Quickbuild - 2x WNW Junkers D.Is "1919". July 8 - cloudy with a chance of meatballs

seiran01

I thought I'd challenge myself to a lightning round project, to see how quickly I really can finish a kit without taking too many shortcuts.  Enter 2 of Wingnut's new Junkers D.I kits.

Below is the result of 7.5hours work on Sunday - really thought I'd be able to get the fuselages together in that time but not quite. Wonderfully easy build so far.

One will be built with wings off, and one (undecided which) will have a BMW IIIa engine (as seen in Fokker D.VIIF). Both will feature Proper Plane wooden propellers and Gaspatch guns, otherwise will be OOB.  Undecided on paint schemes yet but the BMW-engined one will be some sort of "Luftkrieg 1919" aircraft.

NketvIW.jpg?1

You are reading my mind. I am considering that if the airmen from Germany delivered the planes to "the Baltic states" to fight for local independence, why not color these guys in Lithuanian, Latvian and Estonian markings? One could do that double white cross or the problematic twisted red cross from Lithuania and Latvia, but I like both of them in earlier markings like the dark red and white bands for Latvia or better yet, that knight on horseback with a lance on red, yellow and green fields (like the LVG C.VI). Way too much fun to be had here.

Thanks for letting us watch. I am off to think about that Lithuanian insignia.... or maybe Bulgarian crossed swords? I may need more of these. And that doesn't even count the cool idea to have one parked next to a hot rod with flames on the side....Maybe I just need to finish something... (Doh!)

Tnarg

I thought I'd challenge myself to a lightning round project, to see how quickly I really can finish a kit without taking too many shortcuts. 

Yeah I'm doing that too Mike :rolleyes:

... again.

MInor update, I've not had much time to work on these the last two evenings, the only real progress is painting the seats.  Pic below shows the BMW crankcase on the D.I - you need to remove a little bit from the bottom to fit in the V-shaped support strut under the front of the engine mount. 

Proper Plane's Heine prop is going on this one, with the quick release conical prop hub donated from the D.VIIF kit. After talking with Richard, the BMW-engined Junkers may end up in Japanese markings to support his alternate storyline. These wooden props get more and more beautiful each time I look at them, I really am excited to finally get to stick them on a model while I wait for my Gotha props :)

MqcR10F.jpg?1

Guest Smitty44

Ya, I wasn't quite sure whether or not I would pick one of these up, but the construction really looks different and a bit interesting so perhaps. It does look as if decaling will be a little work though with those corrugations.

The decals with this kit are the thinnest I can ever remember seeing. I was originally thinking along the same lines but they're so thin, I expect they'll go down without any trouble using a hair dryer or coat of microsol (my usual approach). Rather looking forward to trying them!

Excellent work Mike!     I keep seeing this fool thing that I was never intending on buying, but like John, I find the construction and corrugation of the airframe pretty interesting.   Maybe Ill grab one one day............