Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5E/F Tiger II / Special Interest Group (SIG) !

SharkOwl

I'm curious why an adversary aircraft has guns. Most of the pictures I've seen, especially of the VFC-11 aircraft, show them without gun barrels. I thought usually they were removed to reduce weight. Something to do with being an F-5N or not (this one doesn't looks like a -N)? CG reasons? Plus, the left gun barrel looks like there is a lens or something plugging the muzzle, so is it some sort of simulation device?

They look like two bits of plumbing tubing to me. Maybe the rules stipulated that, with a strobe (?¿)

I remember reading about a Red Flag exercise when a fighter got a "gun kill" on a C-130 emulating a Russian cargo aircraft and in the debriefing the "kill" was disallowed as a Crew Chief had the upper door open and flashed a strobe at the fighter behind. So what? Well, it turned out that Soviet cargo planes at the time had a rear gunner, which in the exercise "waxed" the Aggressor before he got his perfect shot.

But, for all I know, some flyer stuck a big wadge of bubble gun in an F-5E tube and it's not a strobe flash to simulate rat-a-tat stuff.

Tony

Personally I think this thread is a really great example of how LSP operates. Many differing thoughts and opinions by a world full of users separated my thousands and thousands of miles, with SMEs abounding offering not only insight, but adding a lot of valuable technical info.

Bravo guys! This is what LSP is about to me, regardless of what one thinks of the subject matter. 

Guys look at this scheme, soon pretty :)

52822dd7d2ef75f578cb7e72fbcaacf9.jpg

Indeed! This one has been on my hit list for a long long time. I took detailed pics of this jet one day at Fallon, and they were used by Fightertown Decals to do decals in 48th scale. I've been shopping them around trying to get someone to do them in 32nd scale, but no luck yet  :hmmm:

I had a chance to talk to a Saints pilot about this scheme, and he told me that it stood out like a sore thumb in the summer months, but was lethal over patchy snow in the winter. Fred K.

Just saw the evidence of your ten kit buy F5Guy on ARC - that's commitment!

Weakening, weakening, esp with dawngrocerystore going down to £34.80 + 12 postage. Somebody bought 5 last time I looked.

I so want an Alconbury "grape" and am weakening...

Tony

Just saw the evidence of your ten kit buy F5Guy on ARC - that's commitment!

Weakening, weakening, esp with dawngrocerystore going down to £34.80 + 12 postage. Somebody bought 5 last time I looked.

I so want an Alconbury "grape" and am weakening...

Tony

Do it Tony... do it! The kit isn't perfect, but it will build into a very nice model. Which Alconbury grape jet are you looking to build? I might be able to help you out with the correct Bort numbers for the nose. Fred.

That scheme alone makes me want to invest in this kit...............

Before VFC-13 painted up this jet, VFA-127 used a very similar pattern on one of their E's, but the base color was tan with green splotches. It looked really cool, but I don't think that anyone has ever done decals for it. Fred K.

The UK price at Hannah's is closer to £70.00

I swear ! My initial message was correct !

Hannants have this morning (quebec EST time) corrected their price from £58.32 to £69.99.

:popcorn:

SharkOwl