Yak-18 Bed Check Charlie 59: Done!

EmperorKai

Excellent work!   What do you have in mind for bomb racks/bombs?

I had some old 1/48th racks and some 250 lb (maybe smaller) type bombs I was thinking of adding to mine, when I get around to it.

Cheers,

Tim W.

Just noticed that Kai hasn't been on since the 9th- Is anybody in contact with him? I hope he's OK-

Howdy folks-

Sorry I've been away for a bit, but when I saw this, I knew I needed to check in.  Lee- thanks so much and hope I didn't worry anyone.  You know you've got friends when your absence is noticed and I appreciate it much.

I've been tied up with some things lately and haven't had anytime to work on Bedcheck Charlie but hope to get back into it soon as it's sitting on the work bench looking forlorn and lonely  :)

Kai

Excellent work!   What do you have in mind for bomb racks/bombs?

I had some old 1/48th racks and some 250 lb (maybe smaller) type bombs I was thinking of adding to mine, when I get around to it.

Cheers,

Tim W.

Tim- great question.  I sketched out the approximate profile of the bomb racks based on the few pics I could find.  Unfortunately, the racks are all in the shadows, so it's hard to get any detail.  They appear to be fairly unique, so I am planning on scratchbuilding them.  I also did some research on Soviet bombs for the time period that might be appropriate, and will probably need to scratch those as well.  Looking at FAB or AO series in the 25-50 kilogram range.

Kai

Thanks much for the kind words and encouragement.  I have started on the ribbing on the underside of fuselage, but after my first pass, it still needs some work and clean up.  Hope to have some pics soon.

Washing Machine Charlie is coming alive. I'll get in my tent or sit in my airplane. Because that's the SAFEST place to be when he pays his nightly visits.

putt putt putt putt putt putt putt putt, BANG, putt putt putt putt putt

you forgot the fart every 18th putt.......Harv

You guys crack me up!   :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Kai

Glad to hear you're alive and well Kai, We checked all the jails in Tijuana, no sign of you there, we checked all the cat houses in Northern Nevada, no sign of you there( but we did have a hell of time getting Harv to leave when we did) We  were about to start calling hospitals.

All the best.

Paul 

Glad to hear you're alive and well Kai, We checked all the jails in Tijuana, no sign of you there, we checked all the cat houses in Northern Nevada, no sign of you there( but we did have a hell of time getting Harv to leave when we did) We  were about to start calling hospitals.

All the best.

Paul 

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Bomb racks? Seriously? I thought he just rolled grenades off the wing.

Ha!  I thought about putting a bag of grenades next to the rear seat but spaced it  :)

I was able to get a session or two in over the last few days, so here's a quick post to catch up.

IMG_9997_600_zpsubsdufui.jpg

Here's the underside of the rear fuselage with the ribbing now done.  An access panel was also added.  Looks much better and was definitely worth the effort.

IMG_0002_600_zpsgqbtayu6.jpg

The dialectric panel in place on the spine and smoothed in.  A layer of Tamiya yellow clear and then Model Master Armor Sand was painted on the back side to recreate the effect.

IMG_9979_600_zps4ozorcm0.jpg

The cowl needed some work- The openings for the exhausts are too thick, so these were carefully thinned down using a Dremel and a small bit.

IMG_9960_600_zpsbls4sdk9.jpg

Here, the mold seam line out of the box.  There are 3 of these that desperately need clean up.   Also, note the edges of the openings of the exhausts.  Before thinning them, it was easy to see that they were too thick.

IMG_9962_600_zpssum3vvvk.jpg

Unfortunately, the seams track through panel and rivet detail, which got wiped out while cleaning up the seams.

IMG_9971_600_zpstqrdevzv.jpg

Here, the panel and rivet detail has been replaced.

IMG_9976_600_zpsltjjmvpy.jpg

The aft edges of the cowling also need to be thinned as well.  I will follow up with pics to show why later, but there should be a small gap along the sides of the cowling.

