Applied rivets like decals.

ssculptor

Guest Ta152H1

Hi all,

as I've written in my previous post and as controversial as it may seem since I'm currently applying them,these rivets didn't look too correct to me as well at first,since I know that rivets on WW2 German aircraft,excepting a few types,were flush and almost invisible,at least until they were "unveiled" by the paint covering them chipping away.If we add that some aircraft were even wax-polished they become absolutely invisible even from a few inches away.

Upon peeling off the first carrier film I said to myself "Yo Lou...your Dora will look like a flying steam engine!" :blink:

Many amongst us have used grainers to reproduce countersunk rivets,which thing will leave a tiny nice ridge around the rivet that will be enhanced by weathering.Ditto for the various riveting tools...the points create micro "craters" that once again react beautifully to weathering...Radu's riveting tool is great and the new Rosies are just as good...since they use PE wheels made by Radu,which will leave a circular indent oppposed to the squarish ones left by the old tools.

@Radu...I did write that Mr. Bobek re-invented the raised rivet in this era of recessed details but a few passes with Micromesh will make these rivets stand less proud and give the same result obtained by pushing a grainer into the plastic.The pictures don't do these rivets the deserved justice since they look much bigger than they are but that's probably due to the aluminum paint and the light.

Giving a few more coats of alclad to reduce the height of the rivests doesn't frighten me at all,since I'll fill in the panel lines as well,which are way overscale on just about any kit,excepting the ones from Tamiya.Painting andweathering will do the rest.

Anyway....it's only a model,,it'll be the test bed for these new rivets and we'll see how it will turn out.If I'll manage to obtain the result I've got in mind I'll call it a success,or else I'll be the proud owner of a uber-rare flying Pz.Kpfw 38(T) :m0152: !

Cheers

Lou

Edited by Ta152H1

Lou,

i do respect your point of view on using these raised rivets, and your interest to give them a try. I am very interested in seeing how they will look after all the treatment you plan to do, so i will follow your work here. I have seen HGW´s rivets, but could not understand how they would look on a finished kit. So i have to thank you to test them on your kit, and for all of us to see how they´ll behave.

And no rock on with the Kesselnieten-Focke! :D

Thomas

Back to Archers rivets:

Same problems with adherance of the carrier film here. Lee Archer named it on the instruction sheet and points out to use Future ore something else like this. Otherwise a very nice product. Especially if you are building pre-WW2 aircraft, tanks (adding rivets was a nightmare before having Archers product line) or anything else showing proud its rivets.

Regards!

- dutik

Well good news, I just tried my rivet lines out and they look amazing. I somehow got the flush silver ones instead of the raised ones. However I reakon you could really use these to great effect on a flush riveted aircraft by painting first, then weathering and then, lay your rivets on, then mist some camouflage colour over top again to blend and this would show the rivets wearing through the paint......very cool, and an amazing system. Because once you lift the carrier film off you are only left with the rivets themselves.

However I need to apply some raised rivets to some areas of my model....so I got the wrong ones.

Jan....if you are reading this, which rivet set would I need to buy so I can lay down my own raised rivets?

Cheers

Anthony

Guest Ta152H1

Well good news, I just tried my rivet lines out and they look amazing. I somehow got the flush silver ones instead of the raised ones. However I reakon you could really use these to great effect on a flush riveted aircraft by painting first, then weathering and then, lay your rivets on, then mist some camouflage colour over top again to blend and this would show the rivets wearing through the paint......very cool, and an amazing system. Because once you lift the carrier film off you are only left with the rivets themselves.

However I need to apply some raised rivets to some areas of my model....so I got the wrong ones.

Jan....if you are reading this, which rivet set would I need to buy so I can lay down my own raised rivets?

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

there aren't "flush" or "raised" rivets in the HGW range...they're ALL the same!Now you understand what I tried to explain...without success!It's the LIGHT that makes them look more raised and larger in the pictures than they really are...once you've applied them,blended them in with your fave primer,painted and weathered the model they'll treat you to a very nice "flush rivets" effect!If you don't feel comfortable attacking the finished model with Micromesh you can obtaimn an equally realistic result by lightly dry-brushing over them!

On the other hand,If you'll apply them later on in your build,i.e. after the final coat of paint and before lightly blending them in with another mist of paint they'll look like SLIGHTLY raised rivets that will look very convincing on an Henschel HS 126,a Stuka or a certain area were rivets are raised!

If you need rivets that will stand more proud that HGW ones then you'll have to recur to Archer resin rivets,I've used them but I don't like the fact that thrìe decal film is beneath them and cannot be peeled off.No matter how much Solvaset,Daco or Micro Sol/Set you'll use...the carrier's ratherv thick and will eventually show,especially if you cut them in stripes!

Glad you like them as much as I do!

Cheers

Lou

Edited by Ta152H1

Guest Ta152H1

Hey those HGW rivets look nice. I'd like to try them on something like this...

hurricane_iia_10_of_31.jpg

Are they available on U.S. ebay ?

Gotta get me some.

Of Course Mike,

here you go: http://toys.shop.ebay.co.uk/Model-Kits-/1188/i.html?_nkw=hgw&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

The seatbelts are very nice too!

Cheers

Lou

Edited by Ta152H1

• 7 years later...

Hi

Indeed, I use MicroMark from the USA raised rivet decals. They are very GOOD value for money.

Intended for modelrailroads they can be used for our larger aircraft scales as well. On the sheets you also get different patterns such as rounded lines.

I used them on several models, such as the T-2 Buckeye. An impression here:

https://designer.home.xs4all.nl/models/buckeye/buckeye-3.htm

t2-bay1.jpg

(Currently also using a lot of these on the 1/32 Kitty Hawk Bronco. An update on my website on this kit will follow soon).