21st Century Bf-109 F

spacewolf

Heey Spacewolf! WOW, I've visited that site before! Niiiice starship models. I was making the 1/350scale Polar lights Enterprise and looking for references. Cool stuff.

Can't exactly remember the story behind the red '109. Wasn't it about the WW1 pilots getting together (I was a BIG fan of 'Enemy Ace') and fighting in WW2? Kind of an 'Enemy Ace' sequel? I always thoguht the black/white checkered Spad with the pilot 'Hangman' with sack over his head, and a cut-off noose around his neck was pretty tough. Amongst others. :(

Doing a great job with this build-up dude. Man, can't believe 21st Century got their spinner better than the Hasegawa. I'm going to be building Richthofens all-red triplane in this GB, so I can't wait to see how yours turns out! Model On! Later, Russ

Hey Russ, ya, von Hammer gets persuaded to fly again in WWII even tough he has a real hate on for the leadership of the Reich. It was called 'War in Heaven'.. came out as two comics and then as a double. He ends the war flying a -262 (all red of course) and surrenders his squadron to of all people...Sgt. Rock of Easy Co. !!

I am a big fan too, I was reading the comic as an 8 year old when my dad introduced me to models, he got me the bagged Matchbox kit of the Fokker Triplane in 1/72 and I was hooked on modeling. The 'Hangman' flew several types, I have an issue where the Spad is all black and I remember another with an all black Nieuport .

Steve is a great guy and a great modeler, he's 'THE' ST guy... but Halo has his greatest attention now. He does commission work and has built some spectacular models. If you need help with anything ST related, he's the guy to talk to.

Thanks for the kind words, the kit is very good and easy to work with. If someone were to throw some aftermarket into it it can hold it's own against any of the higher priced kits and yes, they got the spinner right. If you are doing an all red triplane, why not do it as the 'Enemy Ace' ?.... then all we'd need is someone to do the -262 and we'd have a tribute to him !

Cheers

Vaughn

Time to do some work on the gear bays. The gear legs are retractable, held firmly in place by a broad tab part screwed into place. While it is a pain because it means you have to detail and paint with them in place, they are firmly mounted and at the proper angles, so unless you are going with aftermarket bays and gear it's as good as it gets. Detail is not so good in the bays, the molding process left unfinished areas in the wheel bays and the leg bays have no top. The leg bay has a fine lip with a raised edge as if they were planning on putting a part in at a future date.

post-2514-1254037368.jpg

Very nice work Spacewolf!

I have to say, this kit looks better in this regard than the Macchi I'm building. I'm having no end of trouble with the landing gear wanting to fold up on itself and auto-retract. It just won't lock into the downward position. I did paint mine before installing though, and just masked them for the main painting.

Kev

The gear on this is very good, strong, firm lockdown, though I think if it's functioned a bit the lock would get worn very quickly. I have the Macchi as well, haven't started it but now I'll know to keep an eye on the gear, thanks.

I took a file and sanding sticks to the control surfaces. The raised tapes are very over done and look a lot better sanded down...also the 21st Century logo is molded onto the bottom surface of the stbd stabilizer, so that had to go too. Looking at the pic just now as I uploaded it, I realized the 4 holes in the stab forward of the outer hinge will need to be filled as they were access holes that normally would be covered by a cloth patch.... more things to do !!

post-2514-1254110144.jpg

I discovered the Tamiya super thin cement wasn't holding in places. I'd heard of others having this problem with this type of kit but it's my first experience

with it. I hit the joints with super glue.. that'll hold 'em !

Yep, I had similar problems with the Macchi. The Tamiya cement worked effectively only on small areas, with liberal amounts and much clamping/holding. I resorted to CA for joining most of the structural components. I can't say for certain though that your kit uses the same weird plastic as the Macchi; it looks closer to standard styrene in the photos.

Kev

Yep, I had similar problems with the Macchi. The Tamiya cement worked effectively only on small areas, with liberal amounts and much clamping/holding. I resorted to CA for joining most of the structural components. I can't say for certain though that your kit uses the same weird plastic as the Macchi; it looks closer to standard styrene in the photos.

Kev

I've heard that tenax will work and a few strong glues made specifically for acrylic. One thing about the kit is that it fits so well and it literally snaps together so there is little stress on the joints...however I'm going to super glue anything I have doubts about.

Nice progress Spacewolf!

So, these kits molded in grey aren't easier to glue than the semi-transparent ones?

I had hoped that they would be!

Cheers,

Håkan

I built one before and had no problems, but I wasn't doing all these mods to it, it was pretty much OOB. I'd suggest using the hottest glue you can get, stuff for acrylics should work. I have used SC-94 and it worked great, but I haven't found a plastics supply place sense I moved. As I said, Tenax is supposed to work well from what I've heard from others with these kits.

Cheers

Vaughn

Thanks Vaughn!

I'm not sure Tenax is available here, but I often use nail polish remover (ethyl acetate) to glue fuselage and wing seams. I'ts pretty hot and melts the plastic if not used with care!

I haven't tried, but I hope that it'll work on these kits too!

Cheers,

Håkan

Thanks Vaughn!

I'm not sure Tenax is available here, but I often use nail polish remover (ethyl acetate) to glue fuselage and wing seams. I'ts pretty hot and melts the plastic if not used with care!

I haven't tried, but I hope that it'll work on these kits too!

Cheers,

Håkan

REALLY ? ;) ........ I'll have to give that a try. Best applied with a brush ?

Cheers

Vaughn