I’ve had this kit for 8 plus years but up until now I had not felt comfortable enough with my skills to take it on. I’ve heard good things about the kit and from what I’ve built so far, it seems to be a good fit. Since I’m glutting for punishment, I’ve decided to convert it to a late model TBF-1. I got the idea after reading the account of a Marine crew from VMSB-143 while stationed on Guadalcanal. The only problem is I have no reference photos to work with and even the plane number would be guess work. So while I really want to build this particular aircraft, I’m still unsure in the end what I will do. I do have some other ideas with a few reference photos.
Here is what I have for this build:
Avionics TBF-1C cockpit (includes some of the turret parts)
Eduard interior set
MRP and MR. Color paints
Here are my refs:
Osprey TBF/TBM Avenger Units of WWII
Squadron TBM/TBF Avenger in Action (Aircraft #82)
Squadron TBF/TBM Avenger in Action (2011)
Detail & Scale TBF/TBM Avenger (Vol 53)
I’ve done tons of research for this conversion but there are some things I’m just not sure about. That’s where you guys come in. Hopefully there are some Avenger experts out there that can help me out if there is something that I’m missing.
Here is what I’ve read about the late model TBF-1 differences for the 1C:
- No rear cockpit. Only the 1st 50 Avengers were delivered with the rear cockpit controls
- The rear windows are the same as the 1C
- Fuselage mounted gun
- No wing mounted guns
- Only slight differences in the front cockpit
- Antenna mask further forward and angled back slightly
- Bronze green cockpit with Interior green for all areas behind turret separation glass
Here are some things I’m not sure about:
-Position of the radio operators seat
-What equipment replaced the 2nd cockpit
Here is some of the work I’ve done so far starting with the engine.
I painted the exhaust pipes with MRP exhaust metal. I used various shades of pastels along with pigment fixer for weathering. I should have taken for photos of the process...
Here is the engine all together with some weathering...
Trumpeter did a nice job with the engine, too bad most of it will be covered up
Thanks for stopping by fellas