A6M 2 Lt Junichi Sasie

spacewolf

Really nice work Vaughn! Your wheel wells are turning out very nicely indeed.

Kev

They are coming along and I must say the info you sent me has been a Godsend ! Thanks man, couldn't be doing this without that info !

Cheers

Vaughn

Beautiful work,man this is what I call precision.Keep up the good work....Pappy1

Thanks Pappy. This is mostly 'eyeball' cut and fit till it looks right. For heavens sake don't get out a pair of calipers !! I've spent countless hours looking at pics and searching for info... hopefully the model will do the real aircraft justice.

Cheers

Vaughn

I've been busy... looking high and low for info and finally found some good shots in some of the books on disc that Kev sent. This is no exact build as there seems to be no standard in most of the info I've seen. Either the aircraft pics are of repaired wrecks or there were different drawings between the Mitsubishi and Nakajima plants... nothing is consistent, so I'm going with an average of what I found. I've got the first well almost 70% complete so I though I'd post a couple of pics to let you guys know I'm still slaving away.

post-2514-1259901485.jpg

post-2514-1259901500.jpg

Very nice work, just wait til you get some paint on it. Zero's have been pretty popular on LSP lately. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Thanks wingman, it's coming along but lots to do before the paint goes on. The more I work on this the more I'm glad it's not a 'shake 'n bake' kit, I've learned so much about this aircraft and gained a whole new appreciation of what a milestone in aviation it was.

Cheers

Vaughn

Yep, that looks pretty good. A little bit of wiring and those funky inner door linkages and you are away to the races. She's coming along nicely.

Sabre

Thanks Sabre, still lots to do but I think it's going to look ok. I have the wire for the tubing and figured out pretty much where everything goes so we'll see how I do.

Cheers

Vaughn

ok, back to work, got some Floyd on and grooving to 'Run Like H***'... time to build. I have a bad habit of not taking pics the first time I do stuff.. on too much of a high to be bothered by documenting things. Now that I have to build the second bay I have the chance to show you how I did the first. The rear of the bay has an angle piece and a recessed panel. The angle was built by using a scrap bit of plastic as a support, cutting a bit of sheet to fit, angling the edges and gluing it in place.

post-2514-1260240972.jpg

post-2514-1260241395.jpg

I blended the edges by painting them with Tenax till they started melting and filled the seams. Once dry I'll sand it a bit and it'll be good to go. I cut thin strips of sheet and glued it in place to represent the stringers that the top skin is riveted to.

post-2514-1260241221.jpg

I roughly drew out the area to be removed, drilled holes and carved out the opening with a # 11 blade. A bit of plastic was cut to fit and fitted, then glued in and blended with Tenax. Once it's dry the edge will be smoothed and rounded.

post-2514-1260243734.jpg

post-2514-1260243744.jpg

post-2514-1260243754.jpg

The problem with building this way is you tend to box yourself in (no pun intended) With no way to get a drill lined up you have to work from the outside. A strong light helps. Pilot holes were drilled and opened up with a needle file. Twisting the file like a drill bit, but in reverse gives the grooves a reaming capability that allows you to open the hole slowly and uniformly if you don't have the right sized drill bit.

post-2514-1260257681.jpg

post-2514-1260257692.jpg