IMG_9985_600_zpsnx51gcp0.jpg

Finally, the openings in the cowling faceplate were also thinned and opened up a bit.  The opening at the 4:00 position is the original size, while the opening at the 7:00 position has been thinned and enlarged.  The faceplate itself is actually too small in diameter and should be deeper, but I left it as is otherwise.

That's it so far- Thanks for looking!

Kai

Howdy folks-

Sorry I've been away for a bit, but when I saw this, I knew I needed to check in.  Lee- thanks so much and hope I didn't worry anyone.  You know you've got friends when your absence is noticed and I appreciate it much.

I've been tied up with some things lately and haven't had anytime to work on Bedcheck Charlie but hope to get back into it soon as it's sitting on the work bench looking forlorn and lonely   :)

Kai

Wow Kai !

I thought you might have passed out from the fumes and was having such a good dream that you went into hibernation!! :rofl:

Glad to see you back! Fantastic job!!   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Teresa  :)

• 1 month later...

Well, I think I'm back.  A little bit at a time, but I'm here.  With my new job, bench time has been really hard to come by, but I have been picking away at it slowly.  I noticed this weekend that I had actually gotten quite a bit done since my last posting, so here's some catch up.

IMG_0005_600_zpsdulyjud5.jpg

Close up of the dialectric panel on the spine

IMG_0020_600_zpswon4hfw9.jpg

The engine posed on the firewall.  Since not too much of it will be seen, I didn't put alot of work into painting it.

IMG_0024_600_zpsf7uf3naq.jpg

Close up of the front- it's definitely nicely done right out of the box.

IMG_0022_600_zpswt0smago.jpg

From the rear quarter.  Just enough detail that might be seen through the openings in the cowl.

IMG_0010_600_zpskkpwve4t.jpg

The cowl dry fitted in place after an initial base coat around the openings

IMG_0041_600_zpslepmkrml.jpg

With the firewall in place, the cowl was glued in place.  Here, a close up of the small slit opening that should be present, and the reason for the thinning of the plastic that was done earlier.

20080227_datangshan__Yak-18__2_zpsgzgajc

Here, the gap between the cowl and the fuselage is easily seen on this Chinese example. 

IMG_0030_600_zpsraohe80i.jpg

For comparison, the same side.  Even with the thinning of the cowl and the slight rounding of the fuselage edge, the gap is still somewhat understated.

IMG_0037_600_zps66wpjb65.jpg

The gap as seen from the interior of the cowl.

Thanks for looking!

Kai

Thanks guys!

Have some adventures in clear parts to share next

IMG_0076_600_zps8ce2cf3u.jpg

Built up the wings, which was easy enough.  Maybe a little too easy- I forgot to glue the clear cover over the landing light in place before closing up the wings.  In going back to add the clear part, it turns out that it is really a crappy fit.  Basically too small.

IMG_0082_600_zpsypicnujx.jpg

Dug through my bin of clear parts and found this piece.  I think its from a Monogram 1/48 Devastator I built when I was about 10.  Anyhoo, I re-purposed it for Yak-18 landing light cover duty.  It was cut down and gradually worked into shape.

IMG_0088_600_zpsizpf90pc.jpg

It was then buffed out with Novus plastic polish system.  Here, the new landing cover with the original kit piece on the left.  

IMG_0093_600_zps5o3gryao.jpg

Next face palm.  The kit windshield has a 2 seams that run right through the upper pane.  Really poor choice for placement.  

IMG_0094_600_zpsfhy7qgqp.jpg

Hard to tell, here, but it took quite a bit to scrape it smooth.  Right after taking this pic, I started buffing it... and of course cracked it.  Nice one right down the center of the main windscreen too.  bah.

I did get it all cleaned up though and it's not TOO noticeable.  

More pics soon

Thanks for looking!

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Clunkmeister

Kai,

This build is looking positively amazing! I can almost hear the poppety pop pop wheeze from that coffee grinder radial.