! And looking at this kit I think it’s going too need some more inspiration to try and make something of the pit – hope I’m up to it we will see! See you got the same books I looked at. Still awaiting mine so I will be hum! :innocent: borrowing some of you details.

Love your brass lesson vary interesting and should look real cool when painted.

Here’s to some cool builds of a very cool plane in all its guises.

Happy Days - Taff :D

Great scheme Taff. I am really impressed with the number of Furies in this GB, and the spray job for yours should look spectacular.

:goodjob:

D.

Hi Derek Yep lovely plane. With all this talk of Furies looks like it could have been its own GB. "Furious Furies"

So Derek have you made your mind up what you are going to make and join in!

This will indeed be a good one! Following...

Cheers – Gulp no pressure. :huh:

Looking at this kit I hope I haven’t bitten of to much! But at the end of the day as long as I’m enjoying it! and there is something at the end. Lets hope it still looks like Fury :whistle:

Cooooooool!

Got this one in my stash as well.............looking forward to progress. Dont forget you can spruce the lil gem up with some scratch-building Taff!

Hi Brian - AHHHHHHH I have now had a look through the kit - now I am scared!!! :frantic:

Knew this kit was basic but they don’t even give you guns to go in to the wings – not even a barrel to fill the hole. So I am thinking I needed something to try and improve those scratchy techniques and also a plane I love. But………… :doh:

Anyway okay deep breath - I am now am a circle of calm! Not sure where this one is going to take me but just hope I can do a beautiful sleek looking plane some justice.

So more importantly - when are you going to start the stripy winter German? Hum hint.... hint. :whistle:

Hi Derek Yep lovely plane. With all this talk of Furies looks like it could have been its own GB. "Furious Furies"

So Derek have you made your mind up what you are going to make and join in!

Not yet Taff, but I will enter something (I need to see what I have and have a think about which one to make?).

Cheers

D.

• 3 weeks later...

Not yet Taff, but I will enter something (I need to see what I have and have a think about which one to make?).

Cheers

D.

Cheers Derek – I see you have chosen very nice subject looking forward to seeing that one coming together. She will be a nicer looker me thinks

Taff :D

Hi folks – have been ticking away at this one over the last week or so. Okay where to start - I mentioned ‘Might have bitten off a bit more than I can chew, then WOW you look at the wonders that Peter is doing with his!!!! I now know I have.

But I’m in and you have to learn to do this scratchy stuff somehow, somewhere – no nicer place than here and with you LSP folks to show me the ways of the masters! :bow:

So a very big thanks to Peter for doing all my research for me and showing me the way and what is possible.

Okay first up I started with reshaping the front cowl – getting rid of the facet shapes and rounding it off. Started to do some of the re-scribing. My first attempt at this as you can see I got carried away and did the line to long!!! :wacko: So some filler applied and will get back to this when I do the rest. That was a test run to see how it went. :D

I also have cut out the massive thick walls to the cooling vents and the exhausts. Plus thinned and re-shaped the cockpit entrance – that’s enough slashing and hacking on the fuselage

005-CubanSeaFury.jpg

006-CubanSeaFury.jpg

Moved on to the rudder. This, I will offset slightly, so added some layered thin plastic sheet to the front and then rubbed it back to shape. Also drilled the holes for the hinges (bits of wire). I have stuck a couple of blocks inside the tail for the wires to be stuck into. Just leaves some filler on the other side and the tab actuator to do.

007-CubanSeaFury.jpg

Right with the trail blazed by Peter I started on the front office. With all the detail rubbed off from the inside of the fuselage I used some BlueTac to give me the shapes then started on the IP. Quite pleased with this and my homemade bezels don’t look too bad! Slap some paint on and fill in the holes with decals, should look okay. A bit better than the kit part.

008-CubanSeaFury.jpg

I am going to use the kit cockpit floor but the side instrument panels have to go. So off they come and I fabricated my own. Hope you think they are better. Maybe not 100% accurate but they look more busy and realistic.

009-CubanSeaFury.jpg

010-CubanSeaFury.jpg

Using the same BlueTac method for the shape I cut the Cockpit back panel out and set about adding a bit of detail – not sure how much will be seen once the chair is in, but all good practice – And I think I do need a lot more of that.

011-CubanSeaFury.jpg

Firewall and the Cockpit floor next – I real hope that my measurements workout – a lot of work here if it doesn’t!!!!

012-CubanSeaFury.jpg

Okay that’s it for this update I am pushing my skills barrier here so hope you don’t mind but we all have to learn somehow – this is just a bit of a public way of doing it. So any pointers or tips on how to miniaturise things very welcome!!!!

It does amaze me how you make these tiny bits so accurate and intricate. Do you just have little tiny pixy helpers!!!??? – with my sausage fingers I would struggle to pick some of these bits up let alone work on them. :shrug:

So till next time I look forward to some more inspiration and wonderful work form all others to push me along.

Taff - stunning job - as this is your first bit of scratchbuilding you are setting the bar very high!

The IP looks great - it is you giving me the clues on this one, not the other way around.. this is seriously impressive stuff

agree with Kev, you are mastering new skills almost instantly so the great thing is it opens up a HUGE range of kits that would otherwise be left on the shelf as 'needs too much work...' If you put in the research and build what you see, anything is possible

keep it up, and thrilled anything I do on my Fury helps you along :popcorn:

Peter