Drool

• harvey, Out2gtcha, David66 and 2 others like this

#2 Jeff

Jeff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:44 PM

Oh yeah...............so here is an idea, and I know there may be a tirade...and it only popped into my head because it is early here in B.C., but with all the threads about 3D printing and such, maybe we should all chip in and get a 'communal' 3D printer and get one of you computer experts out there ( which by the way I am NOT) and take on one or two things for each other...................... now before the flood of all the practical "Why we can't " stuff comes flooding my way, it was only a random thought and a "What IF" idea, and I know there is a LOT more to doing this than just printing a dream up....... we do " what if models', so here is a " what if" idea. Is this not how we got into the air and to the moon....................  'what if'??  just food for thought and discussion... who knows...................

And yeah , Tony, lets dream, and while we are at it , lets dream big , dreams are free.....

• harvey, David66, MARU5137 and 1 other like this

#3 BiggTim

BiggTim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

Like our own version of Shapeways?

• harvey, David66 and Jeff like this

In progress: 1/32 Trumpy P-38L (very slowly), and some others.....

Completed in 2017: Trumpeter Bf109E-4, 1/16 Waffen SS figure

Previous Completions: Hasegawa F6F-3 Hellcat, Hase Me-163 Jagerfaust , 1/16 Fokker DVII Scratchbuilt Wooden Skeleton

#4 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 22,516 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

• harvey and David66 like this

#5 Jeff

Jeff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:24 PM

Like our own version of Shapeways?

Yeah................. I know it's probably far fetched, but yes, that is what was buzzing around in the space between my ears......

• harvey, David66 and MARU5137 like this

#6 Jeff

Jeff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

And , also there is SO much talent on this site it would be a shame not to tap into it.......  just a random thought

• alaninaustria, harvey, David66 and 1 other like this

#7 Bruce_Crosby

Bruce_Crosby

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:08 PM

We could call it “Airways”.

Just a thought.
  • harvey, David66, MARU5137 and 1 other like this

#8 Jeff

Jeff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

Maybe we are on to something? I like the  'new company' name Bruce :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

• David66 and MARU5137 like this

#9 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:51 PM

Oh yeah...............so here is an idea, and I know there may be a tirade...and it only popped into my head because it is early here in B.C., but with all the threads about 3D printing and such, maybe we should all chip in and get a 'communal' 3D printer and get one of you computer experts out there ( which by the way I am NOT) and take on one or two things for each other...................... now before the flood of all the practical "Why we can't " stuff comes flooding my way, it was only a random thought and a "What IF" idea, and I know there is a LOT more to doing this than just printing a dream up....... we do " what if models', so here is a " what if" idea. Is this not how we got into the air and to the moon....................  'what if'??  just food for thought and discussion... who knows...................

And yeah , Tony, lets dream, and while we are at it , lets dream big , dreams are free.....

It is not the printer that is the problem. Adequate 3D printers are available for $500 and up. That is chicken feed in terms of industrial machinery costs. A mere piffle.

What really costs is the creation of the digital file from which the item is printed.  That takes weeks of intensive labor. Who is going to pay for that?  You ask it be done for free? Who is going to donate all the dozens or weeks of man-hours of intensive labor to create the 3D drawing? For free? Get real guys. Besides even if we could find such a person he would never finish it because the guys would constantly be complaining about the size and location of the rivets, panel lines, etc.

I do like the original idea but it is what we call a pipe dream.

Another pipe dream, which I liked, was to scan a smaller scale model and print it in 1/32 scale. So far that too is a pipe dream, as has been pointed out by a computer guru or two on this forum quite recently.

Another not so pipey a pipe dream is to make the model from scratch. Gee, what a novel thought. Make a model from scratch, just like real model builders used to do as a matter of course in the 1920's, 1930's, 1940's.

Gosh, real model builders. 

Whodathunk it?

:o

• David66 and Gigant like this
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#10 RLWP

RLWP

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:01 PM

Not my dream

Richard

We are normal and we want our freedom!

#11 Jeff

Jeff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:21 PM

It is not the printer that is the problem. Adequate 3D printers are available for $500 and up. That is chicken feed in terms of industrial machinery costs. A mere piffle.

What really costs is the creation of the digital file from which the item is printed.  That takes weeks of intensive labor. Who is going to pay for that?  You ask it be done for free? Who is going to donate all the dozens or weeks of man-hours of intensive labor to create the 3D drawing? For free? Get real guys. Besides even if we could find such a person he would never finish it because the guys would constantly be complaining about the size and location of the rivets, panel lines, etc.

I do like the original idea but it is what we call a pipe dream.

Another pipe dream, which I liked, was to scan a smaller scale model and print it in 1/32 scale. So far that too is a pipe dream, as has been pointed out by a computer guru or two on this forum quite recently.

Another not so pipey a pipe dream is to make the model from scratch. Gee, what a novel thought. Make a model from scratch, just like real model builders used to do as a matter of course in the 1920's, 1930's, 1940's.

Gosh, real model builders. 

Whodathunk it?

:o

Can I CLEAR up ONE thing PLEASE??????????????????????????? I did NOT ask it to be done for FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I REALLY wish we could get off that band wagon, we all KNOW it is expensive and if we can DREAM as to what is the title of this original post, they why can't we have a hypothetical conversation...............the other post here regarding someone who was asking for deal, got an ear full, probably because like ALL of us he was asking with not really knowing all it entails, and after all it is all about economics. One never knows unless one asks................. I guess we are all too serious here... I should have known and left well enough alone. My apologies to you Tony for even engaging I hope I didn't ruin your initial thought in your post.....

• David66 and MARU5137 like this

#12 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:01 PM

I can't get excited or drool. It's a tool for talented people who can do CAD. Bit like looking at a £5,500 cello thinking I could actually play it.

I have also come to the conclusion that the only way to see a 1/32 plastic Draken is to get the card model and copy it in styrene card of various thickness, scratchbuilding stuff like landing gear.

Tony
  • ssculptor, David66, Jeff and 1 other like this
Finally spraying again

#13 SCRATCH BUILDER

SCRATCH BUILDER

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:32 PM

I think i could be in on this, brilliant idea!  I have been knocking around the idea to do something state side with a reliable partner.

• David66 and Jeff like this

Rick

****If you can't find it, Make it.****

#14 RLWP

RLWP

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:23 PM

I can't get excited or drool. It's a tool for talented people who can do CAD. Bit like looking at a £5,500 cello thinking I could actually play it.

I have also come to the conclusion that the only way to see a 1/32 plastic Draken is to get the card model and copy it in styrene card of various thickness, scratchbuilding stuff like landing gear.

Tony

Here's a start:

SAAB_J-35F_Draken_0012.jpg

Richard

Love the cello analogy

• Tony T, David66 and Jeff like this
We are normal and we want our freedom!

#15 Jeff

Jeff

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:24 PM

Nice drawing, I'd love one like that for a Mosquito and Spitfire.... that's sweet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users