Mr paint

Lancman

Hi folks, I am considering  using Mr Paint and I believe it can be airbrushed straight from the bottle or does it need something added beforehand? I plan to use the on my HK B-17F ( when I eventually start it that is ) and was wondering if their olive drab and neutral grey were good colour matches, also would 1 bottle of grey and 2 olive drab be enough?

Thanks

Graham

Mr. Paint or MRP are great paints for airbrushing their formulated to airbrush straight from the bottle no thinner required and at very low pressures I spray at 10psi. or below they are lacquered based. They are very, very thin so as stated before they have to be sprayed on using multiple thin layers. They offer many variants of olive drab so check your references for your correct color requirements. You will not be disappointed.

Agreed, they are wonderful spraying paints!   MRP are probably some of the best shooting paints I have ever used.  The one thing I didnt like is the lesser value VS a bottled paint that is not thinned, but the pre-mixed paint does have some advantages I found. Not the least of which is the no muss, no fuss way you can just shake up the bottle (always included is a steel mixing ball) open the bottle and spray.

I would caution on the "lacquer" part of it, as I found even though the carrier is lacquer, and they do shoot and smell like it, once on the model, they act like what they are; acrylics. Ive heard of people using clay/water based washes on them, but I found them susceptible to water based washes just like most any acrylics, and found that AKIs or the like enamel based washes and the like work much better. 

Can only add to those above- Ive tried everything- Tamiya, Gunze, Humbrol, Xtracrylic, Alclads new colour range, Vallejo, Hataka, Lifecolor...you name it, and they all have pro's and cons. I have no hesitation in saying I found Mr Paint to be the best acrylic out there (Im sure someone will disagree, but thats my experience). Excellent colour match, easy to work with, great finish, good value. I am gradually moving over to use it entirely and have been buying 3 or 4 every month- cant speak highly enough of them.

As has been mentioned, they come pre-mixed- dont need any aditions. Good coverage but consider lower pressure (10-15 PSI) and build up coats.

Guest Peterpools

Mr Paint/MRP .. Love ‘em and shoot them straight from the bottle with ony adding a few drops of retarder to the cup.

Shoots beautifully and iI'm all MRP, Mr Color and Hataka lacquers now.

Peter

Wot the others said: MRP = fantastic!  Being that they are so thin though, for a larger model like the B17 (or indeed the Lanc!) I'd get in a couple of bottles of each.  I get mine from HMHobbies here in the UK, the best service possible.

Max

Wot the others said: MRP = fantastic!  Being that they are so thin though, for a larger model like the B17 (or indeed the Lanc!) I'd get in a couple of bottles of each.  I get mine from HMHobbies here in the UK, the best service possible.

Max

I agree they are thin right from the bottle, hence the "ink" reference the company seems to continually want to use. I have never really liked this, since that is a bit misleading, in that the MRP stuff is still paint, and not ink. 

However, even for as thin as they are, I seem to have excellent luck with coverage, and seem to really use less paint than I normally would in the same situation when using non-thinned paint out of the bottle such as MMs enamels.

My only quandary now, is matching the MRP pre-thinned paints with a suitable brush color. I have so far, been able to limp along using semi-suitable brushable Model Master acrylic brush colors.

I realize that MRP is coming out with a line of brushable "aqua" water based colors, but from what I can read these seem to be also for shooting through the AB, but water based without the smell.

Does anyone know if these are brushable at all, or just a water based and pre-thinned version of their normal colors? 

Will add to all the above, gradually switching all my paints over to MRP as needed. The only Yellows and Whites I've had no coverage or bleed through issues with to date. My only gripe is colour matching for when a touch up/repair is needed, the stuff is far too thin to brush paint on and typically no other paint I have matches. This however i think is something being remedied by MRP themselves in releasing brush paintable versions of the airbrush ready colours, the ones available currently in the plastic dropper bottles I have read are still quite thin and possibly a little too thin for brush painting but they look to be in the process of releasing a third line of paints for figure painters which are thicker so here's hoping they release all current colours in that range too.

This however i think is something being remedied by MRP themselves in releasing brush paintable versions of the airbrush ready colours, the ones available currently in the plastic dropper bottles I have read are still quite thin and possibly a little too thin for brush painting but they look to be in the process of releasing a third line of paints for figure painters which are thicker so here's hoping they release all current colours in that range too.

Do you know if their brush paintable version is out yet, or still to be released?

I have two great issues with MRP (Mr Paint). Yes, it is a fantastic paint, but.........

#1) Very expensive in the USA. About $8-9 a bottle shipped to me. That contrasts with Mr Color (also a fantastic paint) at about $3 a bottle shipped.

#2) Availability in the USA. The only US vendor, Hobbyworld USA is frequently out of popular colors and it can be many, many months between availability. Most of the time I can't get the colors I need, even if I wanted to pay the higher price. For example, the two colors you are looking for, olive drab & neutral gray, have been out of stock for months. MRP really needs to find another USA vendor. Buying MRP internationally isn't really cost effective either since shipping and VAT (I think MRP is incorrect in charging EU VAT in orders to the USA, but they charge it and that's that) to the USA nearly doubles the price to about $15 a bottle. Yeah, it's great paint but not $15 a bottle great. 

In addition, while I've found MRP's color matches to be spot on with other colors, I can't really tell you about olive drab & neutral gray because I've never been able to buy the stuff in those colors because it's always out of stock! 

Edited by modelingbob