WnW Roland D.VIa

The1971Show

Hi everybody,

First post! Woot! Woot! A brief introduction, then we'll get down to business - I've built models for as long as I can remember, and towards the end of elementary school I settled on being primarily as armour builder. I've always got something on the go, but my rate of completion leaves a lot to be desired (a completed model every 10 years or so!) Actually, I even recognize a couple of individuals from the armour crowd here - but, I do still have a modest collection of aircraft kits and after having discovered LSP last month I've been inspired to bust out a WnW kit I treated myself to a few years ago but had never worked up enough courage to tackle until now.

photo%201_zps2qemuilp.jpg

At the moment I'm forced to work with my iPhone for photos, so please bear with me.

Spent a couple of hours getting the wood parts for the cockpit together, cleaned up, and base coated. The tan is Tamiya XF-57 and XF-59 at 50-50 which with then get the oil treatment later on this weekend:

be370ad1-4009-482c-a458-da278a3f375c_zps

I have a mind to do the Jasta 23b machine as per the instructions, which seems to be a popular subject. This build will feature a lot of firsts for me, so I'm not out to reinvent the wheel. I've been paying attention to a bunch of the WnW builds here (particularly AndrewS's Roland).

I think I've already got a mind to get the Hannover CI.II kit too...

Darren

Hello Darren, welcome to LSP, I can confidently say that you'll like it here! Having been a WWII aviation modeller, I've started to branch out into WWI simply because of WnW kits and the chaps' builds here on LSP. Good luck with yours. :)

Max

Thanks for the hospitality, guys!

I got some wood graining (is that even a verb?  :hmmm:) done over the weekend, but something just ain't right. This works to my liking on the cabin struts, but for me it's just not obvious enough on larger panels:

001_zpsgif3ezt8.jpg

Mind, I do like the back of that seat (it reminds me of my midcentury teak dining room set) but I think the floorboards need a little more obvious wood grain - I think what I've got here would be OK for 1:72 scale or suchlike, though. I tried to pre-paint some grain with Vallejo acrylics but I didn't like the way that turned out either. But I've got a plan...

Going to start on the engine in the meantime, while a couple of things I've mail ordered are on their way.

Thanks,

Darren

Looks very convincing to me Darren!  I haven't tried woodgraining yet, (and yes, I think it could well be a verb....but then the English language is constantly being mangled anyway..perhaps that's evolution! :) ) so many methods etc to achieve the results but I think you've got it right there to my eyes.

Max

Your wood grain is perfect!  Too many modelers overstate the grain.  Remember, the actual wood variations are fractions of an inch wide and when divided by 32...well, you see what I'm saying.  If it's a matter of what looks good to you then just ignore what I said...LOL.

Thanks for your encouragement, guys! I'm not working to any kind of deadline with this build, so I'm taking my time and before the fuselage halves are joined I think I've got the opportunity to try out different finishing techniques for the wood grain on places which won't be seen on the finished model.

I'll leave the back of the seat as it is because I do like the way it turned out, and I will continue on this tack for the interior framework. I'd like to add a little somethin' to the floorboards, though.

Pete - thanks for the link to your D.VIb! I remember seeing it when I started looking around LSP at the WnW builds. That technique with the Tamiya acrylics looks just like those times I've seen pitch bleeding out of softwoods like pine or fir and I'll take that for a spin as well.

In other news, at the local IPMS meeting last night one of the guys showed up with a 1:32 Su-7 which he said a guy in the Ukraine is selling cottage-produced kits of via Ebay. Looks tasty:

unnamed_zpsrsu7qm8x.jpg

Darren

Edited by The1971Show