FOKKER D-VIII

ruzlkampf

Just for giggles & grins,....here's how I've been making these patterns up using an enlarged black/white diagram with some scale measurements. Not only do I have to get the colors correct, I need to get the sizes of the pattern zeroed in also. :P This was 'version-1' after coloring and printing out, next to my 'version-2. Not as easy as it looks, because the colors I digitally painted this pattern with are not what comes out on the printer. I had to change the colors on my pattern to come out 'correct' off the printer. If I used a different printer, I'd have to re-do this yet again. This is an art, not a science.....which makes it tough to explain. Anyway, another comparison;

post-4413-1255002925.jpg

Okay, so I can hear shouts in the background, "so what ARE you doing printing and cutting out pretty little pieces of paper for,...ya knucklehead?!" :P Aaaaaah yes, young Padwans,....check it out. Always gotta do a visual test. Here we go! :P

post-4413-1255003113.jpg

A bit of tape, and hold it up to the light and see if the size/colors look halfway normal. Hmmmm, this s interesting,...and a lotta fun! :P

post-4413-1255003246.jpg

Shift of the light to see how it lightens/darkens. Now, just to make things interesting....whatever color I use for an undercoat will change these decal colors dramatically. Another variable. Let's move on, eh?!

post-4413-1255003360.jpg

Whoakay, I'm getting it zeroed in sizewise...but it juuuust seems a bit off on the colors. Maybe? Dunno cuz I don't have the real-deal to compare anything to. Here's my first attempt at the bottom colors. Lookin kinda clunky with it being paper/taped and all....but ya'll get the idea?

post-4413-1255003567.jpg

Now, going to the Aerodrome site, I found a thread that was a year in the making about all these colors and patterns. They made up some free downloadable .jpg files to keep people from tearing their hair out, and gnashing their teeth (like I've been doing this week :P ) trying to figure all this stuff out. I'm going to share these with ya'll. Here's what the 'smexpets' say the 4-color pattern is supposed to look like for the top. Compare it to my 'guess-work'.

post-4413-1255003843.jpg

Whoohoo! I wasn't too far off. :P Now, just to show ya'll how bizarre and crazy this can get....here's the patterns for the bottom that are close to what 'they' say is correct. Again, really depends on the weathering, undercoat color, and a plethora of other variables as to what 'correct' is. I'm not going to be too particualr, because even if I nailed this perfectly...my photography skills wouldn't be good enough to show it anyway! heh heh.

Of course I've been working on the D-VIII,.....uuuuuuh, no I messed that up too. :P .....this build is actually going to be an E-V. E-V's were only at the front for about 2 weeks before wings started fluttering off, and I don't think any D-VIII's made it into service. Got the motor made up, and all the 1/2's of everything joined and smoothed. I'm just dithering around with getting the decals ready to go, so I haven't got any progress pics taken yet. Should have some tomorrow night. I'll leave ya'll with a sample of what the bottom 4-color pattern could be. Gotta scram, see everyone tomorrow! Later, Russ

post-4413-1255075314.jpg

Edited by ruzlkampf

He's mad? Nah....

You want mad? I was seriously thinking on painting my living room wall Lozenge with a huge iron cross in the corner. Either that or the ambush camouflage pattern off a Panther tank with the command numbers in Red with white border.

Saner people talked me out of it, as it would have been hell to over paint when I sell the house. :lol:

Sabre

57 days n a wake up.

You sir, are mad...mad I tell you ! :) Thats awesome work and great to see. Keep it up, love your work.

Cheers

Vaughn

Bwhahahaha! Don't know about mad,...but I'm definitely stoopid for sure Vaughn! :lol: Got mixed up yet again, with all the patterns I'm trying to do,...and posted not 1, not 2, but 3 different 5-color lozenge patterns above. Doooooh. Got everyting in this thread edited correctly now methinks? uhhhh, dunno though. :P I'll try to get back on tonight with some more pics of the E-V. Sheesh, I even got the title for this thread wrong. Have decided on an ace for a pilot finally, so I guess it's 1 step forward,...2 steps back. Good thing I'm going down-hill backwards, or I'd never get there? Hmmmm, that still doesn't sound right. :blink: I'm gonna go now;

I meant mad in a good ? way.... :lol: driving yourself to going cross eyed to get things right. I've spent probably 3 or 4 hours researching/ double checking info for ever 1 I've spent on the kit. That's awesome work and it's gonna look great.

He's mad? Nah....

You want mad? I was seriously thinking on painting my living room wall Lozenge with a huge iron cross in the corner. Either that or the ambush camouflage pattern off a Panther tank with the command numbers in Red with white border.

Saner people talked me out of it, as it would have been hell to over paint when I sell the house. :blink:

Sabre

57 days n a wake up.

:) um.... it would have been neat to see but a bit hard on the eyes and brain. I definately think you need to step away from the glue fumes and spend some time with either a keg of good German beer and a lovely blue eyed, blond haired fraulein or a bottle of wine and a dark haired sultry French maiden....

Just a thought.. :lol:

Yippee! Made a little progress today that I want to share. :) Ahhhh, Sabre was just kidding,....just like you were Vaughn. :( I remember painting a '61 VW van a German WW2 night-fighter camo scheme with some grey primer. Yes, German beer was involved....I ended up putting the Becks beercan around my coil for that extra 'coolness factor'. I prefer Scandanavian women with 9-inch heels, or those succulent little short Bolivian wrestler girls with their sultry bowler hats ; but I digress.

Here's the pilot, Jasta, and markings I decided on for this entry. There aren't many choices, because this AC wasn't at the front for very long at all. Check it out!

post-4413-1255160944.jpg

Getting ready to zip everything up this weekend, so I thought I'd show some boring pics of some sub-assemblies before slapping on the PE and paint. Here's the basic interior. This kit comes with really nice resin mg's, but also included the perforated cooling jackets on the PE fret. The Roden triplane came with the mg's without the jackets, but no PE to put on them. I had to try it. Sheesh, these things are so fragile....if a moth landed on them it would crush them. Look kinda neat though, eh?! :)

post-4413-1255161424.jpg

I'll have a pilot in these plane (surprise, surprise) too, so until I get him positioned perfectly...a lot of interior pieces are left out for now. Moving on; Got all the resin bits on the engine, and added a new prop-shaft. The kit propellor (white) has the shaft on it, and I ain't using it. Gonna use the prop off another one of these Fokker builds....just can't recollect which kit.

post-4413-1255161747.jpg

Stubs off the landing gear 'winglet' will be hacked, and an axle used instead.

post-4413-1255161809.jpg

Backside of the engine. Had to scratch some push-rods and rockers because none were supplied with the kit. Dang, these were small! :) I had drilled a hole in the back of the crankcase for the shaft that goes back into the carb (that detail was included in this kit!), but it's invisible so I closed it up again. The tubes for the intakes coming out the fuse sides will be new styrene tubing.

post-4413-1255162111.jpg