Special Hobby Westland Whirlwind Mk 1

Iain

Terrific, two on pre-order with Hannants. Hope my Dad stays on this planet long enough to see my rendition of 'hìs' Whirlwind.

I hope so too, as I'd imagine he'd really appreciate that.

• 2 weeks later...

Terrific, two on pre-order with Hannants. Hope my Dad stays on this planet long enough to see my rendition of 'hìs' Whirlwind.

A bloke at my Air Cadets when I was young had a Dad who flew them too, I think maybe he was even CO of a squadron but it was 30 odd years ago and memory can be a wobbly thing at times.

I must qualify this. My Dad never flew Whirlwinds, I refer to the one that nearly killed him!

In 1941 he was a kid on a railway station near Bath in Somerset, England when one fell out of the sky and crashed about 50 yards away from him. He copped a piece of saiÄ Whirlwind in his leg, and the ensuing events left him with some pretty dark memories.

He has talked frequently about this ever since I was a boy, so a couple of years ago I took him to visit the pilots grave near Salisbury in Wiltshire. A very magic moment for him, putting to rest a few demons.

This aircraft was based at RAF Charmy Down (see the connection), north of Bath.

Dad is 86 now and not in the greatest oh health, but loves talking about events of WW2 and his service in the Korean conflict.

Edited by CharmyDown

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Ossington 1 said:

That crash referred to earlier- was it P6999 of 263 Sqn, crashed Saltford Railway Yard on 9/10/41?

No, P6968 piloted by P/O Ormonde Hoskins was the Whirlwind that fatally crashed in Saltford station yard. P6999 was the other aircraft involved in the mid-air collision, piloted by F/L Humphrey Coghlan who managed to bail out, landing in Weston village High Street. His Whirlwind impacted north side of Kelston Roundhill.

On 28 October 1941 there was eerily a very similar incident when 137 squadron's CO, S/L Johnny Sample lost his life bailing out too low, following his Whirlwind into a barn at Manor Farm, Englishcombe, Bath. The other aircraft managed to recover back to Charmy Down. This, I believe was the crash Wunwinglow's dad witnessed.

Hope that helps

Rob

Edited by CharmyDown
Typo

11 hours ago, alaninaustria said:

Why is there a Guest thread entry that was edited by Mike Maben?? Mike, do you have several acounts?

Nope , just one.  Sometimes I wear my invisibility cloak   :o

9 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

It was a result of the software upgrade a while back, I think Mike may have had a problem logging into his original account.

I'm not sure. I have posts from 2005 that are correct.  :shrug:

No big deal.