Those 1/24 Airfix Spitfires... just how bad are they?

Anders_Isaksson

Hello again.  While I am hesitant to buy a whole Hurricane just for the Merlin, I wonder what my chances are of convincing Airfix to sell me the sprue containing the Merlin bits?

While it's probably over 40 years since I last built one, as I recall the model companies didn't compartmentalise their sprues as they increasingly do these days with multiple options either included or in a separate boxing. I think the Airfix 1/24th kits usually had one central spue with parts branching off it, with no outer 'guard' or containing rail sprue as is now common. All of which is the long winded way of saying that you'll need to look up a copy of the instructions and provide Airfix spares dept. with a list of the precise part numbers you require.

You can't really expect to request '1/24th scale Hurricane Merlin engine' and then expect some junior clerk to draw up the list of required parts for you before going to the store room to identify and retrieve them. I learned this after requesting the Sea Harrier parts when my '70s GR1 suffered an accident and I thought an update might be more inspirational then a repair. Actually, I'm glad I didn't now as the GR1's charm has grown on me along with its retro light grey undersides.

All in all, not as convenient as asking Tamiya spares for 'Sprue J' or whatever, but that's the way it is with older kits.